Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
When you say bust what do you mean by that? I hear that all the time its playoffs of bust! Bust what? Another rebuild? I'm curious to know what fans mean when they say its playoff or bust
Bust as in the expectations set out by the organization. If they don't make the playoffs then it seems that the rebuild is kind of a bust.

But to be fair if we don't make the playoffs this year we would just have to change the coach because we have the skilled players that we need.

Reactions: KingAlfie11

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
When you say bust what do you mean by that? I hear that all the time its playoffs of bust! Bust what? Another rebuild? I'm curious to know what fans mean when they say its playoff or bust

I would say if they miss the playoffs this year, "bust" means firing the coach and GM, considering they've been here for so long.

If we miss the playoffs again next year, with a new coach, "bust" means a retool of the core. After next year, you're in Oilers/Sabres territory. It's a failed rebuild.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Bust as in the expectations set out by the organization. If they don't make the playoffs then it seems that the rebuild is kind of a bust.

But to be fair if we don't make the playoffs this year we would just have to change the coach because we have the skilled players that we need.
team won’t come out and say playoffs are the expectations, which ones did the organization mention.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
I would say if they miss the playoffs this year, "bust" means firing the coach and GM, considering they've been here for so long.

If we miss the playoffs again next year, with a new coach, "bust" means a retool of the core. After next year, you're in Oilers/Sabres territory. It's a failed rebuild.
Thank You for the explanation, makes sense

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's no different than the countless guys that don't practice during the week in the NFL, you get all the "will he play, won't he play, is he actually seriously injured, are they keeping information from the fans"

He's not 100%, no chance. He's also not months away. If he has to take an extra week, so be it.

They are taking their time with him, they want him in the lineup ASAP, they want to come out of the gate strong.

If that means keeping Norris out an extra week, they will do that. They will keep him on the IR, and play him as soon as he's able.

They won't be putting him on LTIR unless there is no chance he's ready within the month. They want him on the ice, period.

They are being cautious, and as much as it sucks that he's going to be behind the 8-ball with regards to game situations in camp, there is nothing the Sens can do, he will be in the exact same predicament in a months time if he came off the LTIR and jumped into the regular season with no preseason.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Full Health or we miss the playoffs.

I'd like to know how Norris is going to go from not skating at all with the team to "hopefully" playing a preseason game in two days.
Spoiler. He won’t

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
So... should I panic more or less?

Apparently it's all in his head

f*** my life. Now they are implying it on Norris’ mental health. Why put this type of undue pressure on a long-term asset? Is their some sort of self-serving/preserving tone as everyone knows how vital a winning start is for this team (and their jobs)?

I won’t rush Norris, this has to be done right this time.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
“However, placating these players and enabling them to forego surgery, wasting months of potential strength building time in the process, will not put them in a better position next season. After last year's circus, Pinto has already ran out of gas. The same is entirely possible for Norris next year given today's state of affairs, and the rush he'll be in to be ready for camp. Totally avoidable if approached with the long view in mind. Sure, they have agency, but if there was trust in the organization's philosophy, if these young players were surrounded with medical staff and management who have a track record of success, the outcome would almost surely be different.”

I wrote this in January of this year after Norris re-injured his shoulder. Sure enough, he isn’t ready for this season. This is an embarrassment, was entirely predictable, and threatens our playoff prospects once again.

This organization does not have credible medical staff. There are plenty of examples over the past number of years. I realize that the player sought outside medical opinions in this situation, and followed that guidance. My issue is that our medical staff have a track record of both getting it wrong, as well as not being listened to when they get it right (which is the Norris situation). Very little credibility and added value.

Here’s hoping that Steve Staios can turn over our medical team and ensure credibility and trust amongst them and the players. It’s long overdue.

And for those keeping score, trotting Norris out again when he couldn’t take faceoffs last year was squarely a managerial mistake.
You can't force players to take surgery they don't want to take. We don't want an Eichel situation on our hands. Norris wanted to try rehab first, even though there was the possibility he would need surgery no matter what. He rehabbed it as much as as he could up to the point where he was risking the start of this season, then pushed it as hard as he could to see if the rehab was enough. It wasn't enough, so he got surgery, and now he'll be ready for the start of this season.

The team handled it perfectly. They let Norris seek the medical advice from multiple experts. They then respected Norris' wish to go the rehab route, up until the point where he was risking the start of this season.

The exact same situation played out with Robertson on the Leafs, and Caufield on the Habs. They both injured their shoulders and tried rehab or even play through the injury up until January, where they, like Norris, got shoulder surgery to be ready just in time for the start of this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad