Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Like most others, really like this pick.

Power forwards are incredibly tough to project, but I'm always a fan of picking one that is already fairly polished like this and have produced.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Thanks Torts!!

Genuinely asking; does anyone have concerns that too much of his production was as a result of being a man against boys? Obviously he's not literally a man and will likely still get bigger, but most NHL defenseman aren't Juolevi sized like in that gif.

At the same time, from that highlight package it does seem like he scores in multiple different ways, which is a good sign of sustainability of production moving up levels. Definitely seems like a promising pick, especially since unlike Virtanen his biggest issue is one that can actually be fixed.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Thanks Torts!!

Genuinely asking; does anyone have concerns that too much of his production was as a result of being a man against boys? Obviously he's not literally a man and will likely still get bigger, but most NHL defenseman aren't Juolevi sized like in that gif.

At the same time, from that highlight package it does seem like he scores in multiple different ways, which is a good sign of sustainability of production moving up levels. Definitely seems like a promising pick, especially since unlike Virtanen his biggest issue is one that can actually be fixed.

Sure but every player faces that challenge. Suzuki is only "sorta small" against CHlers but will be "quite undersized" against NHL players. They all face the challenge of applying their game against bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter players. Gadjovich is no exception but he seems to have legit power in his 6'1 frame and I can see him being a handful even at the next level. Sure he isn't likely to dominate to the tune of 46 goals in 60 games - no one can - but he could be productive at a 15-20 goal level in time and with natural growth and improvements to his game.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Is it just me or does he remind anyone else of a young Brooks Laich? That would be a very good outcome from a late 2nd round pick.

Wouldn't be shocked if he carved out a nice career for himself. I suspect he will be the type that has a short peak (23-28) and falls off around the age of 30.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thanks Torts!!

From what I've seen, this kid is deadly from six feet in front with tips and rebounds....and those are the same kind of goals that the NHL features these days....46 goals led the OHL in terms of draft-eligible players, so he obviously has the finesse......and draft-watchers report that his skating improved considerably from the start of the year.

Given the Canucks black-hole on the left side, he's my early pick to beat most of the recent drafts into the VanCity lineup.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I would be hesitant to start projecting him as a top 6 forward. Yes he scored 46 goals, but his performance away from Suzuki dropped fairly significantly. I think he's someone who's probably a middle-6er as a ceiling, or who could end up being a decent 4th line winger. Most likely ends up being a solid 3rd line winger with some scoring pop (which I stated on Saturday).

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I would be hesitant to start projecting him as a top 6 forward. Yes he scored 46 goals, but his performance away from Suzuki dropped fairly significantly. I think he's someone who's probably a middle-6er as a ceiling, or who could end up being a decent 4th line winger. Most likely ends up being a solid 3rd line winger with some scoring pop (which I stated on Saturday).

I'd say his realistic ceiling is whatever you consider Patrick Maroon to be. I wouldn't say he has quite as much bite as Maroon though.

Slow, big, bodyguard-type who is great at getting to those dirty areas and finishing up -- works well with elite playmaking centers.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Sure but every player faces that challenge. Suzuki is only "sorta small" against CHlers but will be "quite undersized" against NHL players. They all face the challenge of applying their game against bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter players. Gadjovich is no exception but he seems to have legit power in his 6'1 frame and I can see him being a handful even at the next level. Sure he isn't likely to dominate to the tune of 46 goals in 60 games - no one can - but he could be productive at a 15-20 goal level in time and with natural growth and improvements to his game.

Fair enough. At the same time, there is a difference between a player who has size to their advantage but plays a transferable style (Horvat) vs. one who was able to essentially bully their way through junior hockey (Gudbranson...)

stax

Feb 28, 2016
Why do I feel that people are heaping praise onto this kid strictly because of his facial hair?

I just watched his highlight package.

Looks to be OK for a 2/3 rounder. Nothing to get overly excited about, IMO.

Temper those emotions boys.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
OHL_2016-17_6828_goal_heatmap.png

OHL_2016-17_6828_shot_heatmap.png

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Fair enough. At the same time, there is a difference between a player who has size to their advantage but plays a transferable style (Horvat) vs. one who was able to essentially bully their way through junior hockey (Gudbranson...)

Ya I don't really disagree with you and that's where Gadjovich will need to shore up the weaker elements of his game to account for the 'levelling' of his physical advantages. Just like Bo couldn't get away with being a 'mediocre' skater at the next level, neither can Gadjovich unless he is able to get his size and strength to a similarly dominating level against NHL players (which at 6'1 I don't know if he can get to that Lucic level). But he's gonna be a handful for even NHL defensemen down the line.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
The good news is, in my opinion, is that he has a very high ceiling. His game is extremely transferable to the NHL. This is the type of player that the Ducks often target: a heavy game down low. He seems very determined at his skating, so we just have to cross our fingers that it comes together.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
3rd liner would be great. I feel his game can have him play in the top six if needed, if he gels with a center. Having a guy good in the corner and in front of the net creating space for skill i can see working

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Can't remember if it was on this board, or during the draft special, but someone said Troy Brouwer as an upside. That sounds pretty good.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
While I like the pick, his mature/impressive interview is neither here nor there.

I can still remember a 1995 4th rounder named Lloyd Shaw being interviewed on Dan Russell's show - with Brook Ward hosting - and giving a terrific, mature, funny interview, and Ward absolutely gushing over him after it ended, claiming that if he could play as well as he interviewed, Vancouver must have got a steal here!

Lloyd Shaw obviously sucked, quite a lot.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The great position the Canucks are in with Gadjovich is a position they were not in with Virtanen; Gadjovich can play out the rest of his junior career and simmer in the minors without anyone calling him a bust. I see no reason why Gadjovich shouldn't play another two years in the OHL until he is ready for pro. The Canucks are rich with potential top-9 forwards now with time to spare.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The great position the Canucks are in with Gadjovich is a position they were not in with Virtanen; Gadjovich can play out the rest of his junior career and simmer in the minors without anyone calling him a bust. I see no reason why Gadjovich shouldn't play another two years in the OHL until he is ready for pro. The Canucks are rich with potential top-9 forwards now with time to spare.

He's a '98 so he should absolutely be in Utica in 18-19. 2nd rounders playing their overage season is basically unheard-of.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park

.....on a great team with a great coach. Owen Sound is going to contend for the mem cup next year.

CS95

Oct 11, 2016

A realistic projection. Getting a solid middle sixer with size and some skill around the net would be great value for a late second round pick in what is considered a weak draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad