Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread or not, but Mendes was on Coming in Hot and said Norris looks good in intense 3 on 3 battle drills; initiating contact, aggressive and physical. So based on that, I am confident he will play in the final preseason game next Sat. and be ready for the start of the season. At least that's what I am telling myself.

They are trying to fool the media by making Boko wear the number of Norris for these drills.

Norris is actually being held in a secret CTC infirmary. Only Brady Tkachuk and Spartacat are allowed to visit him to deliver food and anecdotes about the fun parties Norris is missing.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Norris said this in early August:

"Yeah, I feel good," Norris said. "The first four to five months was the main grunt work. I kinda started to turn a corner probably about a month ago or so (July). And I'm feeling really good. I've been on the ice a ton. I'm back to training normally now which is kinda nice."

Norris does say he's still going to rehab, but says he should be ready to play in some of the club's eight preseason games, which run from September 24th to October 7th.

"I mean, yeah, I would assume so," Norris said. "My goal is to be ready for opening night. Obviously, I'd like to get some preseason games in if that's the case. I don't think I'm going to get thrown right to the wolves on night one. Obviously, if things are looking good, and I think they are right now, then I should be ready."

Even as far back as early August, there was some doubt that Norris would play the early pre-season games, as he was still doing some rehab. It's no surprise he started training camp with a non-contact jersey.

He's still on track, and there's been no indication of re-aggravation or needing another surgery as some have rumored.
I agree, and have held this attitude (willfully, but sucessfully) up to today. The fact that they're changing course today from what they said last week in the course of a months-long rehabilitation and evaluation is challenging my confidence a bit.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Norris said this in early August:

"Yeah, I feel good," Norris said. "The first four to five months was the main grunt work. I kinda started to turn a corner probably about a month ago or so (July). And I'm feeling really good. I've been on the ice a ton. I'm back to training normally now which is kinda nice."

Norris does say he's still going to rehab, but says he should be ready to play in some of the club's eight preseason games, which run from September 24th to October 7th.

"I mean, yeah, I would assume so," Norris said. "My goal is to be ready for opening night. Obviously, I'd like to get some preseason games in if that's the case. I don't think I'm going to get thrown right to the wolves on night one. Obviously, if things are looking good, and I think they are right now, then I should be ready."

Even as far back as early August, there was some doubt that Norris would play the early pre-season games, as he was still doing some rehab. It's no surprise he started training camp with a non-contact jersey.

He's still on track, and there's been no indication of re-aggravation or needing another surgery as some have rumored.

Those quotes indicate that even Norris himself was hedging whether he'd actually be ready for opening night. He qualified his return by saying "If things are looking good".

Well... in the last week or so, the team has publicly announced that he "tweaked" his shoulder, and then he had another "setback" yesterday.

I'd characterize that as an indication of some sort of re-aggravation. How serious it is no one but the team knows.

Regardless, this division is going to be incredibly competitive, and the best-case scenario is that we enter the season with one C who'll have to be eased into game situations and another who has to catch up after missing all of camp. The worst-case scenario is that we start without them both.

Not great considering how slim the margins will be this year.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Brucey sounds the alarm: Garrioch calls Norris' shoulder injury setback a 'major red flag'

If he doesn't play Saturday, that means he could start the season on LTIR.

Other tidbits:

The urgency to sign Pinto has to be stepped up. They're not far apart - only a few hundred thousand dollars difference. It can be done with one phone call. Bruce would get the guy signed, into camp, and worry about the cap compliance later.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Brucey sounds the alarm: Garrioch calls Norris' shoulder injury setback a 'major red flag'

Other tidbits:

The urgency to sign Pinto has to be stepped up. They're not far apart - only a few hundred thousand dollars difference. It can be done with one phone call. Bruce would get the guy signed, into camp, and worry about the cap compliance later.
Brucey is sure Pierre has a few “tricks up his sleeve”.
Oh yeah, for sure Pierre’s sleeves are filled with tricks. No problem. He also has maaaaany plans so sit back everybody, it’s all under control. :)
Love brucey’s big infectious smile here. Who needs sunshine when you got the joy of Bruce around.

• Haha
Reactions: armani

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Other tidbits:

Unfortunately there's a huge difference for the team between a $1.5M AAV and a $1.8M AAV. They can ice a full team with the former.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I feel an occasional twinge in my left deltoid today. It might be a sympathetic response from thinking about Josh's shoulder so much. I gotta take a break from this thread.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I played rec hockey today for the first time 6 months after shoulder surgery. And it only hurt a little bit. And I’m not even a professional athlete. Sheesh. Be better Josh. Deeds not words brother.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bruce also said PD has tricks up his sleeve!!
spit-take.gif

Dorion the capologist .. I think we've seen that in action this off season

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I played rec hockey today for the first time 6 months after shoulder surgery. And it only hurt a little bit. And I’m not even a professional athlete. Sheesh. Be better Josh. Deeds not words brother.
Are you snapping back draws or taking any big hits, or throwing hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad