Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
As I understand, Norris has had 2 surgeries on the same shoulder?

I'm no doctor here, but I get the impression there's a limited amount of times you can operate on the same area. I mean, just how much can you do to fix a shoulder? How much wiggle room is there?

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
If you read the interview with DJ about Norris it's very vague and says precious little. The main point he keeps mentioning is that Norris wants to play and the result is that now everyone is back questioning the medical staff .
BUT maybe that real problem is that Norris wants to play but is afraid his shoulder isn't up to it and is worried he will get injured again.. Wouldn't be the first time a team put a different spin on things to take the pressure off the player. The Sens could have told him " Ok tell us when you feel ready to go and we will be patient with you." meanwhile the team gets roasted for not diagnosing/treating their player correctly but Norris isn't challenged for his reluctance to go.
Think DJ made it fairly clear today he isn't getting clearence to play from medical staff. The psychology element has been brought up a lot lately, probably as some hopium by fans to imply the shoulder isn't the problem. I think it's quite clear the shoulder is clearly the problem

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
These guys all participate in team group chats, you don’t think Pinto knew what was up with Norris ? I think that part is naive.

If they were always lying about the injury it sure didn’t help them get Pinto signed lol

I don't think a leader like Brady would allow Pinto into the group chat after he didn't buy in by signing a team friendly deal. I heard Debrincat got banned in the summer.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I wouldn't say tremendously I mean injuries happen it open the spot some someone to step in. Last season we didn't have Norris and missed the playoffs by only 6 points and we used 7 different goalies.
Norris is a 35+ goal scoring C who is good in the dot and in the D zone while being one of our better skaters. Nobody on the current roster behind Jimmy is close to him.

Let alone his importance on the PP (I know we will still have a great PP, but the 2nd unit would be better as well).

Making the post season is one thing, being able to make a run is another, and you need depth for that.

I didn't say it is a positive. I said it is the only positive of the situation.

Ideally, they should want to cost-control Pinto for as long as possible now before he plays more 2C minutes. They have an established salary structure that is good with franchise players like Stutzle and Sanderson, but can work against them with players like Pinto. Everybody who is even remotely relevant as a star got some variation of an 8M AAV. With Norris out, Pinto might put up a 30+ goal season. In which case, he will want 8M next year, or 5M-6M on a bridge deal.

If they get a chance to lock him down to a 5-8 year deal at 5M-6M, that would be a huge positive to come out of this. It also might prevent the Senators from extending Tarasenko, which Dorion originally planned to do, and I assume he would not have been given the go-ahead to do if Andlauer wasn't at least on board. So that's another positive because I don't think Tarasenko on a 4-5 year deal at 5M-6M will be a positive.
No, it isnt a positive.

Pinto gets more leverage now and your scenario could have still played out after they had a 1 year deal in place. The plan would have been to extend him the moment we could, later this season.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Think DJ made it fairly clear today he isn't getting clearence to play from medical staff. The psychology element has been brought up a lot lately, probably as some hopium by fans to imply the shoulder isn't the problem. I think it's quite clear the shoulder is clearly the problem
DJ made have said that today but why didn't he say that 2-3 weeks ago??? He's been wearing a regular practise jersey for weeks. If he's still injured why is that??? This "new" story only came out after the "mental" issues were made public. It certainly sounds like they are doing spin control right now to take pressure off the player.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Would Pinto even play the first game of the season if we signed him this weekend?
No chance IMO.

He would need at least a week to practice with the team and get his conditioning going.

Maybe the home opener next Saturday if all went well.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Or maybe hire one that knows how to treat shoulder injuries properly is more accurate .. lol

The medical staff told Dorion weeks/months ago that Norris shoulder is fixed and that we got nothing to worry about .. They seem like amateurs low budget doctors/trainers leftover from Melnyk ownership.
Yeah but we have a new owner now right?

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
I had a large cyst removed from my back several years ago. There was 6 or 7 stitches in it to close the cut. I got the stitches removed maybe 10 days later. Driving home on Montreal Rd I leaned forward and felt that incision open up. Had to wheel it around, back to the Montfort, blood everywhere.... that f***s with my mind to this day...the feeling of that ripping open.
New fear unlocked

Reactions: DrEasy

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
DJ made have said that today but why didn't he say that 2-3 weeks ago??? He's been wearing a regular practise jersey for weeks. If he's still injured why is that??? This "new" story only came out after the "mental" issues were made public. It certainly sounds like they are doing spin control right now to take pressure off the player.
If they just come out and say "he's crocked, sorry folks" you will be able to actually hear Pinto's agent rubbing his hands together. That's why

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This is definitely a positive despite how much it mixes up the message LOL.

If they thought he would re-injure his shoulder, no way he is practicing with contact.

Like I said at Fanfest, he took plenty and gave plenty of contact.
So maybe at fanfest is where he got the “setback”

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

IMO we have to just wait for Norris to be cleared and ready to play. I don't know if he's a week away or more but with Pinto on the sidelines .. I would LTIR Norris , get Pinto signed. See where things are closer to the 10 game mark and have a definite plan to make room if Norris can come back at that point.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
So maybe at fanfest is where he got the “setback”
I could be, but when he came off the ice he was in great spirits, reaching up and grabbing sweaters to sign, etc..

Maybe he tweaked it in an aggressive sweater exchange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad