Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin----Nothing burger edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I did tell you guys to "relax" about him durikg the preseason...

Happy to see he's off to a good start

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Please don't take the foot off the gas pedal. Obviously it's unfair to expect him to play like this every game, but play like this most of the time and I would love it.

I don't expect any players to pit a great showing for all of the 82 games…...even guys like Price will have bad nights.
So far, so good for Drouin…..miles away from preseason and the last 20 games of last year.

If he can be like that for 70ish games, i won't complain.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
A decent start two games in, glad he has been putting some effort in, still another gear yet, let's hope he gets there. He did have a decent season last year, until the last 26 games, so let's not get too excited here.
But, kudos to Laflamme so far...

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I've never seen Drouin like this. Looks like he takes the game way more seriously, looks closer to the group, happier when the team scores. I don't know, just his body language is different. Let's hope it will stay because if it does, he'll be perfect for Domi.
His play now is completely different. He plays a group's game now. He's a perfect completary for any center or winger. Could benefit to have better winger on the line. When he pushes the gaz, he have engine in his legs, he's faster than last year.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
A decent start two games in, glad he has been putting some effort in, still another gear yet, let's hope he gets there. He did have a decent season last year, until the last 26 games, so let's not get too excited here.
Ok it's not Laflamme but I always wanted to have an nhl player named Laveuglette, just to hear "la passe à Laveuglette et il compte !" ... hear that once in my life, that would be funny.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm praying Drouin keeps this up for the rest of the year. He wasn't as noticeable against the Make Believes but he still played an excellent game. Two games so far and no brain farts, giveaways or sulky tantrums. He has been defensively dependable and hasn't tried to outplay all of the opposing players. I have to admit I never thought I would see a mature and dependable Drouin. If he keeps this up for the rest of the year, I'll gladly admit I was wrong about him.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I should stop using Guy Lafleur as the comparison; Lafleur is too big a name, he was too good, too legendary, so it comes with a lot of baggage.

Here's a better one: We need Drouin to be the equivalent of 07-08 Kovalev for many years.
We had too much hockey stars in our history. When we have a good goalie we compare him to Plante, Dryden, Roy, when we have a top center we compare with Béliveau, Mahovlich, Lemaire, Smith, when it's a winger it would be Lafleur, Shutt, Naslund.
With his size and skating, Drouin looks more to Lafleur than Kovalev.
Kovy was a tall and big guy, Drouin will never be. But Drouin in a smaller body is faster in small spaces than Kovalev. Kovy was a better shooter, Drouin is a better passer and a faster skater, especially in small spaces, break and go.
But to compare points in a year, yes we can compare pts wise as a number result but they do in a complete different style.
I would say it's like Drouin will be a 70% Lafleur. But at his age, we don't know if he'll end up from 50% to 90% of Lafleur.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
He looks faster and in better condition than last year. I think he lost weight and it really helped his playstyle. A big part of his downfall last season was that he was gassed at towards the end

He's an important piece for this team. I really hopes he continues this way

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He played with some edge last night but didn't have the puck much. He's very good potentially with the puck. On the power play he just dished it back to the point so they can force feed Weber. I'd like to see him be more creative with the puck. that's who he is. But overall he's off to a good start.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I think it's time to try him with Domi again now that he's showing this kind of edge. I'd like to see him up there and give Suzuki one more chance next game with those two.

Reactions: c_robio

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He looks faster and in better condition than last year. I think he lost weight and it really helped his playstyle. A big part of his downfall last season was that he was gassed at towards the end

He's an important piece for this team. I really hopes he continues this way
I said this in the off-season, but I think a lot of his issues with us the last two years were due to the added weight and lesser conditioning. If you play to conserve energy in this league, you’ll get roasted. Right now he’s playing full throttle, and if keeps it up he’s going to have a great year.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He was excellent again yesterday. Of he can do this for the majority of the season, we'll be in good shape.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
What was especially impressive about last night, as well as against Carolina, was that those were the type of teams he’d normally coast against. If he continues to play this way against contenders, he’s going to absolutely crush bottom feeders.

He’s going to have stinkers, that’s for sure, but as long as the effort is there, I think he’ll be alright.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goal Caufield

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Its been two games, so it doesn't mean much, but statistically his closest underlying number comparable on the team is Gallagher (which is never a bad thing).

So far for the first two games he's playing like he's told himself: I'm going to be the hardest working player on the ice.

Only two games, but hopefully something has clicked - as in that's the way he's going to have to play to be successful in this league.

Jul 6, 2016
I prefer a Jonathan Drouin busting his ass and playing for the Habs, than a Jonathan Drouin traded away.

Reactions: jj cale

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

Even when he was producing at a good pace last year, his effort and compete level was too low, so far this year he’s working and competing more then i have never seen him in a Habs uniform, thats alot
more important then the 1 goal 1 assist in 2
games for me.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'm praying Drouin keeps this up for the rest of the year. He wasn't as noticeable against the Make Believes but he still played an excellent game. Two games so far and no brain farts, giveaways or sulky tantrums. He has been defensively dependable and hasn't tried to outplay all of the opposing players. I have to admit I never thought I would see a mature and dependable Drouin. If he keeps this up for the rest of the year, I'll gladly admit I was wrong about him.

His problem is between the ears and consistency. Both are likely tied together. He’s had a great first two games but he had a strong first couple of months last year as well. I want to see how he reacts when he goes threw adversity which he will at some point. That’ll be the most telling part as to if he’s actually grown as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad