Value of: Josh Manson to the Leafs at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean they could extend him... and playing like what exactly? Team has been missing significant pieces the last few weeks, due to covid running through the line up.

Gibson Fowler Lindholm Zegras Getzlaf Terry Milano Comtois Stolarz prob a few others i missed have all missed time over the last 10 games or so.

Playing like 3-7 in their last 10

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Especially at 50% retention, I'd expect/want more than just a late middle to late late first round pick. Probably not a huge amount more, but a decent prospect or a (projected higher than the decent prospect) reclamation project/someone needing a change of scenery on top of the pick.

As I said earlier that's not a crazy ask except Colorado, Carolina, Vegas and Florida have all traded their 1st round pick so I wonder how many 1sts we see move at the deadline considering those 4 are already gone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
A 1st for 50% Manson is IMO worth it but if Anaheim is indeed opening the floodgates I would rather pay the extra top prospect plus whatever it would take to bring Lindholm to TO
Well I’d imagine just about every playoff team would love to add lindholm , ducks should extend him tho…. He’s too important to our roster

Reactions: lwvs84

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well I’d imagine just about every playoff team would love to add lindholm , ducks should extend him tho…. He’s too important to our roster

Oh if he's available that's a different ball game I'd put damn near everything on the table for him.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
As I said earlier that's not a crazy ask except Colorado, Carolina, Vegas and Florida have all traded their 1st round pick so I wonder how many 1sts we see move at the deadline considering those 4 are already gone

Like you saif 4 of most serious buyer already traded their 1st and will depend how playoff picture will look at deadline

Team right now out of playoff
Giroux
Ristolainen
Jt miller
Giordano
Lindholm
Manson
Rakell
Chychrun
Hertl
Chiarot
Colin Miller

Team on the line
Brown
Pavelski
Klindberg

Player with best chance of 1st pick

Giroux
Hertl
Lindholm
Jt Miller
Chychrun
Giordano
Pavelski
Klindberg

So no i dont thing duck will be able to get a 1st round this season for Manson, too many good player are available. An 2nd pick should be Manson value.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
The Leafs Would need Demott going back the other way to make salary work. Dermott+ 1st for Manson@50%, not sure how ducks feel about that.

I cant imagine the Ducks would have much interest in that eating extra year on Dermotts contract just to have a warm body. he's not very good

Last edited:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Dermott caphit is 1.5M, not 3m... its not a huge deal...

correction noted - I removed the dollar value from my reply

Regardless, they are still stuck with an extra year of a not very good player.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If you can get a 1st rounder or a prospect the scouts value as much as one back for Manson, you do the trade. If the best asset you get back is a late 2nd, Manson is more valuable for the leadership and protecting Drysdale (more in terms of matchups/minutes with Drysdale, but the physical protection with all the young guys.

Reactions: Lemonlimey and bsu

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Leafs badly need help on the blue line but Dubas can't keep giving away firsts for a team that has shown it is clearly not a contender. Let this team show that it has what it takes to go on a run, then start mortgaging the future.

Thankfully, there are still some prospects in the system with potential but no guarantees. Considering that, Dubas should be looking for a steady bottom-pairing RD that won't cost 1st or 2nds (and the sooner the better, takes time for D to acclimate to a new team).

If he can't find it, he may convince himself that since his job is certainly on the line this spring, this team has to advance a few rounds and so he takes the plunge and goes for one of the higher valued targets. However, considering the Leafs' likely opponents in the first, and potentially, second round (and third and fourth), I definitely don't envy Dubas' situation. This team is in tough no matter who they bring in.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Ducks finally getting healthy. Terry, Henrique and Fowler all coming back tonight against Boston (allegedly). Might change their strategy at the deadline if they start playing the way they did at the start of the season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs badly need help on the blue line but Dubas can't keep giving away firsts for a team that has shown it is clearly not a contender. Let this team show that it has what it takes to go on a run, then start mortgaging the future.

Thankfully, there are still some prospects in the system with potential but no guarantees. Considering that, Dubas should be looking for a steady bottom-pairing RD that won't cost 1st or 2nds (and the sooner the better, takes time for D to acclimate to a new team).

If he can't find it, he may convince himself that since his job is certainly on the line this spring, this team has to advance a few rounds and so he takes the plunge and goes for one of the higher valued targets. However, considering the Leafs' likely opponents in the first, and potentially, second round (and third and fourth), I definitely don't envy Dubas' situation. This team is in tough no matter who they bring in.

I don't think he has to convince himself of anything I think his job is on the line, and possibly Keefe's to because a new GM might look for a new coach

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
If you can get a 1st rounder or a prospect the scouts value as much as one back for Manson, you do the trade. If the best asset you get back is a late 2nd, Manson is more valuable for the leadership and protecting Drysdale (more in terms of matchups/minutes with Drysdale, but the physical protection with all the young guys.

I undestand your idea but we dont talk about 40 game of leadership and protection but max 18 game if duck are unable to resign manson. So if max duck can get is a second pick, why not

A lot of good player come from 2nd round like

Kucherov, girard, hart, debrincat, aho, carlo, cernak, hintz, dunn, kylington, saad, gibson, karlsson, orlov, dumoulin, lehner...

DUck are not in an easy scenario : if they loose lindholm, manson et rakell, they will be in trouble. If they loose all of them without get nothing in return, they will be even more in trouble. So for me it will depend if they want to hit free agency market or stay in anaheim. If they dont want to stay, they will leave for the best they can have for those player.

Reactions: Scrapy1980

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I undestand your idea but we dont talk about 40 game of leadership and protection but max 18 game if duck are unable to resign manson. So if max duck can get is a second pick, why not

A lot of good player come from 2nd round like

Kucherov, girard, hart, debrincat, aho, carlo, cernak, hintz, dunn, kylington, saad, gibson, karlsson, orlov, dumoulin, lehner...

DUck are not in an easy scenario : if they loose lindholm, manson et rakell, they will be in trouble. If they loose all of them without get nothing in return, they will be even more in trouble. So for me it will depend if they want to hit free agency market or stay in anaheim. If they dont want to stay, they will leave for the best they can have for those player.

Sure, there can be good players in the second round, but it's far more likely that the player doesn't make a huge impact. The probability of a 2nd round pick being a solid NHL player is pretty low. It would depend on where contract negotiations are and where the Ducks are for a playoff spot. If they are right there for that 3rd seed, why not go for the spot and use Manson in the playoffs? Or if they feel contract negotiations are going well and they can come to an agreement, keep him for that too. Losing Lindholm for nothing would be the biggest set back... a 2nd round pick isn't going to make or break the rebuild. Losing a 27 year old #1 d-man for nothing is going to hurt bad and set the Ducks back a lot.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Sure, there can be good players in the second round, but it's far more likely that the player doesn't make a huge impact. The probability of a 2nd round pick being a solid NHL player is pretty low. It would depend on where contract negotiations are and where the Ducks are for a playoff spot. If they are right there for that 3rd seed, why not go for the spot and use Manson in the playoffs? Or if they feel contract negotiations are going well and they can come to an agreement, keep him for that too. Losing Lindholm for nothing would be the biggest set back... a 2nd round pick isn't going to make or break the rebuild. Losing a 27 year old #1 d-man for nothing is going to hurt bad and set the Ducks back a lot.

You can use the pick to move up in the draft and trade him away to upgrade your team this offseason like colorado did with devon toews.

But at the end if duck keep everybody and still miss the playoff, they will loose all the way. The next 21 ganes will be huge for anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad