Value of: Josh Manson to the Leafs at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
the ducks are 3 points behind Vegas for first place and they just beat Tampa 5-1.
Which season are you referencing ?

This one where they have gone 3-7 in their last 10.

Although they are up 2-0 on Boston tonight but that doesn't erase the run they have been on.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This one where they have gone 3-7 in their last 10.

Although they are up 2-0 on Boston tonight but that doesn't erase the run they have been on.
I think a lot of that was due to half the roster being out on Covid the last 10 games…. Tonight is the first game we are relatively healthy

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I always liked Manson for the Oilers. Haven't watched him play for a while though. How does he look these days?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I always liked Manson for the Oilers. Haven't watched him play for a while though. How does he look these days?
Not as offensive as he once looked, but fairly steady defensive player, plays physical, protects goalie and teammates, has a little edge to his game, not afraid to drop em.

Prob a great add for a playoff team

Reactions: Arthuros

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not as offensive as he once looked, but fairly steady defensive player, plays physical, protects goalie and teammates, has a little edge to his game, not afraid to drop em.

Prob a great add for a playoff team

The bolded is what the Leafs need... so, probably a good fit for the Leafs, assuming Ducks were selling.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The bolded is what the Leafs need... so, probably a good fit for the Leafs, assuming Ducks were selling.
Manson to the leafs has always made sense…. In years past the cost was prob biggest obstacle. Now the issue is do the ducks feel like they have a shot to make playoffs, and be competitive, we’re also pretty weak on rhd side so I imagine we plan to resign him

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wow you actually agree with this? I expected you to call it a "panic" thread because..... Well that's what you do

You don't pay much attention do you? I don't run to make trade threads, when a goalie gets injured, or another player gets hurt, or panic situations. I've suggested for four-five seasons that the Leafs could use a RD, of the ilk of Manson. Our friend @Zegs2comtois and I have talked about Manson for something like 3-4 seasons, back to when he was @getz2noone There have been a bunch of more physical, RD that I think the Leafs should target if they were available... Peeke for example... Thought we should have signed Hakanpaa last off season.

congrats on making a good Thread.

Last edited:

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Manson to the leafs has always made sense…. In years past the cost was prob biggest obstacle. Now the issue is do the ducks feel like they have a shot to make playoffs, and be competitive, we’re also pretty weak on rhd side so I imagine we plan to resign him
This is what I'm hoping for. If a 3 or 4 year deal is possible, I think it would be ideal for us. I only see Manson being traded if he won't sign or his contract demands are unreasonable.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This is what I'm hoping for. If a 3 or 4 year deal is possible, I think it would be ideal for us. I only see Manson being traded if he won't sign or his contract demands are unreasonable.

Nothing wrong with a deadline trade, where he goes to a team like the Leafs, who really don't have the cap room to sign him anyway. He can sign with the Ducks in the offseason, and you get some nice assets for lending him out for a few months.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Nothing wrong with a deadline trade, where he goes to a team like the Leafs, who really don't have the cap room to sign him anyway. He can sign with the Ducks in the offseason, and you get some nice assets for lending him out for a few months.
That’s kinda why I like the leafs as a trade partner… virtually no chance they can resign him…. So we should be able to get him back. Granted Anaheim is still in playoff race and look pretty solid so who knows what we’ll do

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Leafs badly need help on the blue line but Dubas can't keep giving away firsts for a team that has shown it is clearly not a contender. Let this team show that it has what it takes to go on a run, then start mortgaging the future.

Thankfully, there are still some prospects in the system with potential but no guarantees. Considering that, Dubas should be looking for a steady bottom-pairing RD that won't cost 1st or 2nds (and the sooner the better, takes time for D to acclimate to a new team).

If he can't find it, he may convince himself that since his job is certainly on the line this spring, this team has to advance a few rounds and so he takes the plunge and goes for one of the higher valued targets. However, considering the Leafs' likely opponents in the first, and potentially, second round (and third and fourth), I definitely don't envy Dubas' situation. This team is in tough no matter who they bring in.
I don't think the Leafs badly need help on the blueline.

I think they have three top-four D, seven NHL-quality D, a marginal second-pairing RD in Holl, and an up-and-coming RD in Liljegren.

Aside from the salary-cap limitations, I would much rather they stay the course and see more of what they have with Liljegren. He might be the substantial upgrade on Holl that they need, and it makes no sense to close-off his development by filling the second-pairing RD spot with a veteran D who very shortly might not be as good.

I think the Leafs already have what they need within their own system. This is what they've been building for.

In the meantime, while Sandin and Lilgren grow into their roles, the Leafs D is working well enough already.

Patience.

Reactions: DarylO

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
That’s kinda why I like the leafs as a trade partner… virtually no chance they can resign him…. So we should be able to get him back. Granted Anaheim is still in playoff race and look pretty solid so who knows what we’ll do

This would be the dream lol.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Murphy - $4.4 mil x 4 (Extension)
McCabe - $4 mil x 4
Savard - $3.5 mil x 4
Olesksiak - $4.6 mil x 5
Larsson - $4 mil x 4

The 2021 market was not generous to Top 4 defensive defensemen. As teams get further away from the initial aftershocks of an unexpected flat cap, maybe that changes. Hard to say.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
the ducks are 3 points behind Vegas for first place and they just beat Tampa 5-1.
Which season are you referencing ?

If we reajust the standings with % of points and the same number of game than anaheim.

Colorado 67
Minnesota 61
St louis 58
Nashville 56
Vegas 54
Calgary 52
Dallas 50
Lak 49
Anaheim 49
Edmonton 48
Winnipeg 47
San jose 46

They are maybe right now 3 pts away of vegas because of number of games player but in realitity they are closer of sj at 12 th than vegas

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Last night was a perfect example as to why Manson should be a target
Ya I think the leafs were pretty weak in front of the net/ players goin hard to the net. Anaheim didn’t play well but basically any time they went to that area they were rewarded

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Anaheim selling would flood the market. Possible trade options in that scenario include Giordano, Lindholm, Chiarot and Leddy on the left, with Klingberg, Ristolainen and Manson on the right. The top guy(s) will bring back quality returns, but there could be a mega squeeze on this year's 2nd/3rd tier type targets that would be 1st tier in a different year.
Sounds good to me and totally agree the market is flooded and with Covid screwing up cap problems next year I see this being a buyers market except for couple of players. Players with term don’t have the same value they normally do because of it

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Manson is a really good fit based on how small our defenders are (Sandin, Brodie, Dermott, Liliegren are all undersized). Maybe he's not an elite top 3 d-man anymore but he's still a physical, net clearing presence and can probably handle a top 4 role playing with Muzzin.

also ignore my dp - i'm a leafs fan

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad