Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

Oct 10, 2010
Yup, just keep firing the medical professionals until you get one that says what you want to hear!
Or maybe hire one that knows how to treat shoulder injuries properly is more accurate .. lol

The medical staff told Dorion weeks/months ago that Norris shoulder is fixed and that we got nothing to worry about .. They seem like amateurs low budget doctors/trainers leftover from Melnyk ownership.

Last edited:

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
It’s shocking news after literally months of hints and foreshadowing that he wouldn’t be ready to go. Shocked.

So where’s pinto’s contract Dorion? The prioritization of macEwan, Brannstrom, Hamonic (none of which I strongly disagree with in a vacuum) over a C who already has a rookie season at 2C under his belt given the potential large gaping hole in C depth is a terrible look for Pierre with new POHO and owner watching and preaching accountability.

All those little mistakes that needed to be covered up with dead cap buyouts and retention on trades combined with new mistakes in not being thoughtful about planning around available cap space this off-season might sink another early season. Dorion’s made some good moves in building this core and having them signed long term, but a lot of unforced errors might bury him and this teams chances for a strong start. Dorion’s got no one to blame but himself. I imagine the top brass feel that way too.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This ridiculous back and forth third hand info relaying circular talk about Norris.
Staios needs to clean this shit up asap.
And yeah people need to be fired and/or replaced if he’s not ready to go.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I mean, I was OK with him missing a bit but this now sounds like they have no idea what's going on.

Poor kid, what a roller-coaster.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The only positive if this is a legitimate long-term injury that will keep him out until at least the playoffs is that it could open up the Senators to go 5-8 years with Pinto.

Assuming the Senators are willing to walk away from Tarasenko, the cap-crunch is only for this season. The Senators project to have about 15 million in cap space next year with 14 players already signed. Their only significant unsigned players are Pinto, Tarasenko, Kubalik, and Brannstrom.

Kubalik and Brannstrom are complimentary pieces at best, they can easily walk away from either. There is room to sign Pinto at 5 or 6 million and then possibly keep one of Kubalik or Tarasenko, or replace them with an equivalent free agent. This is of course assuming Norris will be back in time for the playoffs and next season.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The only positive if this is a legitimate long-term injury that will keep him out until at least the playoffs is that it could open up the Senators to go 5-8 years with Pinto.

Assuming the Senators are willing to walk away from Tarasenko, the cap-crunch is only for this season. The Senators project to have about 15 million in cap space next year with 14 players already signed. Their only significant unsigned players are Pinto, Tarasenko, Kubalik, and Brannstrom.

Kubalik and Brannstrom are complimentary pieces at best, they can easily walk away from either. There is room to sign Pinto at 5 or 6 million and then possibly keep one of Kubalik or Tarasenko, or replace them with an equivalent free agent. This is of course assuming Norris will be back in time for the playoffs and next season.
I don't consider that a positive, at all.

We can get Pinto signed for 1 year and then extend him later.

This really, really sucks and if Norris has some extended injury, it hurts us tremendously.

Reactions: SquidNasty

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
You guys are too naive.

You can't take any of the public stuff said by team and coaches seriously. There is no doubt they already knew about this weeks ago.

They aren't going to let it get out that the shoulder of Norris is swiss-cheese when they are negotiating a contract with Pinto and negotiating numerous trades. Pinto just got significant leverage in his negotiation, because he is the only thing standing in the way of Rourke Chartier feeding Tarasenko one-timers in the NHL.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021

This really, really sucks and if Norris has some extended injury, it hurts us tremendously.
I wouldn't say tremendously I mean injuries happen it open the spot some someone to step in. Last season we didn't have Norris and missed the playoffs by only 6 points and we used 7 different goalies.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

I didn't say it is a positive. I said it is the only positive of the situation.

Ideally, they should want to cost-control Pinto for as long as possible now before he plays more 2C minutes. They have an established salary structure that is good with franchise players like Stutzle and Sanderson, but can work against them with players like Pinto. Everybody who is even remotely relevant as a star got some variation of an 8M AAV. With Norris out, Pinto might put up a 30+ goal season. In which case, he will want 8M next year, or 5M-6M on a bridge deal.

If they get a chance to lock him down to a 5-8 year deal at 5M-6M, that would be a huge positive to come out of this. It also might prevent the Senators from extending Tarasenko, which Dorion originally planned to do, and I assume he would not have been given the go-ahead to do if Andlauer wasn't at least on board. So that's another positive because I don't think Tarasenko on a 4-5 year deal at 5M-6M will be a positive.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
If you read the interview with DJ about Norris it's very vague and says precious little. The main point he keeps mentioning is that Norris wants to play and the result is that now everyone is back questioning the medical staff .
BUT maybe that real problem is that Norris wants to play but is afraid his shoulder isn't up to it and is worried he will get injured again.. Wouldn't be the first time a team put a different spin on things to take the pressure off the player. The Sens could have told him " Ok tell us when you feel ready to go and we will be patient with you." meanwhile the team gets roasted for not diagnosing/treating their player correctly but Norris isn't challenged for his reluctance to go.

Oct 10, 2010
You guys are too naive.

You can't take any of the public stuff said by team and coaches seriously. There is no doubt they already knew about this weeks ago.

They aren't going to let it get out that the shoulder of Norris is swiss-cheese when they are negotiating a contract with Pinto and negotiating numerous trades. Pinto just got significant leverage in his negotiation, because he is the only thing standing in the way of Rourke Chartier feeding Tarasenko one-timers in the NHL.
These guys all participate in team group chats, you don’t think Pinto knew what was up with Norris ? I think that part is naive.

If they were always lying about the injury it sure didn’t help them get Pinto signed lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad