Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, so hire a witch doctor to heal Josh's shoulder, sign Pinto to 1.7, and get ready for emergency callups from the likes of Crookshank, Highmore, Sokolov and Reinhardt upfront, Guénette, JBD, Larson and Heatherton on the backend.

Tbh, that doesn't sound that bad, though I'd rather find a way to fit Smejkal in and push out Kelly if at all possible.

Two one year deals, second in the drawer

Year 1 @ 1.4, signing bonus of whatever is allowed, I think it's 10% of the contract?

Year 2 @ 2.7, whatever signing bonus is allowable

This his him the same two year total as Frost, who outscored him a dozen pts or so, and gives him a higher QO going into the next round of negotiations to add some leverage to him down the road. He also gets enough that he sees a raise even in year one.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ok, so hire a witch doctor to heal Josh's shoulder, sign Pinto to 1.7, and get ready for emergency callups from the likes of Crookshank, Highmore, Sokolov and Reinhardt upfront, Guénette, JBD, Larson and Heatherton on the backend.

Tbh, that doesn't sound that bad, though I'd rather find a way to fit Smejkal in and push out Kelly if at all possible.

Two one year deals, second in the drawer

Year 1 @ 1.4, signing bonus of whatever is allowed, I think it's 10% of the contract?

Year 2 @ 2.7, whatever signing bonus is allowable

This his him the same two year total as Frost, who outscored him a dozen pts or so, and gives him a higher QO going into the next round of negotiations to add some leverage to him down the road. He also gets enough that he sees a raise even in year one.

What's do you predict the likelihood of this is?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So if Norris is a week away and not LTIR worthy, where the f*** they gonna find the money to sign Pinto?
They have moves planned once Pinto agrees to their offer. I am quite confident there will be a chain of events that will follow. But they want to sign Shane first, then make moves.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If they aren't going to meet Pinto's ask, they need some sort of resolution to the Norris saga. Whether he comes back and plays, and ends up fine, or hurts his shoulder again, or is shut down without playing.

Pinto's leverage is based around Norris. If Norris is back and good, Pinto might be more likely to come down off his supposed 2.5M ask. If Norris is done for the season, then the Senators might be able to take a different approach with Pinto and maybe go longer term.

I doubt their trade has to do with moving Joseph. I could see a weaker team maybe taking Kubalik for a late pick or future considerations with the idea being they can pump up his numbers and flip him for a 3rd round pick or maybe a future 2nd at the deadline. Moving Joseph would be too expensive asset wise.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What's do you predict the likelihood of this is?
Likelihood of what, my specific contract proposal? I'd say pretty low, even though it likely has benefits to Pinto that won't exist in whatever he does eventually sign, he may not run the risk of splitting the contract.

Us running a 20 man roster though, I'd say is fairly likely, at least for a bit until we can work out some sort of trade

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Take a player we have developed for 3 years, who is now a good 3rd pairing D, and trade him from a position of weakness to get the worst return possible.

Also deplete our thin D depth.

Sounds like something we might do!
Pinto is more valuable to this team than Brannstrom

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
They need both, Chychrun and Chabot are both injury prone. Really the only player they can afford to lose is Joseph.
i think that’s fair.

goes to show the confidence in our defensive depth, I think it’s decent, but young.

Joseph is the obvious out but if it costs more than a second (or equivalent) than it’s not worth it if you can move out Brannstrom for assets back.

Seriously though who's alt account is this?
Not an alt. One and only account.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
It is kind of a shame that Norris can't be on LTIR for lesser than the required amount of games/days. It is the same condition that had him placed on LTIR last season, so must they mandate any further time since he previously met the standard and Ottawa wouldn't have taken him off until they were sure he could play.

Ah well, might as well wish for a 100% indestructible shoulder for Norris, as anything else.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lol, that doesn't seem at all controversial?

At best they'd be about equal, but the injury prone players ahead of them dictate the actual opportunity they'll get and how much they will end up contributing. If everyone stayed healthy, a 3rd line center plays a bigger role than a bottom pairing d man.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Pinto is more valuable to this team than Brannstrom
No he isn't.

Pinto is going to be very valuable for us but if we have Norris as C2 and Greig could cover 3rd line C duty then Pinto is a luxury in the short term.

If we lose Brannstrom then we either force Kleven up or force another player who is not as good as Branny to play their off side. If we get an injury to the D then we are really exposed.

We don't need to lose good players to get Pinto in the lineup.

Reactions: Xspyrit and DrEasy

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It is kind of a shame that Norris can't be on LTIR for lesser than the required amount of games/days. It is the same condition that had him placed on LTIR last season, so must they mandate any further time since he previously met the standard and Ottawa wouldn't have taken him off until they were sure he could play.

Ah well, might as well wish for a 100% indestructible shoulder for Norris, as anything else.

That doesn't help the Senators though, because they would have to be compliant when Norris returns. Let's say Norris won't play for a week, and Pinto signs at 2 years 2.XXM. All that having Norris on LTIR for a week means is that they have 7 more days until they have to pull the trigger on the same trade that they already had lined up.

Assuming Dorion is being honest, clearing cap is already resolved. They have some level of confidence that they can make a trade. The issue is that Pinto and the Senators don't agree on what his AAV should be. LTIR over a short period of time is irrelevant to all that.

LTIR only becomes relevant if Norris is going to be out for the entire regular season, or at least long enough that they think they can gamble on another player whose cap hit is enough to cover Pinto becoming eligible for LTIR by the time Norris has to be activated.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No he isn't.

Pinto is going to be very valuable for us but if we have Norris as C2 and Greig could cover 3rd line C duty then Pinto is a luxury in the short term.

If we lose Brannstrom then we either force Kleven up or force another player who is not as good as Branny to play their off side. If we get an injury to the D then we are really exposed.

We don't need to lose good players to get Pinto in the lineup.
Pinto is absolutely more valuable than Brannstrom. Norris clearly cant be relied upon. Center ice is way more important than a bottom pair D man. The only player they can get rid of is Joseph here unfortunately. 2 goals for Paul BTW

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
That doesn't help the Senators though, because they would have to be compliant when Norris returns. Let's say Norris won't play for a week, and Pinto signs at 2 years 2.XXM. All that having Norris on LTIR for a week means is that they have 7 more days until they have to pull the trigger on the same trade that they already had lined up.

Assuming Dorion is being honest, clearing cap is already resolved. They have some level of confidence that they can make a trade. The issue is that Pinto and the Senators don't agree on what his AAV should be. LTIR over a short period of time is irrelevant to all that.

LTIR only becomes relevant if Norris is going to be out for the entire regular season, or at least long enough that they think they can gamble on another player whose cap hit is enough to cover Pinto becoming eligible for LTIR by the time Norris has to be activated.

True, but they could ice a full roster tomorrow night.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

It helps them ice a good roster right now. Id rather push the problem down the line, by then Josephs value may have gone up, other injuries could have happened etc.

Do you actually think Brannstrom is more valuable than Pinto?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'd trade Kubalik way before Brannstrom. Kubalik is a depth scorer, with 1 year before UFA. It's the path of least resistance.

Brannstrom is our #5 and is quite a bit better than our 6-8 defensemen.
And technically Greig should be ready to take that third line wing spot next year. Joseph or Kubalik way more expendable

True, but they could ice a full roster tomorrow night.
Our standards rise every day.

• Haha
Reactions: DylanSensFan

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It helps them ice a good roster right now. Id rather push the problem down the line, by then Josephs value may have gone up, other injuries could have happened etc.

Do you actually think Brannstrom is more valuable than Pinto?
The BranFan force is strong.

Posted this in the Brannstrom thread ignore the text that shows here

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Likelihood of what, my specific contract proposal? I'd say pretty low, even though it likely has benefits to Pinto that won't exist in whatever he does eventually sign, he may not run the risk of splitting the contract.

Us running a 20 man roster though, I'd say is fairly likely, at least for a bit until we can work out some sort of trade
your split year contract proposal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad