Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'd try....

Roy - Suzuki - Caufield
Slaf - Dach - Andy
RHP - Newhook - Moneyhands
First fall,it will be Caufield - Suzuki - Roy if the rookie plays on that line. Lefty-Righty does notably in this case.Caufield played LW all of last season before his injury last year and was LW on the PP throughout his NCAA career.

Roy, as a lefty, has played RW in Juniors.

I'd also prefer Slaf - Newhook - Moneyhands and RHP - Dach - Anderson because of the chemistry between RHP and Anderson last season.

Reactions: ML16

Jul 6, 2016
Roy reminds me of Alex Tanguay (when he started with Avs) . You don't see him on the ice, and suddenly he is making an amazing pass or score an important goal.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Roy reminds me of Alex Tanguay (when he started with Avs) . You don't see him on the ice, and suddenly he is making an amazing pass or score an important goal.

Last week, I said I have his range somewhere between Toffolli and C Perry. He's on track with potential to be in the middle of those two for who they were in their prime. I know C Perry was very good in his prime and then the nit pickers come along and say that's a bit much. Well, some need to learn how to read.... in the middle of those two and yeah, it's a decent range between Toffoli and a prime Perry

Roy is our best prospect at the moment. His development resume is top notch and he just keeps producing every step along the way. He's a grade A to me and same status I had Guhle at pre NHL last year.

I just wonder what happens if he forces his way on the roster. Pretty sure Ylonen is on waivers then.

Didn't C Button have Roy ranked 1st on our prospect pool? I agree.

Jul 6, 2016
Last week, I said I have his range somewhere between Toffolli and C Perry. He's on track with potential to be in the middle of those two for who they were in their prime. I know C Perry was very good in his prime and then the nit pickers come along and say that's a bit much. Well, some need to learn how to read.... in the middle of those two.

Roy is our best prospect at the moment. His development resume is top notch and he just keeps producing every step along the way. He's a grade A to me and same status I had Guhle at pre NHL last year.

I just wonder what happens if he forces his way on the roster. Pretty sure Ylonen is on waivers then.

Didn't C Button have Roy ranked 1st on our prospect pool? I agree.
Perry was and still is a very mean beast on top of his offensive prowess. Not the same style at all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Perry was and still is a very mean beast on top of his offensive prowess. Not the same style at all.

Style vs performance? You do know you will never find an exact comparison but we do it all the time.
More in line with the goal scoring, hockey IQ, and skating. Similar in those areas in terms of potential.

Both Toffoli and Perry. I stand firm... I think he falls in the middle of those two. I think he's better than Toffoli... how much better is the question.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Last week, I said I have his range somewhere between Toffolli and C Perry. He's on track with potential to be in the middle of those two for who they were in their prime.

I know C Perry was very good in his prime and then the nit pickers come along and say that's a bit much. Well, some need to learn how to read.... in the middle of those two.

I totally see the similarities in Perry's game when he was with us. Not a 1 to 1 match but similarities. Even when I qualified it with 'without the nastiness' people still weren't having it. The anticipation, smarts with the puck, lack of barn burning speed. Roy doesn't have Perry's strength but you can see he uses what he has for good puck protection a la Perry.

I've got a feeling that no matter how much we try to nuance it people will still lose their minds over the comparison. And I'm fine to just leave it there lol

Jul 6, 2016
First fall,it will be Caufield - Suzuki - Roy if the rookie plays on that line. Lefty-Righty does notably in this case.Caufield played LW all of last season before his injury last year and was LW on the PP throughout his NCAA career.

Roy, as a lefty, has played RW in Juniors.

I'd also prefer Slaf - Newhook - Moneyhands and RHP - Dach - Anderson because of the chemistry between RHP and Anderson last season.
That woud make three good balanced lines. But whre is Gallagher ???? Pezz, Evans, Pearson are good enough for 4th line. Ylonen has to show more. And I prefer not talk about Armia. Dvorak should be back soon , too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I totally see the similarities in Perry's game when he was with us. Not a 1 to 1 match but similarities. Even when I qualified it with 'without the nastiness' people still weren't having it. The anticipation, smarts with the puck, lack of barn burning speed. Roy doesn't have Perry's strength but you can see he uses what he has for good puck protection a la Perry.

I've got a feeling that no matter how much we try to nuance it people will still lose their minds over the comparison. And I'm fine to just leave it there lol

There are zero exact comparisons we can find. Think about both Toffoli's and Perry's goal scoring, hockey IQ, and Skating. Similar potential in those areas.

Perry did fight from time to time. Yeah, he had more grit than Roy but that's not the area I'm comparing against. Roy is not soft at all but he's not going to be like Perry in the gritty areas. I agree with that.

I find Toffoli comparison too low. Hence, bringing in Perry into that picture.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That woud make three good balanced lines. But whre is Gallagher ???? Pezz, Evans, Pearson are good enough for 4th line. Ylonen has to show more. And I prefer not talk about Armia. Dvorak should be back soon , too.

Right now, I'd have RHP with Gallagher on opposite wings. Could be with one of Monahan, Dvorak, or Evans.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
There are zero exact comparisons we can find. Think about both Toffoli's and Perry's goal scoring, hockey IQ, and Skating. Similar potential in those areas.

Perry did fight from time to time. Yeah, he had more grit than Roy but that's not the area I'm comparing against.

I find Toffoli comparison too low. Hence, bringing in Perry into that picture.
From what I can see he has more to work with than Toffoli. There's borderline star potential there I think. He could come just shy of it but those areas of concern which were valid seem not to be much a hindrance. When you can see that's the case you can't help but wonder how good he can be. All he's done is dominate since we've drafted him. The upside is there and the knocks have been overblown/not much a concern.

he can be an enormous addition to our top 6 at some point. Could easily happen sooner than later. You add him and Newhook, along with Dach and Slaf getting better and our top 6 starts to look more legit. Might take some time but there's great pieces imo.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
From what I can see he has more to work with than Toffoli. There's borderline star potential there I think. He could come just shy of it but those areas of concern which were valid seem not to be much a hindrance. When you can see that's the case you can't help but wonder how good he can be. All he's done is dominate since we've drafted him. The upside is there and the knocks have been overblown/not much a concern.

he can be an enormous addition to our top 6 at some point. Could easily happen sooner than later. You add him and Newhook, along with Dach and Slaf getting better and our top 6 starts to look more legit. Might take some time but there's great pieces imo.

I see it the same. Trying not to get to hyped up but man... Roy is on a great development track and yeah, I'd say top 6F at least.

Bedard loved playing with him. That says a lot to me because a star like that would have high expectations and know what they are talking about.

It's early but it looks like the debate with Roy is if he is a top 6F or a top line forward.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I see it the same. Trying not to get to hyped up but man... Roy is on a great development track and yeah, I'd say top 6F at least.

Bedard loved playing with him. That says a lot to me because a star like that would have high expectations and know what they are talking about.

It's early but it looks like the debate with Roy is if he is a top 6F or a top line forward.
You put him with Nick and CC or Dach and Monahan tomorrow, not only would Roy look better but those 2 lines would likely improve quite a bit.
That's when he'd really shine. The best is yet to come.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would it be a shocker if Slaf starts in the AHL and Roy starts in the NHL?

We like to think Roy can make it but then, I don't see much conversation on who doesn't make it if Roy does? Does it come at a cost of Ylonen (waivers) or Slaf playing big minutes in the AHL?

A small part of me now thinks this has higher probability than we might have been considering.

If Roy makes it at a cost of Ylonen (put on waivers), where does Roy play? 4th line in Ylonen's spot? Hope not and doubt it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, Roy has been the much better player.

Might come down to that. Roy vs Slaf.

Why? Because both players should either be top 6 in the AHL or NHL. Playing either of them in a depth or 4th line role with limited min's (either NHL or AHL) should not be part of any plans.

Some may think Roy is battling Ylonen, Heineman, Farrell but I think it's a Roy vs Slaf competition in terms of a top 6 spot or a high usage 3rd line with PP time.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Might come down to that. Roy vs Slaf.

Why? Because both players should either be top 6 in the AHL or NHL. Playing either of them in a depth or 4th line role with limited min's (either NHL or AHL) should not be part of any plans.
Agree and if I had to choose, no question Roy is ahead of Slaf at this point in their career.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
I wish he had explosion in his step and a puck possession type game… but he clearly has an elite sense of offense, can dish the puck well, good in tight spaces, has the hands…. on top of that he’s defensively sound. It’ll translate to the NHL if he’s paired with talent.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Good on Roy for finding open space and putting it past the goaltender.

Also good work by Ylonen to get that play started and by Simoneau for recovering the puck and finding Roy.

He was quiet after that, but it’s what I expect out of him. To be in the right place at the right time and setting up nice plays.

Lots of work still to be done, we’ll see how he looks in the rest of the preseason.

Still don’t see the Perry thing, but each his own.

Jul 6, 2016
Good on Roy for finding open space and putting it past the goaltender.

Also good work by Ylonen to get that play started and by Simoneau for recovering the puck and finding Roy.

He was quiet after that, but it’s what I expect out of him. To be in the right place at the right time and setting up nice plays.

Lots of work still to be done, we’ll see how he looks in the rest of the preseason.

Still don’t see the Perry thing, but each his own.
Me too. very "Alex Tanguay" type of style. But habs will have no choice but start him in Laval. No place, and low possibilities of getting rid of a vet player like Armia, or Pearson right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: rve24 and MadMslm

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No, Roy has been the much better player. He's a very cerebral player who's ahead of the play most shifts and that benefits his teammates.
Roy has been playing in the Q… two levels lower than the NHL.

Personally I’d like them both in the AHL. They’d dominate and gain confidence.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Joshua Roy showed good hands, scored a goal. Can check, good defensive, solid player. Good hockey IQ. Not long before he in NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad