Value of: Josh Anderson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We have been looking for a power forward and a keeper. Who cares about the "valuation" on an internet hockey board.

Agreed. There are a few fans in our herd that want to trade him in the "get rid of him narrative". Not going to happen and I am happy that Hughes/MSL feels the same. This is not an easy piece to acquire in today's NHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That is a interesting comment , and the more I think of it I like it and agree with it..........

Every team needs skill, grit, speed, offense, defense, warriors, and goaltending if you want to get to the final 4.

The funny part is sometimes your team already had skill but is lacking warriors so you would value that but then other teams have warriors and are lacking skill so you value that more. The truth is you need parts in all locations.

A guy like Marner would look so much better in the playoffs if he had a warrior like Anderson on his line. Both RW and I get that but I'm sure you get the point.

Reactions: waitin425

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
47 points with Columbus and on pace 43 points this year.
C'mon... everyone knows Anderson had 1g and 3a in 26 games when Columbus traded him to Montreal. Everyone already explained that's the type of player he is.

Yes, this is sarcasm if you weren't part of the pre-trade threads. Anderson has two problems...1) oft injured throughout career and 2) the current contract in today's environment doesn't do him any favors. He's still a unique talent but there is certainly risk associated with him.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
People are predictably getting excited about Anderson again because of he's been hotter lately but that guy doesn't have great IQ, is brittle and more importantly, is frustratingly inconsistent.
He will come down to earth soon, at which point people will again want unload him.

I don't think he is garbage. I like him. But considering where the team is right now, he's the kind of asset we should be looking to move while he has plenty of value.

That's if Gorton and Hughes intend to operate a proper rebuild, which I am increasingly doubting.

E
A guy like Marner would look so much better in the playoffs if he had a warrior like Anderson on his line.

Funny, because it's not like Anderson was particularly great during our playoff run a few months ago.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
People are predictably getting excited about Anderson again because of he's been hotter lately but that guy doesn't have great IQ, is brittle and more importantly, is frustratingly inconsistent.
He will come down to earth soon, at which point people will again want unload him.

I don't think he is garbage. I like him. But considering where the team is right now, he's the kind of asset we should be looking to move while he has plenty of value.

That's if Gorton and Hughes intend to operate a proper rebuild, which I am increasingly doubting.

Funny, because it's not like Anderson was particularly great during our playoff run a few months ago.

You're undervaluing Anderson cause you are stat checking. These types of players are guys you want to play with vs against. Look at what he is doing with Caufield and Suzuki where MSL has him playing in a consistent spot? Julien and Ducharme yoyoed guys around the line-up too much.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I wouldnt go as far as some to say that Anderson is untouchable, but it would take an overpayment to get him.
Something like Patch's return?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You're undervaluing Anderson cause you are stat checking. These types of players are guys you want to play with vs against. Look at what he is doing with Caufield and Suzuki where MSL has him playing in a consistent spot? Julien and Ducharme yoyoed guys around the line-up too much.

When you guys are truly ready to compete, in 3-5 years, a 26-27 year old Anderson, will be exactly what you need. Sadly, he'll be 30+ and has already shown fragility... with his style, it isn't going to get better. Good player, but depending on him to stay this good, into his thirties, isn't great asset management.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When you guys are truly ready to compete, in 3-5 years, a 26-27 year old Anderson, will be exactly what you need. Sadly, he'll be 30+ and has already shown fragility... with his style, it isn't going to get better. Good player, but depending on him to stay this good, into his thirties, isn't great asset management.

I'm not worried one bit about Anderson. Signed from 27-32. 30+ is not some drop off a cliff threshold that you can apply equally to all players. We will gladly keep him around with Suzuki/Caufield and work on the other lines moving forward.

The only fragility you will find is his 19/20 season where he got hurt. But since then, he has not missed that much games. Missed 4 games last year and 11 games this year (so far). Missed a few games due to Covid. Nothing I have seen with his time with the Habs gives me any reason to be concerned like you.

Habs are not shopping him so if you think we are stuck with a problem, that is our problem, not yours. If Anderson was a UFA this summer, he easily gets offered the contract he has now by several teams. Reality

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I wouldnt go as far as some to say that Anderson is untouchable, but it would take an overpayment to get him.
Something like Patch's return?
He is a good player but he is no Patches.......

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Anderson, Suzuki and CC have been flying since MSL took over, I think it's pretty safe to assume none of these guys are going anywhere and that they will be the top line come next season!

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Habs won't be ready to compete for 3 to 5 years - check . Sadly he'll be 30+ by then - check . Fragile because of style of play - check . Poor asset management - check . It's the grand slam of negative posts , well done .

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
$5.5M a year seems fair.

It is fair and it will look better in the back half of that term when the cap sky rockets (after the NHLPA pays of their outstanding balance).

What would you rather?
Anderson for 3 years (27-29) at $4.5M (Flat cap years) where he is a pending UFA right when the cap rises significantly then you go to pay him way more than $5.5M at a bad time (age 29 with more term)
vs
Anderson for 6 more years (27-32) at a stable rate of $5.5M

Oilers got a similar value with Hyman who puts up more points but he's not a power forward type. Signed from age 29-35 at the same cap hit vs Anderson who is signed from 27-32. I think the Oilers and Habs both have good assets there and the contract will age well. Even if they expire in the 30+ years (32 vs 35)

Players who usually decline at rapid rates in their 30's are the ones with below average skating IMO. Hyman or Anderson are great skaters.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs won't be ready to compete for 3 to 5 years - check . Sadly he'll be 30+ by then - check . Fragile because of style of play - check . Poor asset management - check . It's the grand slam of negative posts , well done .

Well done. Some posters get way to obsessive with one sided angles. Maybe they live their life like this though so I guess we can't blame them. The issue I have is not looking at multiple angles and being open to both pros and cons.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Anderson scores 3 last night so watch this. offers will start that say , finally a hab thats worth a 3rd rounder, quickly followed with 10 guys that post " now dont go crazy he might be worth a 3rd if he continues to score 3 per game" and dont forget the money, Habs would have to take back a bad contract we have unless habs will retain50% of Anderson. then the last 3 guys will STILL say a 3rd is an overpayment and refuse.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad