In Memoriam Johnny & Matthew Gaudreau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
It’s not just the drunk driving here. It’s the road rage and the reckless driving. It’s the fact that he’d gotten a DWI in the past but got off bc the cop failed to show up to court. It’s how he deep sighed when. The judge told him he was spending the holiday weekend behind bars. He was more upset that he couldn’t enjoy the long weekend than he was that he murdered the Gaudreau’s. They never had a f***ing chance because that coward hit them from behind.

Throw the book at him.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
This tragedy has been difficult to process, mainly because I can't get the "It could've been me," out of my head.

In physical stature, I could be Johnny's doppelganger. That pic his wife posted of him on the golf course? We could easily trade clothes.

But more so because I used to be an avid cyclist. I got rid of my last car in 2014, and get around on my bike.

However, I no longer go for long rides, and this tragedy is the reason why.

Most drivers are respectful; but it only takes one. And I've had numerous near-catastrophes, all because of aggressive drivers.

I actually feel like Higgins is using his drunkenness as a copout. This was impatience/ego leading to aggressive driving. In other words, he was driving like an idiot, and even if sober, I believe he'd have done the same.

Drunk driving and bike safety are important issues. But to me, the bigger issue is road rage/aggressive drivers.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
This tragedy has been difficult to process, mainly because I can't get the "It could've been me," out of my head.

In physical stature, I could be Johnny's doppelganger. That pic his wife posted of him on the golf course? We could easily trade clothes.

But more so because I used to be an avid cyclist. I got rid of my last car in 2014, and get around on my bike.

However, I no longer go for long rides, and this tragedy is the reason why.

Most drivers are respectful; but it only takes one. And I've had numerous near-catastrophes, all because of aggressive drivers.

I actually feel like Higgins is using his drunkenness as a copout. This was impatience/ego leading to aggressive driving. In other words, he was driving like an idiot, and even if sober, I believe he'd have done the same.

Drunk driving and bike safety are important issues. But to me, the bigger issue is road rage/aggressive drivers.

This is very true.

You don’t pull moves like that “because you’re drunk”. You’re that type of driver period. We’ve all seen the needle dicks that pop up every now and then on the roads acting like egotistical circus clowns at the expense of everyone else around.

Dare I say that dude fits the stereotype (in demeanor and appearance) to a T.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I guess I someone has to be devil's advocate. I know everyone is justifiably furious with Higgins and wants him locked away for life, but even within the hockey community we've seen people turn their lives around from similar things. Craig MacTavish killed a lady drunk driving, served one year, then continued out a long career both playing and in management. Dany Heatley didn't serve a single day for the accident that killed Dan Snyder. Rob Ramage was sentenced to four years for the accident that killed Keith Magnusson but it was suspended and most of it was under day parole at a halfway house.

Then there's a ton of hockey players who were caught driving under the influence and thankfully managed to not hurt anyone in the process. Ray Bourque blew three times the legal limit after he rear-ended someone, and he only got a 45-day license revocation. Monty got a DUI during his drinking days, but the narrative on him is how inspirational he is for turning his life around and staying in recovery. So I guess in the end let's not hang this Sean Higgins guy just yet, people are capable of turning it around.

MacTavish is a notable case - he did kill someone through his bad decision, and that can never be taken back. But he's not only served his time, he established a relationship with the woman's family and earned their forgiveness. So time will tell how things turn out with Higgins and the Gaudreaus.

The difference between all the drunk driving crimes you just mentioned, especially in the cases of Heatley and MacTavish, and Higgins is that Higgins has a laundry list of previous driving offenses dating back to 2003, as well as two previous citations for drunk driving arrests. One in New Jersey 2013 and one in North Carolina as far back as 2005. He clearly either didn't learn his lesson or thought he was above it since he's a Major in the New Jersey National Guard. On top of that, he works in a section of the National Guard that is supposed to help people with substance abuse. A position I'm sure has nothing to do with his previous history and not the National Guard trying to do a saving face maneuver with a high ranking officer. Surely not. :sarcasm:

So no, f*** this asshole. He can't learn how to drive a car without booze cruising, he can learn how to count notches in his cell wall while he lives with the fact that he killed two people due to his recklessness.

Last edited:

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
A Phila friend just posted this.
IMG_6298.jpeg

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The family allowed a live stream of the funeral, but now people are posting video online of his parents following the casket out and really struggling. At least give them some kind of privacy in that moment, people. Nobody needs clicks and likes that bad.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
The funeral was extremely difficult to watch. The depth of this tragedy really hit home seeing the grieving family, as well as the caskets for Matthew and Johnny.

I didn't click on videos showing their father, Guy, but saw him during the live stream. Again, just very difficult to watch, and to comprehend this.

Sean Monahan was absolutely devastated, and was with both parents.

The support from the NHL was impressive, including Gary Bettman.

The wives exhibited incredible strength during their eulogies.

This whole situation is unimaginable.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The funeral was extremely difficult to watch. The depth of this tragedy really hit home seeing the grieving family, as well as the caskets for Matthew and Johnny.

I didn't click on videos showing their father, Guy, but saw him during the live stream. Again, just very difficult to watch, and to comprehend this.

Sean Monahan was absolutely devastated, and was with both parents.

The support from the NHL was impressive, including Gary Bettman.

The wives exhibited incredible strength during their eulogies.

This whole situation is unimaginable.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX

I'm glad they posted it. I saw the second part live on the Calgary Flames' site.

I have a close friend in Philly who doesn't watch sports. She asked me about it, as the tragedy has received lots of local press.

She lives in Center City, and she asked about bike safety, as the city has tried to become more bike-friendly (of course this happened well outside the city). I expressed my thoughts I shared here after it happened - that this had little to do with bike safety, and more to do with reckless/aggressive driving, made worse by alcohol.

I do not want to know the details of this horrific event, and completely respect the family's privacy. Though Johnny's wife mentioned in her eulogy that Johnny and Matthew did not suffer. She said they likely just picked up whatever conversation they were having in Heaven.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The driver, 43-year-old Sean M. Higgins of nearby Woodstown, New Jersey, is charged with two counts of death by auto, along with reckless driving, possession of an open container and consuming alcohol in a motor vehicle. At a virtual court hearing Friday, a judge ordered that he be held for trial after prosecutors described a history of alleged road rage and aggressive driving.

"'You were probably driving like a nut like I always tell you you do. And you don't listen to me, instead you just yell at me,'" his wife told Higgins when he called her from jail after his arrest, according to First Assistant Prosecutor Jonathan Flynn of Salem County.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

The driver, 43-year-old Sean M. Higgins of nearby Woodstown, New Jersey, is charged with two counts of death by auto, along with reckless driving, possession of an open container and consuming alcohol in a motor vehicle. At a virtual court hearing Friday, a judge ordered that he be held for trial after prosecutors described a history of alleged road rage and aggressive driving.

"'You were probably driving like a nut like I always tell you you do. And you don't listen to me, instead you just yell at me,'" his wife told Higgins when he called her from jail after his arrest, according to First Assistant Prosecutor Jonathan Flynn of Salem County.
Scary thing is, there are a lot of people on the road just like him these days

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Iraq war veteran accused of killing Columbus Blue Jackets’ star Johnny Gaudreau and his younger brother in a drunk driving accident last month broke down in tears when he was denied bail Friday morning – as prosecutors revealed his history of road rage and drinking issues.

Sean Higgins, 43, became visibly upset when Judge Michael Silvanio ordered him to remain in jail until his trial.

Higgins, who appeared at the hearing virtually in jail-issued green clothing, was seen wiping away tears at multiple points in the proceedings, including when his attorneys defended him before the court.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad