Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah hopefully he feels more and more comfortable out there and gains trust on his shoulder. It needs to be behind him, this guy could have a pretty good career if he can stay healthy

I thought he showed a real spark, physically, against the Flames and that continued against the Wings today.

Hopefully he is gaining confidence in the shoulder so he can just play, but I thunk he is turning the corner.

That said, natural scorer. Another of our players who doesn't seem quite right yet scoring about .5 goals per game.

We really need to catch a break regarding injuries. It's part of the game so if it's short term injuries with no lingering effect, we'll take it but all of Batherson, Norris and Pinto were long term and had a big effect on them getting back to previous levels. The last core was screwed by injuries too (Methot, Ryan, MacArthur, Karlsson, etc) so we need to catch that break now.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He probably wont be back to normal for another 20 games or so, he has played better. I think that has alot to do with his linemates as well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He probably wont be back to normal for another 20 games or so, he has played better. I think that has alot to do with his linemates as well.
Last night they seemed to mix up his lines a bit, he started out with Brady and Tarasenko, but after we pulled out with a bit of a lead, he ended up spending lots of time with Joseph and Tank, and that trio got plowed in the second. They got split up a fair bit little ways into the third,

I'm not sure if the reason the combo of Norris, Joseph and Tank did so poorly was deployment, Idk who they were mostly out against, it could be that we used them as a shutdown line, but it just wasn't working.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Last night they seemed to mix up his lines a bit, he started out with Brady and Tarasenko, but after we pulled out with a bit of a lead, he ended up spending lots of time with Joseph and Tank, and that trio got plowed in the second. They got split up a fair bit little ways into the third,

I'm not sure if the reason the combo of Norris, Joseph and Tank did so poorly was deployment, Idk who they were mostly out against, it could be that we used them as a shutdown line, but it just wasn't working.
Every player was bad in the 2nd period. Weird point to make. They did score a goal and had some other good moments in the other periods.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Every player was bad in the 2nd period. Weird point to make. They did score a goal and had some other good moments in the other periods.
I thought he looked better with Tkachuk was the point, and it supported your point that chemistry with linemates played into why he had a better game. imo they[joseph/Tank and Norris] struggled in particular when together, they had the worst underlying stats of any regular trio, and imo it matched the eye test, I didn't like them together most shifts (the shift they scored on was definitely a positive).

Last edited:
Reactions: DylanSensFan

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He looks to be back.

Skating, physical, good in the dot, defensively aware and putting the puck in the net.

He started hot when he first came back then cooled off, having a 4 game span without a goal and then (I believe) the longest streak without a goal at 6 games.

Now he has scored 4 goals in 5 games with a few crossbars as well.

10 goals in 25 games, unless he scores again tonight. Natural scorer and will be huge if gets back to a 40 to 45 goal pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He looks to be back.

Skating, physical, good in the dot, defensively aware and putting the puck in the net.

He started hot when he first came back then cooled off, having a 4 game span without a goal and then (I believe) the longest streak without a goal at 6 games.

Now he has scored 4 goals in 5 games with a few crossbars as well.

10 goals in 25 games, unless he scores again tonight. Natural scorer and will be huge if gets back to a 40 to 45 point pace.

You meant 40 goals pace? Because he's currently on a 58 pts pace

Reactions: OD99

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Norris even if he is overpaid is a very valuable player. One that I think Martin and Alfredsson will love coaching.

He is good defensively and takes pride in it, and scores big goals.

William Karlsson type.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Norris even if he is overpaid is a very valuable player. One that I think Martin and Alfredsson will love coaching.

William Karlsson type.
I have to push back on being overpaid as you need to assess across the entirety of the contract. He has 6 more years after this one. Currently sitting as the 27th highest AAV among centres and will sit around 30th next year. These 8 year deals are given with the expectation of increasing cap and further development. In year 4, at 26 years old he will make 8.6% of the cap which is very good value.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I agree with you both as I don't think he is overpaid for the complete game he brings.

William Karlsson type.

I have to push back on being overpaid as you need to assess across the entirety of the contract. He has 6 more years after this one. Currently sitting as the 27th highest AAV among centres and will sit around 30th next year. These 8 year deals are given with the expectation of increasing cap and further development. In year 4, at 26 years old he will make 8.6% of the cap which is very good value.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

I agree with you both as I don't think he is overpaid for the complete game he brings.

Yea but he got that contract after only one season and has huge injury issues.

I love the player, love how he plays, but the contract makes you nervous to carry.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I love the player, love how he plays, but the contract makes you nervous to carry.
I think its a fair concern. He has to stay healthy from here on this season . He can play. I think its an interesting thing to explore moving him to the wing .. but they need the Pinto or Greig to be more than ready for the 2C role. We have to see how they do.

I think 2 of our most important players are the 2 that will need to make the biggest adjustments to their games. Norris will adjust just fine. I think Batherson will too. They just need to be given clear marching instructions.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Agreed that injuries could be a concern, but it is minimized.

If he injures the shoulder again to the point he can't play then we recoup that money for the salary cap. If he injures himself to the point he is a shadow of himself but still wants to play, then we have some issues, but not crippling.

As a competitor, I would imagine he wouldn't be happy coming back and playing as a bit player. That would be very difficult mentally.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Still on pace for 34 goals and tied for 2nd on the team in goals despite coming back from a major injury. Also 54% on faceoffs, which is impressive.

Not too worried right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad