Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I would be hesitant to start projecting him as a top 6 forward. Yes he scored 46 goals, but his performance away from Suzuki dropped fairly significantly. I think he's someone who's probably a middle-6er as a ceiling, or who could end up being a decent 4th line winger. Most likely ends up being a solid 3rd line winger with some scoring pop (which I stated on Saturday).

Ya. Let's not forget that this is also considered a weak draft. I mentioned this concern before, often times in a weak draft a player that is rated highly and put up solid numbers don't end up being the NHL player projected of them at draft time. If you knocked them down a peg in terms of projection they look a lot better and more accurate in terms of how players that have developed turned out.

Even with Lind. He looks more like a 15 goal 30+ point 3rd line type than a top 6 contributor. In today's game it's not a huge deal, and realistically getting an NHL player out of a 2nd round pick ends up being a good pick in the long run period (unless you pass by a fan favourite selection who ends up being a star then you will never hear the end of it).

Anyways with Gadjovich, I think this is a medium risk pick. He has good enough size and strength and the compete level that should allow him to play a bottom 6 role if he improves his skating a tad. Then again, he didn't have a good playoffs and a lot of times these type of players don't end up making it because their skating isn't good enough and the rest of his game just isn't at a high enough level.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
What I like about Gadjovich is his ability to get deflections and control / bang in rebounds. He has really soft hands, particularly in tight to the crease. These are skills that easily translate to the NHL.

Unless he improves his skating and defensive play he may not be an all situation top 6 winger, but there is room for his skill set, particularly on the PP.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I just thought of another reason to like this pick at work today. I haven't seen him play, but I've seen Rasmussen play and they seem pretty similar in terms of style. Rasmussen went at 9. We got the high-end skill guy with a good ceiling at our 5 pick, and this guy at 55. I would have been OK with Rasmussen at the 20 range. I don't get to say it often, but this was a good job by our scouting crew.

And to the caller I heard on 1040 today bemoaning that we should have drafted Rasmussen at 5 because he's the kinda guy you want in the playoffs... Get a clue.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
He's the kind of player I wanted to have on the team that we missed out on with Tkachuk. He may not have the hockey IQ or talent, but he's willing to play hard in the tough areas and has shown he can score in those areas. I'm very happy with the pick

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's the kind of player I wanted to have on the team that we missed out on with Tkachuk. He may not have the hockey IQ or talent, but he's willing to play hard in the tough areas and has shown he can score in those areas. I'm very happy with the pick

He has the talen, 46 goals in your draft year is incredible.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
As someone who is sky high on Suzuki, I feel like those goal totals were inflated by playing on his wing.

I will agree. I think as Nucks fans we know sometimes you can find a fit with skill guys and play above where u should.

Godjovich was able to use his skills by playing off of Suzuki. Im hoping he can do this with Pettersson. I think his game would blend well, he goes into the corners and in front of the net.

If he can can be Burrows or Morrison type guy for us great. Nice 3rd liner be great to

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Suzuki will be back next year anyway I assume. Hopefully Gadjovich can pick up a thing or two.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
As someone who is sky high on Suzuki, I feel like those goal totals were inflated by playing on his wing.

Yup and also Palmu but you draft a Gadjovich to be a 3rd/4th line 10-15 goal grinder.

When I think of the Hawks they had years of drafting guys like Gadjovich before Kane/Toews.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yup and also Palmu but you draft a Gadjovich to be a 3rd/4th line 10-15 goal grinder.

When I think of the Hawks they had years of drafting guys like Gadjovich before Kane/Toews.

Examples? I don't remember the Blackhawks drafting guys with Gadjovich's goal totals in their draft year in the second round or after.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Examples? I don't remember the Blackhawks drafting guys with Gadjovich's goal totals in their draft year in the second round or after.

Bolland had 37
Byfuglien was a d-man but had 9 goals in 48 games in PG
Bickell had 20
Brouwer had 23
Burish had 23 in the USHL

The Hawks had a stream of these big rough forwards they would take in the later rounds.

Generally after taking d-men or garbage. Then they hit Kane and Toews, traded Ruutu for Ladd and Ellison for Sharp.

Part of it is that the Hawks have had so many picks in the last 15 years they just play the %. When the Hawks drafted Saad they had 3 first round picks Before drafting Saad and that was a year removed from the Hawks winning the cup.

Canucks need to build a foundation for when they hit a couple guys with top end talent. Getting better but need to fix the D.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Bolland had 37
Bickell had 20
Brouwer had 23

The Hawks had a stream of these big rough forwards they would take in the later rounds.

I see. So you're saying this is the way to go?

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
I will agree. I think as Nucks fans we know sometimes you can find a fit with skill guys and play above where u should.

Godjovich was able to use his skills by playing off of Suzuki. Im hoping he can do this with Pettersson. I think his game would blend well, he goes into the corners and in front of the net.

If he can can be Burrows or Morrison type guy for us great. Nice 3rd liner be great to

Morrison was a 5 ft 8 , 170 lb playmaking centre. Gadjovich is a 6 ft 2 ,210 power forward who plays the wing. They are nothing alike.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I understand the concerns about Suzuki giving an artificial bump to Gadjovich's point production, but I think Gadjovich's game mitigates some of those concerns. He scores a lot of his goals right in front of the net, which is hopefully a skill that will translate well over to the NHL.

Just like Gadjovich benefited from playing with Suzuki, he will probably need to play with skilled players in the NHL to have success. I don't think you want to play him with Michael Chaput and Jack Skille on the 4th line, you need to play him with skilled players that drive the play and can utilize the space Gadjovich creates on the ice. If he continues along his current development path, he could be a decent, big bodied option with a knack for scoring goals in front of the net. Hopefully he can also develop into a credible net presence on the power play, been a long time since the Canucks have had one of those.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I see. So you're saying this is the way to go?

Partially.

I think it's important to have a foundation of other guys to fill roles for when you get your superstars.

Obviously they need the superstars too at some point, but having Horvat, Gaunce, Gadjovich, etc to play roles will be incredibly useful.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Bolland had 37
Bickell had 20
Brouwer had 23

Generally after taking d-men or garbage. Then they hit Kane and Toews, traded Ruutu for Ladd and Ellison for Sharp.

Part of it is that the Hawks have had so many picks in the last 15 years they just play the %. When the Hawks drafted Saad they had 3 first round picks Before drafting Saad and that was a year removed from the Hawks winning the cup.

Canucks need to build a foundation for when they hit a couple guys with top end talent. Getting better but need to fix the D.

Yeah, but Gadjovich's name starts with a 'G' and not a 'B', so it's totally different.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
let's see if Gadjovich can improve his skating over the summer. That will be the real test on whether he can take it to the next level. He's got a nose for the net for sure.

His point totals in the playoffs weren't too impressive. Does anybody know why that's the case? Did they take him off of Suzuki's line?

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Morrison was a 5 ft 8 , 170 lb playmaking centre. Gadjovich is a 6 ft 2 ,210 power forward who plays the wing. They are nothing alike.

He was also a guy who played on are top line for along time. He was not first line talent but could blend his skills to fit in with top line talent.

He was also not 5'8 170 he was 5'11 and 185.

unknown

Oct 7, 2006
vancouver
Gadjovich's game mitigates some of those concerns. He scores a lot of his goals right in front of the net, which is hopefully a skill that will translate well over to the NHL.

Watching his goals I don't see a lot of Suzuki just banking pucks in off of him, he works hard around the net, has quick hands and pretty good hand eye. Maybe like a Johan Franzen type? In the right situation maybe he hits 30 goals as the net front presence on the 1st pp. Id be pretty happy if he played a heavy game and put up Killorn type numbers regularly.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I really think the best comparable was mentioned earlier in the thread, Patrick Maroon with a hopefully quicker trajectory. I see a 35-50 pt fwd as his upside.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I really think the best comparable was mentioned earlier in the thread, Patrick Maroon with a hopefully quicker trajectory. I see a 35-50 pt fwd as his upside.

That would be an absolute home run if he turned out like that. That's a very reasonable projection.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So since this guy is so mature and phyhsically big already is he closer to NHL ready then any other prospects in 2017 draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad