In Memoriam Johnny & Matthew Gaudreau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So this is about Johnny Gaudreau, a magical little player who hockey first knew about, in lights, when he was a star at Boston College playing so much bigger than he really was. And the only way to describe what he could do with a puck on his stick is to use as much of a BC reference as there is in this world: On the ice Gaudreau was another athlete who was supposed to be too small to be as great as he was. That athlete, of course, is Doug Flutie. Johnny Gaudreau even had one of the best nicknames you will ever hear, a nickname as cool as he always was on the ice:

He was Johnny Hockey.

Only now he is gone at the age of 31 because he and his brother Matthew, once his teammate at BC, were mowed down by an alleged drunk driver on County Road 551 in south Jersey about 8:30 on Thursday night, the night before Johnny and Matthew were supposed to be groomsmen at their sister Katie’s wedding. There is only lousy timing, terrible timing, when a tragedy like this literally runs over a whole family the way this one did Thursday night. But the timing of this, before their sister’s wedding, even made this particular tragedy more gutting, and more unimaginable.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Same here, I don't know why it's hitting so hard when it's people I've never met, but as you say, all the emotional angles are a lot to take in. And none of us are promised tomorrow.

Sorry about your brother :(
I know it is hitting me hard because it is a jarring reminder that this could happen to me or someone I know and love.

Johnny and Matthew were by all accounts just normal guys who loved their family, friends and hockey. They were able to take their love of the game and parlay it into careers. They showed everyone that anything is possible if you work hard and never give up on a goal. Bottom line is that the Gaudreau brothers were relatable to everyone and they were just good humans.

It is all so senseless and 100% preventable had the trash behind the wheel not been selfish and self serving.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Pretty somber around Calgary today. Still a lot of disbelief. Haven’t made it down to the Saddledome myself, but there is a growing memorial outside the arena, just like in Columbus. Last I’d heard there were still people coming by in the hundreds to pay their respects.

From a hockey standpoint, it’s hard to explain to someone who doesn’t live here what a beacon of light he was for a team that was at some of the lowest depths it had gone as a franchise, a team that had wandered the wilderness for too long. For the Flames, he left as one of the true franchise greats. If not a team Mount Rushmore level of talent, then a step below. For the fans, their hearts are broken again.

Obviously this goes beyond hockey. Families are shattered and communities are in mourning. My community is in mourning. It’s a smaller city and the Flames are the only show in town and he was the face of it for a decade- you feel almost like you knew him here… I mean even his dad was a celebrity about town so. This has been a very sad day for me personally and a lot of people here.

This is so unfair and so very very sad. Heart wrenchingly cruel. I feel awful for his family.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I hope I don’t misword my post but even someone 100% sober who pulls a ridiculous driving stunt like that deserves decades in prison and the same punishment if they kill cyclists.

But yeah if this POS didn’t drink and drive or was in an Uber this doesn’t happen.

I got my bicycle tuned last winter and have riden it twice. And when I do it’s only on the sidewalk. Simply too scared of cars same reason I’ll never get on a motorcycle.
I ride my bike to work regularly when I hear a car coming from behind I head for the sidewalk. Luckily, I could stay on the sidewalk the entire way . I love cycling but I do not trust ANY vehicle.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I lost my older brother when he was 26. For me, aside from the initial grief, the hardest part about losing someone young is that once time passes you begin to think about what could have been. All the possible life outcomes and memories lost out on. In ways it gets easier with time but in a lot of other ways it only gets worse.

I really really feel for their family, and for what they will have to endure not only in the immediate future but for the rest of their lives. I wish them strength and am hopeful that everyone affected by this will get the support that they need. Will be rooting for CBJ this year whenever I see them play.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I know it is hitting me hard because it is a jarring reminder that this could happen to me or someone I know and love.

Johnny and Matthew were by all accounts just normal guys who loved their family, friends and hockey. They were able to take their love of the game and parlay it into careers. They showed everyone that anything is possible if you work hard and never give up on a goal. Bottom line is that the Gaudreau brothers were relatable to everyone and they were just good humans.

It is all so senseless and 100% preventable had the trash behind the wheel not been selfish and self serving.
The punishment needs to be more severe,and I mean even for just getting caught drinking and driving it’s more than when I was younger I think it was losing your license for 24 hours and having to find another way home.But still has a long ways to go to make more people think twice about doing it.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The punishment needs to be more severe,and I mean even for just getting caught drinking and driving it’s more than when I was younger I think it was losing your license for 24 hours and having to find another way home.But still has a long ways to go to make more people think twice about doing it.
I agree 100%

I read earlier that the guy had been arrested for DWI in 2005 but got off because the cop that arrested him never showed up to court

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

• Wow
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
that just makes it worse. that a guy working for a substance abuse treatment centre was drinking and driving.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
that just makes it worse. that a guy working for a substance abuse treatment centre was drinking and driving.

Mind boggling

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I agree 100%

I read earlier that the guy had been arrested for DWI in 2005 but got off because the cop that arrested him never showed up to court
That sucks who knows if he had been charged,maybe he would have thought differently this time ,doubt it but never know.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

Mind boggling
Don’t give two shits. As far as I am concerned, he’s a murderer who has torn a family apart by being a selfish prick.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Don’t give two shits. As far as I am concerned, he’s a murderer who has torn a family apart by being a selfish prick.
Yeah, I agree. He has two kids, he should've thought about them, before doing anything as stupid as he did!

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Exactly. I cannot stand when people try to humanize people like him. Is that supposed to make this somehow any better?

No, it doesn't make it any better. But understanding is important, otherwise there is no learning. Very few people are outright evil, very few would think themselves to be such even if they were. What led this guy to get behind the wheel in such a state, and to act as he did on the road? What's his background, upbringing, psychological disposition? Is there anything that could have stopped a person like him choosing to drive drunk? Has he done it before, and how often?

It's easy to simply say "don't drink and drive, it's incredibly stupid". Most people, probably including this guy, would agree, at least when they're sober and rational. But lots still do it anyway. If we can learn and do better and reduce the instances of drink driving even by, say, 5%, that's a result that will save lives.

I don't think we have to give this conduct any sort of grace or 'benefit of the doubt' - the driver's going to deserve whatever punishment comes his way and then some - but we can't just dismiss it either. That doesn't achieve anything.

Reactions: Guelph Bruin

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Reactions: Ladyfan

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No, it doesn't make it any better. But understanding is important, otherwise there is no learning. Very few people are outright evil, very few would think themselves to be such even if they were. What led this guy to get behind the wheel in such a state, and to act as he did on the road? What's his background, upbringing, psychological disposition? Is there anything that could have stopped a person like him choosing to drive drunk? Has he done it before, and how often?

It's easy to simply say "don't drink and drive, it's incredibly stupid". Most people, probably including this guy, would agree, at least when they're sober and rational. But lots still do it anyway. If we can learn and do better and reduce the instances of drink driving even by, say, 5%, that's a result that will save lives.

I don't think we have to give this conduct any sort of grace or 'benefit of the doubt' - the driver's going to deserve whatever punishment comes his way and then some - but we can't just dismiss it either. That doesn't achieve anything.
@Aussie Bruin

I talked to an old friend who has been a defense attorney in Philly and South Jersey for decades. He said that Higgins is facing two counts of second-degree vehicular homicide each carrying a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

He said the Gaudreau family is considered royalty in Salem County, and going to trial would be futile with the passing on the right. His guess is that it will be a plea, and he will get 10 years with 5 to serve, which winds up being 3 1/2 years.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin

I talked to an old friend who has been a defense attorney in Philly and South Jersey for decades. He said that Higgins is facing two counts of second-degree vehicular homicide each carrying a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

He said the Gaudreau family is considered royalty in Salem County, and going to trial would be futile with the passing on the right. His guess is that it will be a plea, and he will get 10 years with 5 to serve, which winds up being 3 1/2 years.

Out in under 5 would be nowhere near enough, but it wouldn't shock me unfortunately. End of the day though, no matter what the sentence is, nothing is bringing those poor boys back. Some things are beyond any sort of repair or restitution.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
The bottom line is that 2 families are shattered.

Alot more than two families shattered, it goes deeper than that, alot deeper!
Higgins can rot in hell, for the damage he caused!. His stupidity will haunt him for the rest of his life, the Gaudreau family will never see Johnny or Matthew ever again!
About 45 yrs ago, my own life was very close to being ended by a drunk driver, I was lucky to get out of it alive!

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad