Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Dude is on pace for 30 while playing poorly which is understandable given he missed an entire season + the start of this year…not to mention everyone is bad making them all seem worse.
He will get healthy, he will have a full summer of training rather than lighter recovery work, he will then resume being a competent #1 or really high end #2
Since arrived in the NHL his goals per game pace is top 30 in entire f***ing league.

A little respect for Norris here please.
Selling on him now (or any of them really) would be so short sighted.

To me the only choice they need to make involving the core is Chabot or Chychrun.

Unless Norris somehow stops being fragile af it would be extremely wise to look into trading the kid. I doubt anyone takes him on though at that price and risk so you'll most likely get your wish.

Reactions: Alex1234

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Norris is worth more to this team than he would on the market. No team will give up much for him and at the same time Ottawa needs him to be playing well. Might be weird to say but with him being bff with Tkachuk, I feel like that's something management would consider before moving him.

I hope his injury is unrelated to his shoulder.

Reactions: Tuna99

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Norris is probably the one guy who we should cut the most slack. It's evident that he's being very cautious and tentative out there which is a huge disadvantage for a professional player that uses his instincts a lot to be effective.

He had a big surgery that he obviously didn’t want to do at first and did everything in his power to avoid until there was no option. In training camp and the start of the regular season I don't think it was a muscle issue or shoulder concern, I bet it was a more mental confidence thing and him wanting to take extra time off to be 100% certain that he's good. He's been trusting himself more and more but it's a process.

We'll see towards the end of this year and next season if he starts being more engaged. I hope so for his sake because Pinto and Greig are gonna come knocking very quickly.

Reactions: coladin

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This post might seem long but I think it's important. I would like some comments on this

Something I have repeated all season, don't make deep judgments on Sens players as they are playing on an heavily DISCOMBOBULATED team

These guys got the WRONG message all their NHL career. You can't UNDO years of DJ Dorion in just a few weeks. They probably had the impression that they would just cruise into stardom and success just based on talent but it's clear that the work ethic and discipline is not there. It's not that they don't try but they don't have the same "boring routine habits" that can help prevent a lot of goals against.

It's not a surprise that the guy playing the best overall game is 36 y/o Claude Giroux, because he played 1018 NHL games before coming into this mess and didn't need any "coaching"

Greig is another guy doing well as he only played 20 games last season (when the team was doing relatively well, Sens were 9-7-4 when he played) and 27 games this season (but only 17 under DJ). He is such a smart 2-way player that he isn't affected as much as others

Mathieu Joseph is another one not struggling (although no points -5 since 2 games coming back from injury), he's a guy who grew up in the best or one of the best organization in the league, with John Cooper. Plus, he's one of the top skaters in the league so that helps a lot.

Kubalik struggles but he's never been much of a complete player anyway, he only played on rebuilding teams too. Dorion probably targeted him in the trade thinking he was getting great value...

Tarasenko doesn't offer much outside of some offensive plays. You'd think that Dorion would have learned after the DeBrincat experiment, yet he brought a player type even less needed.

Zub has shown early success in the organization as he played somewhere else before but with time it faded away

Chychrun had early success but now looks like crap compared to how he looked in Arizona

Hamonic has aged but playing in this mess makes him even more terrible

Korpisalo and Forsberg are just victims of a really poor team defense. They were obviously not going to be the second coming of Hasek. Forsberg ddid in 2021-22, very impressive season

All the other guys are 26 and less and grown up in this Melnyk/Dorion/DJ organization. Need some heavy formatting

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Norris is worth more to this team than he would on the market. No team will give up much for him and at the same time Ottawa needs him to be playing well. Might be weird to say but with him being bff with Tkachuk, I feel like that's something management would consider before moving him.

I hope his injury is unrelated to his shoulder.
Given his little fit when walking to the dressing room, I think it is not related to his head or neck but might be a mild concussion. It might be related to his shoulder but I did not see him favour his shoulder when leaving the ice.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This post might seem long but I think it's important. I would like some comments on this

Something I have repeated all season, don't make deep judgments on Sens players as they are playing on an heavily DISCOMBOBULATED team

These guys got the WRONG message all their NHL career. You can't UNDO years of DJ Dorion in just a few weeks. They probably had the impression that they would just cruise into stardom and success just based on talent but it's clear that the work ethic and discipline is not there. It's not that they don't try but they don't have the same "boring routine habits" that can help prevent a lot of goals against.

It's not a surprise that the guy playing the best overall game is 36 y/o Claude Giroux, because he played 1018 NHL games before coming into this mess and didn't need any "coaching"

Greig is another guy doing well as he only played 20 games last season (when the team was doing relatively well, Sens were 9-7-4 when he played) and 27 games this season (but only 17 under DJ). He is such a smart 2-way player that he isn't affected as much as others

Mathieu Joseph is another one not struggling (although no points -5 since 2 games coming back from injury), he's a guy who grew up in the best or one of the best organization in the league, with John Cooper. Plus, he's one of the top skaters in the league so that helps a lot.

Kubalik struggles but he's never been much of a complete player anyway, he only played on rebuilding teams too. Dorion probably targeted him in the trade thinking he was getting great value...

Tarasenko doesn't offer much outside of some offensive plays. You'd think that Dorion would have learned after the DeBrincat experiment, yet he brought a player type even less needed.

Zub has shown early success in the organization as he played somewhere else before but with time it faded away

Chychrun had early success but now looks like crap compared to how he looked in Arizona

Hamonic has aged but playing in this mess makes him even more terrible

Korpisalo and Forsberg are just victims of a really poor team defense. They were obviously not going to be the second coming of Hasek. Forsberg ddid in 2021-22, very impressive season

All the other guys are 26 and less and grown up in this Melnyk/Dorion/DJ organization. Need some heavy formatting
I generally see things the same way.

The Menyk/Dorion/Smith regime has screwed this team for years and will have a lasting negative effect for a few more.

Giroux, Greig and Joseph can play a strong 200 foot game and it shows in their play. I think Martin will coach Greig and Joseph how to play without taking needless penalties in the O and N zones. Having Giroux around will help those 2 and other players learn how to play without taking such penalties.

Kubalic has been a disappointment and has not established any chemistry with other players. If he played with a playmaking center he might be more productive as a shooter. Unfortunately we seem to have only 1 playmaking center, Stutzle. Greig may become one but is still a rookie (he did have pretty good offensive stats in junior). I don't see Norris nor Pinto as a strong offensive playmaking center. I see this as one of our team's weaknesses, along with our D.

Tarasenko is basically an offensive player but I have seen him coming back and think he is trying to play well defensively. I have not looked at his stats though. I think he will sign with a team in the USA next season and might be traded before the TDL if our potential trade partner is acceptable to him. I doubt we get much for him.

I expected more from Chychrun than I have seen so far. Some games he looks very solid both defensively and offensively; in others he looks like a rookie. Hopefully he can improve his play. He does play soft for a big strong D.

I agree with your take on Hamonic. He seems to have regressed significantly this season. Hopefully there is a team that is looking for an insurance D man for the playoffs and Hamonic is willing to waive his NMC.

We have not received great goaltending from either Korpisalo nor Forsberg. Yes, the team's defensive play without the puck has contributed to their poor results and stats; however, neither goaltender has a great track record. I anticipated that our goaltending would have improved this season but I was wrong. Forsberg seems to be injury prone and not long for this league. Hopefully Sogaard will become our "saviour" in goal. Such a miracle has happened for other teams before (e.g., Ken Dryden).

I think a coach like Tortorella who insists on players playing a 200 foot game and the "right way" (boring routine habits that prevent a lot of goals against) is what this team needs now. Smith did not seem to be that type of coach as "accountability" did not seem to be applied. Martin will help right the ship but I suspect he only wants to be the interim HC.

That's my 50 cents! :)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I’m not sure Norris is fragile. He took a hard fall into the boards that screwed up his shoulder. He’s had surgery and should be fine going forward once he’s able to get it back up to regular training, along with the confidence to use it to its full capacity again.

He looks at about the same level as the rest of the team to be honest. Maybe a little tentative with his shoulder, but he was never a banger. If anything he looks rusty as f***, and now the team has a change in focus and play to boot.

I would move him right now at all, too reactionary, and as others have pointed out, his value is lower at the moment one would think.

I want change, but at the same time I would really like to see what a new coaching staff, and some well placed vets can do with all of our talent. I’m trying to channel patience from the point of view of Staios and the top management guys.

scout20

Jul 21, 2022
Josh Norris is back skating with the #Sens in a non-contact jersey. Left midway through the game vs Calgary Jan 9th and hasn’t skated since. Claire

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Josh Norris is back skating with the #Sens in a non-contact jersey. Left midway through the game vs Calgary Jan 9th and hasn’t skated since. Claire
Have to wonder if this is even good news. Give me Greig over Norris in a top 6 center spot any day of the week.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Have to wonder if this is even good news. Give me Greig over Norris in a top 6 center spot any day of the week.
Of course it’s good news. We need Norris to play if we want him to get back to form. People talk about him as if he’s Hamonic or something.

We’ve had so many seasons of missing one or multiple centres. Having everyone gives us more depth which we desperately need, Jacques can juggle the lines to find a good combo.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
People are only mentioning his 35 goal season, but forgetting about his rookie season when he was 3rd in points among rookies ( Timmy was 5th ).

2020-21Ottawa SenatorsNHL56171835

Norris took off after March 15th, scoring 12 goals and 20 pts in the last 25 games of the season, which was one of the best scoring rates in the league. He was still 21 y/o. He also had very good defensive metrics in a tough role. And did even better in his 22 y/o season. His injury has been really unfortunate. We need him to get back to this level, he was on his way to become an invaluable 2-way center

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I'm not as hard on Norris because he actually takes playing good D as part of his job.

Stutzle, Brady, Batherson, Chabot could learn from him.

Move him to the wing finally. Please and thanks.

When Pinto is back hopefully we see him on Stutzle's wing.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Dude is on pace for 30 while playing poorly which is understandable given he missed an entire season + the start of this year…not to mention everyone is bad making them all seem worse.
He will get healthy, he will have a full summer of training rather than lighter recovery work, he will then resume being a competent #1 or really high end #2
Since arrived in the NHL his goals per game pace is top 30 in entire f***ing league.

A little respect for Norris here please.
Selling on him now (or any of them really) would be so short sighted.

To me the only choice they need to make involving the core is Chabot or Chychrun.
I'm with you and @Xspyrit on this. We have seen too much of this guy to give up on him now. His deficiencies , of anyone on this team, gets the most rope from me . And he should from the lot of you. A joke really how this fanbase will basically burn this team to the ground right now lol

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad