Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
You want Vilardi, iafallo kapari and a 2nd?

Pld has a NTC that kicks in next year, if LA is having buyer's remorse they don't have a lot of time.
Maybe not those guys, but a package that addresses needs. A pick and prospect for the farm, a pk 2 way 2nd/3rd line tweener etc. You know what I mean.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The bottom line is that virtually everyone felt that having Norris this season would more than make up for the loss of Debrincat's scoring plus play better defense. The reality is that he hasn't done either.
Combine that with Stutzle's drop in scoring by over fifty percent plus crappy defense and you have 2 of the major problems on the team.

Reactions: Alex1234

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If we can get a return for Norris similar to what LA gave up for PLD, it'd be a step towards the right direction.

Our team is better with Vilardi, iafallo kapari and a 2nd than having Norris.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
You'd have to think if it was shoulder related we'd be talking about career ending type of stuff. Would feel bad for him big time but at the same time, there's 8 mill of cap space....

I imagine it's concussion protocol.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Everytime I hear about him taking a medical precaution or being out, I'm more inclined to just move him without having to retain salary or give anything up. A team that likes to abuse LTIR would love him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If we can get a return for Norris similar to what LA gave up for PLD, it'd be a step towards the right direction.

Our team is better with Vilardi, iafallo kapari and a 2nd than having Norris.
I mean L.A never does that deal over and Norris does not have the pedigree that Dubois did. Nice to think about but its not happening. People really need more patience around here.
He hasn't been the same all this year. And the question is whether ever becomes that guy again or not. Most assume he will not.
Corrected that for you. I am not burning the asset especially when there is no reason to do it. This team has alot of meaningless games left this year. Lots of time to see what they have.

Reactions: GCK and scout20

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I've basically written him off this season, he's turned into a soft perimeter floater but I'm hoping there's a chance he can return to the two-way player he was two years ago with a full summer of conditioning instead of rehabbing a shoulder. Trade him in Summer 2025 if he still sucks.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
I've basically written him off this season, he's turned into a soft perimeter floater but I'm hoping there's a chance he can return to the two-way player he was two years ago with a full summer of conditioning instead of rehabbing a shoulder. Trade him in Summer 2025 if he still sucks.
Everyone is saying trade Norris as if he holds any value. The reality is that if he "still sucks" nobody is going near that contract. Who would want to trade for an injury prone player that doesn't play anywhere near his contract value?

People are saying "just trade him to a team that abuses LTIR" like it would help them. Dead contracts like Webber/Seabrook can help but a player that bounces on and off IR all year is worst case scenario for cap management. Retaining salary isn't an option either as we're seeing the consequences of dead cap space this year (Ryan, Murray etc).

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Everyone is saying trade Norris as if he holds any value. The reality is that if he "still sucks" nobody is going near that contract. Who would want to trade for an injury prone player that doesn't play anywhere near his contract value?

People are saying "just trade him to a team that abuses LTIR" like it would help them. Dead contracts like Webber/Seabrook can help but a player that bounces on and off IR all year is worst case scenario for cap management. Retaining salary isn't an option either as we're seeing the consequences of dead cap space this year (Ryan, Murray etc).

This is where we get into speculation, I have NO idea what the interest would be in him right now, or in the offseason, or in summer 2025.

I would think there would be interested teams. He's still trending for high 20's in goals right now despite obviously being off his game and playing like a floater which is not a good match for what our problems are right now. Combined with putting up 35 goals in 60 something games two years ago. The guy can still score, you would think teams would be interested. And like I said, he was a good two-way forward not long ago.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I wanna see Norris next year before I judge because a) nearly everyone is playing poorly at this point and b) he’s coming off a year of no hockey and a shoulder injury that probably also weighs on him mentally. Maybe he never recovers but I’m willing to be patient with him.

Plus, I think the bigger problem is our defence. At least we’re deep enough at C that if he isn’t up to par we can just move him down the line-up (expensive, sure, but as long as we’re ok cap wise it’s not the end of the world).

Reactions: coladin

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Long term Norris is going to be fine and find his game back, as long as he stays relatively healthy. Problem is he is really not in the ideal situation to do so. Everyone is struggling except maybe Greig, Giroux and Joseph.

If we move him now, it would be for peanuts and we'd have to watch him have success eventually on another team. Same for Chabot or most of these players.

Kubalik survives again haha.

Damn, that's unfortunately true, he seems like a good guy so nothing personal but I can't remember a player I wanted gone as much. He's exactly what we need LESS.

What A&R is not considering here is that Norris ALWAYS had a high S%

2018‑19 (NCAA) : 14.5 S%
2019‑20 (AHL) : 19.4 S%
2020‑21 (NHL) : 17.7 S%
2021‑22 (NHL) : 20.3 S%

Sure, he was not going to have 20% every season but could easily have 17%+ every year. Right now he has 13.8% coming back from a major injury on a team heavily struggling as a group. So yes, his struggles are heavily related to the injury and the current team context

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It is hard to not get frustrated about Norris's contract due to the injury/shoulder history.

He was the perfect candidate for a bridge contract and Dorion.... Dorion'd

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Dude is on pace for 30 while playing poorly which is understandable given he missed an entire season + the start of this year…not to mention everyone is bad making them all seem worse.
He will get healthy, he will have a full summer of training rather than lighter recovery work, he will then resume being a competent #1 or really high end #2
Since arrived in the NHL his goals per game pace is top 30 in entire f***ing league.

A little respect for Norris here please.
Selling on him now (or any of them really) would be so short sighted.

To me the only choice they need to make involving the core is Chabot or Chychrun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad