Value of: Josh Anderson to the New Jersey Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Lots of teams were interested until they talked contract with his agent. The exact reason Columbus was moving him in the first place. There was only one team that wanted to give him that asinine contract and that was MB. 6 more years at 5.5 million for a third line winger is negative value.

Domi had no value when he was traded. He went from 1st line center to off the roster by the playoffs. His value tanked. The book on him is perimeter player, poor defensively and is best on the left wing but wants to play center. He was not a hot commodity. MB and Julien ran him out of town.

You are the one practicing revisionist history.

Yeah Columbus moved him because of the contract demand. They really did not want to lose Anderson, they just didn't think they could justify the 7 x $5.5m deal. Jarmo offered a bit less than that, and drew the line there.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Yeah Columbus moved him because of the contract demand. They really did not want to lose Anderson, they just didn't think they could justify the 7 x $5.5m deal. Jarmo offered a bit less than that, and drew the line there.
Not sure, but it might have been Anderson who didn't want to sign long term in Columbus like many players before him.

Reactions: Garnet76

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tom Wilson is cheaper and far better.

Better yes but not sure how much more. Contract signed in 2018 at age 24. Anderson signed his in 2020 at the age of 26. Signed 2 years earlier and 2 year younger. Wilson plays on a better team but I do think he is better but not "far better".

Does this context say that Anderson is a negative contract? I don't think so Mr

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lots of teams were interested until they talked contract with his agent. The exact reason Columbus was moving him in the first place. There was only one team that wanted to give him that asinine contract and that was MB. 6 more years at 5.5 million for a third line winger is negative value.

Domi had no value when he was traded. He went from 1st line center to off the roster by the playoffs. His value tanked. The book on him is perimeter player, poor defensively and is best on the left wing but wants to play center. He was not a hot commodity. MB and Julien ran him out of town.

Sorry, Anderson from age 26-32 at $5.5M is not a negative contract. Those are prime years.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Oh man the nonsense that some people say just try to convince themselves they have the ultimate truth is absurd. Just find me ONE source saying there was no market for Anderson. Last I recall, there was a huge bidding war for his services and he was a player a lot of team eyed.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh man the nonsense that some people say just try to convince themselves they have the ultimate truth is absurd. Just find me ONE source saying there was no market for Anderson. Last I recall, there was a huge bidding war for his services and he was a player a lot of team eyed.

A fair amount of Habs fans are not even shopping Anderson and this idea is not a Habs trade proposal. Then you get a bunch of posters trying to say Anderson is a negative contract. Comical. Personally, Anderson is not going anywhere if I'm the Habs GM. He's a guy I retain in our rebuild and he's still with us after the rebuild. If another team wants him, don't call us up and say I want Anderson but he is a negative contract so trade him to me for cheap. And then say if we decline and ask for more, we are not being reasonable. :laugh:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Seriously... the Habs had to throw in a 3rd round pick for the trade because of bidding.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Not sure, but it might have been Anderson who didn't want to sign long term in Columbus like many players before him.
Here is what happened:

The team took a hard line bridge deal with him on his previous contract. He eventually accepted it despite sitting out camp (Torts criticized his agent for this move). During his bridge contract, he separated his shoulder which basically tanked his final contract year. Then the Jackets took another hard line with him and refused to budge off of what they valued him at based on the totality of his performance during the bridge contract (including his final year which was almost a total loss due to injury). This rubbed him the wrong way as he expected a lot more loyalty from the team. He wanted them to commit at least $5.5 million over 7 years but the Jackets only wanted 3-4 years or 7-8 at a significant discount. As a result, he refused to budge from his demand. This led to an impasse on the contract and feelings of resentment which led to his trade.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Tom Wilson is cheaper and far better.
Obviously, he is one of the best bargain in the NHL. That does not mean that Anderson is not valuable at that cap hit.

Actually I guess all teams would like to have him even Washington who already have Tom Wilson. It's very rare to find these type of forward (big, physical, fast and talented)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here is what happened:

The team took a hard line bridge deal with him on his previous contract. He eventually accepted it despite sitting out camp (Torts criticized his agent for this move). During his bridge contract, he separated his shoulder which basically tanked his final contract year. Then the Jackets took another hard line with him and refused to budge off of what they valued him at based on the totality of his performance during the bridge contract (including his final year which was almost a total loss due to injury). This rubbed him the wrong way as he expected a lot more loyalty from the team. He wanted them to commit at least $5.5 million over 7 years but the Jackets only wanted 3-4 years or 7-8 at a significant discount. As a result, he refused to budge from his demand. This led to an impasse on the contract and feelings of resentment which led to his trade.

Per Porty, Jarmo eventually offered something much closer to Anderson's ask. IIRC it might have been 7 x $5m or maybe even a bit more. But it wasn't $5.5m and Anderson would not budge off of that.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Obviously, he is one of the best bargain in the NHL. That does not mean that Anderson is not valuable at that cap h
Actually I guess all teams would like to have him even Washington who already have Tom Wilson. It's very rare to find these type of forward (big, physical, fast and talented)
I was asked to find someone who is far better and cheaper. It didn't take me long at all. Now you whine about it?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I was asked to find someone who is far better and cheaper. It didn't take me long at all. Now you whine about it?
What is your problem with me exactly?
There are many more cheaper alternatives to almost every player in this league. So good for you, I guess...

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Sorry, Anderson from age 26-32 at $5.5M is not a negative contract. Those are prime years.

Its a negative contract at 5.5 over the next 6 years. Just because he is entering his "prime years" doesn't mean a contract will not have negative value. An over pay in terms of money and/or term is still an over pay. Maybe in 4 more years after drafting in the top 10 and not developing a couple more failed 1st round draft picks then you will be able to move him for a 1st. But it certainly won't be one year after no other team in the league stepped up to trade for him so he can sign that deal. Not without a sweetener. Team have seen how these power forwards age and it is not well. That is why Columbus traded him in the first place and got a cap dump and a 3rd. So to move him to Jersey without any retention this year it still is Anderson + 1st for a 3rd.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Its a negative contract at 5.5 over the next 6 years. Just because he is entering his "prime years" doesn't mean a contract will not have negative value. An over pay in terms of money and/or term is still an over pay. Maybe in 4 more years after drafting in the top 10 and not developing a couple more failed 1st round draft picks then you will be able to move him for a 1st. But it certainly won't be one year after no other team in the league stepped up to trade for him so he can sign that deal. Not without a sweetener. Team have seen how these power forwards age and it is not well. That is why Columbus traded him in the first place and got a cap dump and a 3rd. So to move him to Jersey without any retention this year it still is Anderson + 1st for a 3rd.

You're not doing a good job to prove his contract is negative. Keep trying though

Habs are not desperate to move Anderson. Some might but most will not. I guess we are stuck with him according to your standards and we are perfectly fine on that.

Reactions: aresknights

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

what a ludicrous f***ing take

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
You're not doing a good job to prove his contract is negative. Keep trying though

Habs are not desperate to move Anderson. Some might but most will not. I guess we are stuck with him according to your standards and we are perfectly fine on that.

You haven't proven his contract has value in a trade though. Even Columbus fans have said the reason he was traded was excessive contract demands. How about you show me how its a positive contract and state his value.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
How is that ludicrous? He was only worth a cap dump and a 3rd to acquire him. He is not any different than the player he was a year ago.
Your gaslighting isn’t worth a detailed response. I will end by posting that not a single person who has even a limited understanding of ice hockey would trade a first, let alone a projected top 3 to “rid” themselves of a wanted player who is slightly overpaid. Idiotic

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
How is that ludicrous? He was only worth a cap dump and a 3rd to acquire him. He is not any different than the player he was a year ago.

The trade was RFA rights of Domi +3rd for RFA rights of Anderson. No cap dumps were involved. CBJ signed Domi to the "cap dump" contract after the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad