Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Happy with his progression. I think he is going to excel under the new coaches.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yea but he got that contract after only one season and has huge injury issues.

I love the player, love how he plays, but the contract makes you nervous to carry.
Nervous sure but that’s different than overpaid. The guy is really good, 40 goal per 82 pace after missing a year and having no preseason.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Norris is only 24 y/o and missed his whole 23 y/o season but still has 64 goals in 157 NHL games, 0.41 GPG which is 33 goals per 82 games. Plus his overall solid game, if he scores 35 goals per 82 games while being a 2-way center, he'll be worth his 8 M$

Norris even if he is overpaid is a very valuable player. One that I think Martin and Alfredsson will love coaching.

He is good defensively and takes pride in it, and scores big goals.

William Karlsson type.

He's still getting back from missing a lot of hockey. His game has been progressing

He just needs to stay healthy and be "reprogrammed" by the new coaching staff

Tkachuk-Norris-Giroux is a really solid line, they need to be together. Best xGF% and xGF/60 on the team (lines with at least 30 mins together)

Or maybe the Chuck Norris' bath will work again now

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Last time I looked Norris wasn't throwing a football into the net.
Lol. Had a hell of a bomb yesterday, but yes, it's a puck.

Brees implied it was the specific injury and surgery that were the reason he lost mobility, but he did talk about it becoming a degenerative thing with some arthritic changes from there, so makes sense all the throwing after took a toll.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Can Norris play wing? Didn't Giroux start as a center than become a winger that can take draws? Do we have the depth at Center to do it? Stu, Pinto, Ridley, Kasty. Does that get it done? Too many questions?

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I've always stayed neutral with Dorion but him signing Norris to 8mill even after he scored 35 goals, I had to question his intelligence

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I've always stayed neutral with Dorion but him signing Norris to 8mill even after he scored 35 goals, I had to question his intelligence

I was pretty satisfied with all of the long-term contracts of the current core except for that one.

It was sort of this kind of process as the details emerged:

1704312851683.gif

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I was pretty satisfied with all of the long-term contracts of the current core except for that one.

It was sort of this kind of process as the details emerged:

View attachment 795216

Yes, his contract has gone from bad to worst. Right now he is not looking any better than Pinto or Greig, other than getting more opportunity to play with better linemates and PP time

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes, his contract has gone from bad to worst. Right now he is not looking any better than Pinto or Greig, other than getting more opportunity to play with better linemates and PP time

I suspect Pinto will be underwhelming after missing half a season.

Norris is in a tough spot - he's injury prone, he's clearly not playing up to the level pre-injury, so his value isn't great, exacerbated by his huge contract.

But waiting to see if he improves over time, which may be fair, is also risky if this is just the new normal.

I've seen signs of Norris improving his game over the past few weeks but he's got a long way to go.

I think my trepidation with Norris is that I feel that he really does have to hit his ceiling to be worth the contract whereas with Stutzle, Tkachuk and Sanderson, there's a bit more room for them to live up to their commitments.

Reactions: bert

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Norris is in a tough spot - he's injury prone, he's clearly not playing up to the level pre-injury, so his value isn't great, exacerbated by his huge contract.

But waiting to see if he improves over time, which may be fair, is also risky if this is just the new normal.

I've seen signs of Norris improving his game over the past few weeks but he's got a long way to go.

I think my trepidation with Norris is that I feel that he really does have to hit his ceiling to be worth the contract whereas with Stutzle, Tkachuk and Sanderson, there's a bit more room for them to live up to their commitments.

That last line was exactly my thought when Norris originally signed his contract.

He had to hit his ceiling to make it worth it. Why would a team take all that risk in a cap era? The other 3 players just have to be okay and it's still a decent contract. Big difference there and I still don't understand the logic behind the Norris extension.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I want to see more compete out of Norris.
When he broke in he competed harder than he is right now.
He is a top 2 C and is playing to much on the perimeter. Its a tough position and you have to give it to be effective.
I care less about the big shot on the PP where he had so much success on the scoreboard.

Reactions: DueDiligence

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He is a top 2 C and is playing to much on the perimeter. Its a tough position and you have to give it to be effective.
I care less about the big shot on the PP where he had so much success on the scoreboard.

Yeah, he's shying away less from contact than he was at the beginning of the season but he's not fighting for pucks the way he should be.

h2

Mar 26, 2002

He actually looked like a decent two-way C his first year with Ottawa. Nowhere near that level right now. His compete level is very low, especially when it comes to battling along the boards for a puck.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah, he's shying away less from contact than he was at the beginning of the season but he's not fighting for pucks the way he should be.
And not working to support his line mates in puck battles. I find his work ethic overall is down.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is the straw to make you question his intelligence?
Just mind boggling. Norris has showed pretty consistent improvement as the season has gone along. Hardly an issue compared to so many other problems with this team. He missed alot of time coming back from a bad injury. Glad to see there's been very little stagnation.

I'd also like to see his compete improve but I think he's been pretty good all things considered. I think it's going to take a while to fully get his confidence in his shoulder back.

I also suspect he is fatigued, long season no training camp his body isn't used to it.

Reactions: GCK

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah, I think we need to pump the brakes on Norris and just let him get his reps in with the new coaching staff.

It’s easy to forget how few games he’s played since coming back from such a long injury.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I see some people are still not factoring how a bad team makes the individuals appear worse than they actually are. Assuming there are no lingering effects from his injury Norris will be just fine.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
well wrong so far.
It is hard to evaluate when your linemates are not putting the same effort. But Josh Norris is far down my list of problems on this team. I am a big believer in Norris because I think he has more leadership in him than what people give him credit for. He missed an entire season, and no doubt had to overcome some tentative play. I think he is doing that.

I find right now, he may be hitting a bit of a wall due to playing no hockey in years. I have all the time in the world for this player and certainly do not forget how good he was healthy.

Everyone is mad right now. But we have to make sure to not throw the babies out with the bathwater.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It is hard to evaluate when your linemates are not putting the same effort. But Josh Norris is far down my list of problems on this team. I am a big believer in Norris because I think he has more leadership in him than what people give him credit for. He missed an entire season, and no doubt had to overcome some tentative play. I think he is doing that.

I find right now, he may be hitting a bit of a wall due to playing no hockey in years. I have all the time in the world for this player and certainly do not forget how good he was healthy.

Everyone is mad right now. But we have to make sure to not throw the babies out with the bathwater.
I agree that missing a year affected him but he's now had 30 games to get back in the swing of things. I disagree somewhat about his effort level as I feel he doesn't engage physically whatsoever. But I am fine with giving him the year to see how he progresses.

Reactions: robsenz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad