Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin----Nothing burger edition.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Maybe if you had been old enough to watch the games you would stop this extremely dumb analogy. Kovy was super lazy 'enigma' but he could control the entire game whne he was on. I have never seen drouin play anywhere near this level. In fact few players ever could play like him when he decided it was a game to play in.

Look up the Darcy tucker forearm shiver or when he dropped his glove or helmet in I think the bruins games. Literally no one could strip the puck from him.

I didnt even much like him because of the inconsistency but boy oh boy the talent was there to break a game on any given night...without help from any team mates. Honestly have seen few players like him. Jagr comes to mind with good reason. Jagr was what kovy would have been if he wasnt distracted from everything else in life. Guy was way too smart to just be a hockey player, so it was something he did to earn a living.
Don’t worry I was old enough (in the future keep your personal attacks to yourself pls) and at that Sat night game vs Leafs when a 33-year old Kovy nailed Tucker. In a hard cap system it’s allowed all about production per $. The point remains 24 both Kovalev & Drouin produced at same rate even - and Drouin hasn’t nowhere near the offensive talent surrounding him Kovy has on the NYR

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Don’t worry I was old enough (in the future keep your personal attacks to yourself pls) and at that Sat night game vs Leafs when a 33-year old Kovy nailed Tucker. In a hard cap system it’s allowed all about production per $. At 24 both Kovalev & Drouin produced at same rate.
This has been explained to death for you, so like some others I will just scroll by from now on. Stop looking at numbers buddy. One is not like the other. This is the same thing that got radulov off the team. "He only gets X points "*ignore all other context*

Hey look Lars Eller is 14th overall for points in the league!! Man why did we trade him for nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
This has been explained to death for you, so like some others I will just scroll by from now on. Stop looking at numbers buddy. One is not like the other. This is the same thing that got radulov off the team. "He only gets X points "*ignore all other context*

Hey look Lars Eller is 14th overall for points in the league!! Man why did we trade him for nothing.
Just because a certain take has been posted multiple times doesn’t make it so - in a hard cap system proper Asset management is based on maximizing $ per production. Drouin is paid the lower tier of the going rate for a 50-60 point producer. There’s an assumption Drouin has zero growth potential till he hits the 32+ yr mark some of you fondly remember of Kovalev - maybe that ends up being accurate, maybe not. Style does not equal end result of $ per production

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It may be random because no one knows for sure but its close. Almost all NHL players were superstars in Junior, a 50 goal scorer in Junior can be a 3rd line plug in the NHL., why, because they have the talent but they don't have what it takes between the ears. I'm sorry but anyone who knows anything about hockey will know this. Unfortunately the only discussion on here is negativity and bashing for the most part. Where does my knowledge come from, 50 years of watching hockey, reading the Hockey News for decades, pouring over stats for decades, it sure doesn't come from here.
and how do you know that ???

once you figured that out...

70% of NHL players have the same skill set, skate the same speed

today I am learning that 70% of NHLers have Paul Byron speed, the guy have average speed actually... right ?? :huh::huh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc McKenna

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Kovalev had a shot from the right circle that was terrifying. He also had skill and the ability to turn it on as a power forward when he was on. He was inconsistent like Drouin but don’t even try to compare the two. Kovalev was in another league putting it litely.
I wasnt comparing the two.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Good first game by Drouin. What he can do when the switch is on. Incredible vision. If only Armia could hit the freaking net lol

Lets see if he turns the switch off now. What we want is consistence, one gamr at a time. I can easily see him be a 80 points guy if he plays all season like this.

Reactions: dralaf

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm not short changing Drouin, I agree, he was drafted 3rd ov because he had superstar level skills. Just terrific vision and playmaking abilities. He's just never really been able to put it together, he still tries to play way too much like he did in juniors. He hasn't developed his game well enough.

No not saying you were. Just pointing out some who do. I get getting pissed at him for his inconsistency but the ones who think putting his name in the same sentence as Kovy is some kind of blasphemy is a little rich.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
so what happened with him? Plan was for him to be so lazy in the preseason so the media would put the pressure on, so he would start skating and working hard? Cause that's not the same player we saw would be an euphenism. Anyway we'll take it for the time it will last, but I'm pleased thus far.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
another solid game. His goal was a bit lucky but was a beauty pass to Byron. Thought we were done for at that point but him and Domi started that comeback. Lots of good backchecking. Was even physical. His penalty I thought he was doing some good battling in front of the net.

I saw one or two borderline iffy plays but nothing maddeningly stupid which is huge. Hell even if he's not skating as hard as he did tonight, I'd just be happy to not have the brain dead passes. Keep those to a minimum and he's a net positive for this team.

But man it would be awesome if we can get this Drouin even 70% of the time. Would be truly amazing if he turned a corner. Still way too early to say obviously but great start for him.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I've never seen Drouin like this. Looks like he takes the game way more seriously, looks closer to the group, happier when the team scores. I don't know, just his body language is different. Let's hope it will stay because if it does, he'll be perfect for Domi.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's likely not realistic to expct this every game, but if he can do it more often than not, he'll be the guy we traded for. He looked like a superstar tonight.
Heck if he can do this every 3 game hed be a PPG lord. Honestly Ive been following him since 2012 and even in juniors he wasnt playing like that, mainly cause he didnt have to.

Maybe he just got over his juniors game.

Reactions: Doublelift

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I've never seen Drouin like this. Looks like he takes the game way more seriously, looks closer to the group, happier when the team scores. I don't know, just his body language is different. Let's hope it will stay because if it does, he'll be perfect for Domi.

Drouin-Domi-Weal

Byron won't be able to play with them when it becomes more of a cycle game.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Drouin is playing miles better right than he ever has in his career with the habs, that includes last season when he had 9pts in 3 games or wtv it was.

I don't know he was insane in that stretch but he's playing a more complete game now. Not shying away from contact and hustling and actually doing well defensively. Just hope he can do this more often than not. Great start for him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Did everyone hear the story on TVA during the game that Drouin bought Suzuki's other family members tickets, because his complementary allotment wasn't enough for everyone and ticket prices for tonight's game were insane.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Who saw his bodycheck attempt? He went through out the bench tho. But he kept pushing after that lol moment. Well tried. I give the credit when he deserves it. Intense like I’m cheering off.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't know how he'll fare over the full 82 games but i distinctly recall some reading his body language that he wanted out just a week ago.

Shows how we over analyze things. I'm sure some will over analyze his current start as well. He'll have bad games again, hopefully he's even keel.

Reactions: Vachon23 and 417
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad