Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That's why I said I'm posting less and letting the team's performance speak for itself.
But called the place toxic just the same. I think it can be annoying at times but I don't think its toxic. People / Fans can be less positive about certain things at times but for the most part the toxic posters seem to have disappeared or are posting less

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Good luck explaining that to some, I have tried for years.

1) Yes we have Stutzle, Norris, Sogaard and Ostapchuk but we traded a 3 times Norris winner to get it and depended on :

- The Sharks falling apart faster than expected
- The Rangers and Kings to not draft Stutzle
- Required to move up using a 2nd and 3rd round pick to draft Sogaard
- Norris being better than the Sens themselves expected

2) Yes we have Tkachuk and thankfully they didn't draft Zadina over him but it also required the Habs to stupidly draft Kotkaniemi

4) Yes we have Batherson and he was one of our best draft picks in recent history but he was actually drafted BEFORE the rebuild. We can credit Dorion sure but the guy at the head of the Sens drafting, Trent Mann, was brought in by Bryan Murray in 2011

5) Yes we have Giroux but he is 35 y/o and we haven't made the playoffs yet. It required him to be tied with the Ottawa area

6) Yes we have Pinto but he is not even signed right now... It was a great pick though so full credit to them

7) Yes we have Greig but we traded a high end 3rd line Center to get him (Pageau). We also drafted Kleven with the return from that trade. Thanks to shrewd drafting here, this could end up the 2nd best trade in Dorion's era

8) We also have Jarventie who looks promising but after a FULL 6 years rebuild, is that all we have left in terms of promising forwards? As we haven't made the playoffs yet, we should still have a pretty good prospect pool like the Devils or Sabres for example.

9) Yes we have Chabot but Murray was still the GM when he was drafted

10) Yes we have Chychrun but we paid 12th OA and two 2nds to get him. This is one of Dorion's best moves though, he just needs to stay healthy and extend with us to a reasonable contract

11) Yes we have Sanderson and this is one of the best Sens picks. Not a big reach but it took balls to take him 5th OA so full credit to them

12) Yes we have Zub, this was another of Dorion's best moves

13) Yes we have Brannstrom but we had to trade a 26 y/o Selke level PPG Winger to get him

14) Forsberg and Korpsilo, I like that duo, there's potential there. Great picks up by Dorion

Our whole rebuild is built on :

- Karlsson and Pageau trades (great returns, great drafting for what was elite/great pieces)
- Tkachuk and Sanderson selections (didn't screw up with 4th and 5th OA picks)
- Good drafting in Batherson and Pinto
- Getting Giroux, Zub, Forsberg and Korpisalo for basically nothing (UFAs + waiver claim)

Now if you look at Zibanejad, Duchene, Gustavsson, Boucher, Stepan and all the other stuff, that's where it gets ugly
Pretty much par for the course. Most winners are built with hits and misses.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Biggest problems last year was goaltending and defence. We got Korpisalo and a healthy Forsberg plus a full season of Chychrun and Brannstrom and Hamonic properly slotted.

Not having centre's #2 and #3 will definitely hurt but I think we're in better shape than we were last year.

Most competitive division in the NHL. No #2 and 3 centers for a while won't cut it.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I have no proof of this but my theory is simply that they are debating whether having Norris sit out 20ish games (giving them 8Mx1/4 season cap relief) would result in them being so far out of the playoffs. Or can they win with Pinto and Joseph and then squeeze thro this year with norris sitting out 20 games.

Basically I believe norris could play and this is a smokescreen while they debate their success in the following two scenarios for the first 20 games:

Norris
Pinto

Pinto
Joseph

Where you lose joseph for 82 plus an asset to get rid of him in scenario 1. And keep Joseph and the asset in scenario 2 but need to be above .500
If you put a player on LTIR, there no cap space that is accrued ("saved") as a result. It provides "temporary" cap relief with the key word being temporary. Once the player gets healthy and returns to the lineup, then his cap hit counts again and cap must be removed again to become cap compliant. The CBA went in 2005 & this is kind cap basics at this point I'd think.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
We'll get more clarity at 5pm today, which is the deadline to submit the final roster (as per Wallace on Coming in Hot a few minutes ago), so we'll see if Norris is LTIR'd or if he's just day-to-day.

Might only seen Norris on LTIR tomorrow after 5pm

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What’s embarrassing is our management team making proclamations on Norris’ behalf, like ‘oh he would play if it was the regular season’ which ultimately was wrong. If his situation is that fluid, maybe stop with the unnecessary comments. The fan base was right to be concerned from day 1 of training camp when he has a non-contact jersey and I have yet to see how any of us were wrong to question it. You don’t need hindsight or be part of a Mensa institute to see the issue that shoulder surgeries are complicated…but sure the *fanbase* should be embarrassed :eyeroll:
That comment was made before Norris suffered a tweak and a subsequent set back.

Like I said there is an issue with processing all of the information as opposed to looking to find fault and place blame.

It’s easy to post an opinion and claim that it represents ‘the fanbase’ but I suspect that the broader fanbase doesn’t have these pressing concerns nor delves into things to create blame situations much at all. That’s an HF boards thing where the uber fans gather to speculate.

I personally find it embarrassing when I read posts from people who don’t have a medical background, and don’t have any internal information, making bold claims about medical matters.

But hey, Twitter is gonna Twitter, and when it’s all about placing blame, those with a bone to pick are going to ride that train regardless.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
They should send down Kelly and recall Ostapchuk, just for my OCD. That would get them within $1200 of the cap ceiling prior to placing Norris on LTIR. Although, I guess they might be afraid that someone would claim Kelly...

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
How can you say that after watching preseason? We looked great against the Pens and Jets when each team iced their regular season squads.
2 teams not in our division and not guaranteed to make the playoffs. At least the Pens are in our conference so gives us a better chance for a wild card spot. Our goalies and top 4 D will have to play lights out to give us a chance without 2 of our top 3 centres.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
This is going to be an entertaining but a very frustrating season. Most likely we will miss the playoffs again, but there is a good chance that we might just sneak in

This is the season where this Team will learn what real Pain actually is!

(My analysis are partially based on us being without Norris and Pinto for extended period of time)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That comment was made before Norris suffered a tweak and a subsequent set back.

Like I said there is an issue with processing all of the information as opposed to looking to find fault and place blame.

It’s easy to post an opinion and claim that it represents ‘the fanbase’ but I suspect that the broader fanbase doesn’t have these pressing concerns nor delves into things to create blame situations much at all. That’s an HF boards thing where the uber fans gather to speculate.

I personally find it embarrassing when I read posts from people who don’t have a medical background, and don’t have any internal information, making bold claims about medical matters.

But hey, Twitter is gonna Twitter, and when it’s all about placing blame, those with a bone to pick are going to ride that train regardless.
Why do people ride a train if they have a bone to pick? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad