Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
If he's cleared but feeling sore I can understand the apprehension. If we keep winning let him sit a little more.

He won't get over his mental block (if that's what this is) fully until he gets into games though.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sounds like its mental from my contact as well. Which is obviously really really bad news.
Wouldn't really, really bad news be that it's physical and require additional surgery?

Not saying it being mental is good news, but getting past that and being able to trust your shoulder again seems like more of a matter of time and exposure than a potential career altering thing.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Sounds like its mental from my contact as well. Which is obviously really really bad news.

Mental as in anxiety about re-injuring it? Or is it truly "in his head" in that he's convinced it still hurts but the doctors say it's fine? What a strange situation.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Mental as in anxiety about re-injuring it? Or is it truly "in his head" in that he's convinced it still hurts but the doctors say it's fine? What a strange situation.
Well he can be cleared and it actually be sore. That’s not mental. If he’s nervous about reinsuring when doctors say chances are low…. That’s mental. But it being sore could be a real thing

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Well he can be cleared and it actually be sore. That’s not mental. If he’s nervous about reinsuring when doctors say chances are low…. That’s mental. But it being sore could be a real thing

Yeah that's what I was wondering. So it's an anxiety thing then.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Wouldn't really, really bad news be that it's physical and require additional surgery?

Not saying it being mental is good news, but getting past that and being able to trust your shoulder again seems like more of a matter of time and exposure than a potential career altering thing.

I tend to agree that a chronic injury that doesn't get better is worse than a sense of apprehension about reinjury.

That said, psychological issues can be really tough to get over as well. If he is playing scared for a significant part of the season it will be a big blow to the team.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I tend to agree that a chronic injury that doesn't get better is worse than a sense of apprehension about reinjury.

That said, psychological issues can be really tough to get over as well. If he is playing scared for a significant part of the season it will be a big blow to the team.

If he is structurally sound and is cleared but sore, each game he plays, takes faceoffs and gets contact will get him more and more comfortable. I just hope he is 100% physically ready to go, it may take a few games before he starts to get comfortable. I expect Norris to be rusty with so many games missed in the past two seasons.

As long as he is healthy, this is excellent news. Perhaps ease him into things like faceoffs and stuff on the initial go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mingus Dew

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Yeah I mean I think its probably both. It doesnt feel right and after hurting his shoulder badly 3 times its in his head. He is probably ok for contact but it doesnt feel like it used to.

Do we dare to dream of a lineup with Norris instead of Chartier?
Or Kastelic or Macewen. How much if any will Norris be an upgrade on Chartier right away anyways? I actually think Chartier has been ok, better than I expected.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yeah I mean I think its probably both. It doesnt feel right and after hurting his shoulder badly 3 times its in his head. He is probably ok for contact but it doesnt feel like it used to.

Or Kastelic or Macewen. How much if any will Norris be an upgrade on Chartier right away anyways? I actually think Chartier has been ok, better than I expected.
I have nothing against Chartier, he's been more than adequate, but other teams need to adjust to Norris and then adjust to Norris' line much differently when he's in the lineup. And if Norris can shoot, that is a compelling reason for us to be excited about him being in the lineup over any of the replacement guys.

Kastelic has been slow out of the gate, but I'm a big fab of his personally.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have nothing against Chartier, he's been more than adequate, but other teams need to adjust to Norris and then adjust to Norris' line much differently when he's in the lineup. And if Norris can shoot, that is a compelling reason for us to be excited about him being in the lineup over any of the replacement guys.

Kastelic has been slow out of the gate, but I'm a big fab of his personally.
My point is Norris wont be creating that type of impact right away its gonna take some time. Better to get him in here ASAP than not though so he gets back to full speed ASAP.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Pro athletes play in pain all the time. Obviously some are better at it than others. Being sore is not an excuse not to play.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
I want to hear more about how some fan injuries compare to Norris' injury , operation and being ready to play in the NHL.
Well you see, I tore my shoulder when my hand slipped out from under me trying to brace myself after falling at a floating water park and I was back to sitting in my office chair the next day, why can't Norris get back to work?

• Haha
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad