Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
massive reg flag....if he keeps missing time we have to also question his development and if he will get better...

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Conspiracy time. Sens put Norris on LTIR. They then sign Pinto and wait until they can fit Norris under the cap or it at least buys them time. Also if this was discussed previously I apologize and please disregard my entire post history.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm starting to wonder. I mean, wasn't the kid playing golf a month ago? I know golf isn't exactly a physical sport or anything, but there is a lot of shoulder usage happening with it. So either they're playing possum to get some cap space, or that shoulder is trending to be a weak spot indefinitely. And honestly, both options are somewhat discouraging (for different reasons). Unless there's a third option I'm not seeing here.

Reactions: gab6511 and armani

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I'm starting to wonder. I mean, wasn't the kid playing golf a month ago? I know golf isn't exactly a physical sport or anything, but there is a lot of shoulder usage happening with it. So either they're playing possum to get some cap space, or that shoulder is trending to be a weak spot indefinitely. And honestly, both options are somewhat discouraging (for different reasons). Unless there's a third option I'm not seeing here.
There are many possibilities.

He might be getting used to the new normal with his shoulder, learning to discern what "tweak" is just temporary discomfort and what is a symptom of new damage. Lots of physio, imaging, strength testing, super cautious.

Or maybe they though it was fine, and each hiccup in pre-camp skates, practice, and physio is awakening a realization that he'll need another surgery before being able to play again.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There are many possibilities.

He might be getting used to the new normal with his shoulder, learning to discern what "tweak" is just temporary discomfort and what is a symptom of new damage. Lots of physio, imaging, strength testing, super cautious.

Or maybe they though it was fine, and each hiccup in pre-camp skates, practice, and physio is awakening a realization that he'll need another surgery before being able to play again.

Jebus.....if he needs another surgery, we're in big trouble. Then we need to magically find a legit 2C if want to have any chance of making the playoffs, let alone being a contender.

It really amazes me how tricky shoulder injuries are these days. Reminds me of the 70s and 80s, where one major tear in the knee would kill a career.

I also wonder if it's time to look at how the kids are doing faceoffs, because it seems that's the area where a lot of shoulder injuries tend to happen. If there's a way to change up the technique so you can protect your shoulder a bit more (somehow).

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Jebus.....if he needs another surgery, we're in big trouble. Then we need to magically find a legit 2C if want to have any chance of making the playoffs, let alone being a contender.

It really amazes me how tricky shoulder injuries are these days. Reminds me of the 70s and 80s, where one major tear in the knee would kill a career.

I also wonder if it's time to look at how the kids are doing faceoffs, because it seems that's the area where a lot of shoulder injuries tend to happen. If there's a way to change up the technique so you can protect your shoulder a bit more (somehow).
Have there been more shoulder injuries amongst centres since the new faceoff rules were instituted? I.e., winning it with your hand is a penalty, and I can't remember what else...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Have there been more shoulder injuries amongst centres since the new faceoff rules were instituted? I.e., winning it with your hand is a penalty, and I can't remember what else...

I'm not sure statistically, but it sure does seem like we're hearing about it a lot more often.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Pinto likely learned a lot last year being thrown to the wolves. With batherson finally better and perhaps giroux flanking him, he could relieve norris for a bit.

We would need others to help though. Every point will matter.

GoMyTeam

Aug 20, 2017
What about a LTIR conditioning loan?

From pensionplanpuppets
This loan is just for players who is “on the Bona Fide Long-Term Inujry/Illness Exception” which is the thing we all call LTIR. One slight caveat of that is that for teams operating with a lot of cap space, they don’t benefit from invoking LTIR for players, and very occasionally someone who was never on LTIR is loaned under these rules. The crucial point is that this loan is for a player who has been out of playing action for 10 games and 24 days (the LTIR minimums).

The player must consent to this loan, and he is paid like he’s in the NHL still. While on this loan, the player remains on LTIR.

The loan lasts for up to six days and three games. So either maximum may trigger the end of the loan. This loan is only to determine a player’s fitness to return off of LTIR. Teams are allowed to ask for an extension of two more games, and that happens often.

Just like in the first type of the loan, the Commissioner can investigate at any time to ensure the loan is legitimate.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
“However, placating these players and enabling them to forego surgery, wasting months of potential strength building time in the process, will not put them in a better position next season. After last year's circus, Pinto has already ran out of gas. The same is entirely possible for Norris next year given today's state of affairs, and the rush he'll be in to be ready for camp. Totally avoidable if approached with the long view in mind. Sure, they have agency, but if there was trust in the organization's philosophy, if these young players were surrounded with medical staff and management who have a track record of success, the outcome would almost surely be different.”

I wrote this in January of this year after Norris re-injured his shoulder. Sure enough, he isn’t ready for this season. This is an embarrassment, was entirely predictable, and threatens our playoff prospects once again.

This organization does not have credible medical staff. There are plenty of examples over the past number of years. I realize that the player sought outside medical opinions in this situation, and followed that guidance. My issue is that our medical staff have a track record of both getting it wrong, as well as not being listened to when they get it right (which is the Norris situation). Very little credibility and added value.

Here’s hoping that Steve Staios can turn over our medical team and ensure credibility and trust amongst them and the players. It’s long overdue.

And for those keeping score, trotting Norris out again when he couldn’t take faceoffs last year was squarely a managerial mistake.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I'd like to know how Norris is going to go from not skating at all with the team to "hopefully" playing a preseason game in two days.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Don’t think anyone in the org has confidence in DJs coaching to fill in ANY blanks lol. It’s full health or bust
When you say bust what do you mean by that? I hear that all the time its playoffs of bust! Bust what? Another rebuild? I'm curious to know what fans mean when they say its playoff or bust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad