In Memoriam Johnny & Matthew Gaudreau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
@Aussie Bruin

I talked to an old friend who has been a defense attorney in Philly and South Jersey for decades. He said that Higgins is facing two counts of second-degree vehicular homicide each carrying a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

He said the Gaudreau family is considered royalty in Salem County, and going to trial would be futile with the passing on the right. His guess is that it will be a plea, and he will get 10 years with 5 to serve, which winds up being 3 1/2 years.
Bullshit. Throw the book at this piece of shit and make him serve all 20 years. Absolute garbage to allow him to plead out. I hope the family refuses to accept it. He’s a monster and deserves to spend the maximum sentence under the law in prison.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
There are some things that you just don't wish on people, even your own worst enemies. In this case I find it very hard not to wish them on this guy

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Every time there’s been a moment this weekend where things have quieted down (kids are both settled) these two have re-entered my mind.. like everyone else I hate that this happened.

Not to make this about me AT ALL, but I think this has hit harder than most usually do because of certain things.. Johnny turned 31 four days before I did in August. He has a young daughter and a son- so do I and in that order as well. Coincidental but when you’re able to draw similarities like this it just really puts things into prospective.

Being a shorter guy, it was easy to cheer for Johnny hockey and not just cause of his Boston connection alone. The guy was an idol for a lot ot us short kings out there.

I hope everyone has/had a great weekend. Be sure to sneak in an extra hug or “I love you” to your loved ones for the Gaudreau boys.

All my love to their families and close friends.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Every time there’s been a moment this weekend where things have quieted down (kids are both settled) these two have re-entered my mind.. like everyone else I hate that this happened.

Not to make this about me AT ALL, but I think this has hit harder than most usually do because of certain things.. Johnny turned 31 four days before I did in August. He has a young daughter and a son- so do I and in that order as well. Coincidental but when you’re able to draw similarities like this it just really puts things into prospective.

Being a shorter guy, it was easy to route for Johnny hockey and not just cause of his Boston connection alone. The guy was an idol for a lot ot us short kings out there.

I hope everyone has/had a great weekend. Be sure to sneak in an extra hug or “I love you” to your loved ones for the Gaudreau boys.

All my love to their families and close friends.

It’s so heartbreaking for me I cant bear to read anymore of it. I just can’t.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Total nightmare. So horrifically sad. I saw and read the article about the ***** who killed them. Drunk, in a hurry so he tried passing the car in front of him on the right side when the car in front was giving the brothers room so he swung left and the POS went right and hit them.
He "let out a sigh" when he heard that he may not be able to get out on bail until Thursday. From the sounds of it he didn't seem to have any remorse.
I can't say here what I want to say, just that I pray for their souls and the family healing as best as they can which I don't think they will ever be able to feel happy again. God help them.

Bullshit. Throw the book at this piece of shit and make him serve all 20 years. Absolute garbage to allow him to plead out. I hope the family refuses to accept it. He’s a monster and deserves to spend the maximum sentence under the law in prison.
20 years for EACH brother.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Total nightmare. So horrifically sad. I saw and read the article about the ***** who killed them. Drunk, in a hurry so he tried passing the car in front of him on the right side when the car in front was giving the brothers room so he swung left and the POS went right and hit them.
He "let out a sigh" when he heard that he may not be able to get out on bail until Thursday. From the sounds of it he didn't seem to have any remorse.
I can't say here what I want to say, just that I pray for their souls and the family healing as best as they can which I don't think they will ever be able to feel happy again. God help them.

20 years for EACH brother.
New Jersey law caps it at 10 years for each victim.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This has hit me really hard. I was devastated when I got the notification on Friday and mentioned it to a coworker. We have some construction people in the building that overheard me mention it and one of them said something along the lines of “Who cares? There are kids that die every day that the media doesn’t talk about.”

Instead of saying what I wanted to in that moment, I walked away.

I was out for a run this morning, and I couldn’t help but think about how all it might take is one distracted driver, or the glare of the sun, or a hidden genetic defect and I could be gone in an instant.

I thought about what I’d leave behind. I know my wife and son would be loved and cared for. I thought about what I’ve done with my life so far. Not what I’ve accomplished, but the way I’ve lived my life and treated other people.

I don’t know why Johnny and Matthew had to go. It makes no sense. I don’t know why you and I are here instead and they’re gone. But it’s not my place to know or understand.

The bottom line is, I don’t want to go now, but if I died today I’d have zero regrets. I’m far from perfect, but I’ve tried to make others smile and laugh. I’ve done my best not just to learn knowledge or get a job that makes money, but to make the most of every day and every opportunity to show love through action.

I don’t feel like I’ve held anything back or left any cards unplayed.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Does anyone know what charges this guy will face, and how long he will serve? I saw someone suggest he will be out in 3 1/2 years, but I just can't see that, considering it is the United States. Even in Canada, some drunk drivers serve more time if there are multiple fatalities.

I also heard he could be looking at 10-40 years. I just cannot see him being let out this decade.

Reactions: Gordoff

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Does anyone know what charges this guy will face, and how long he will serve? I saw someone suggest he will be out in 3 1/2 years, but I just can't see that, considering it is the United States. Even in Canada, some drunk drivers serve more time if there are multiple fatalities.

I also heard he could be looking at 10-40 years. I just cannot see him being let out this decade.
Minimum one year, maximum ten years is what I read for vehicle manslaughter in NJ. For two counts he theoretically could serve twenty, but I read a tweet from a lawyer that said he'll plea out on both counts if he has any sense about him and given the history in the jurisdiction they'd likely give him like seven years with good behavior and he'd be released at 3 1/2.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Minimum one year, maximum ten years is what I read for vehicle manslaughter in NJ. For two counts he theoretically could serve twenty, but I read a tweet from a lawyer that said he'll plea out on both counts if he has any sense about him and given the history in the jurisdiction they'd likely give him like seven years with good behavior and he'd be released at 3 1/2.
I have a hard time believing he will only do 3 1/2 years for this. It would absolutely shock me if he does anything less than 10 years.

Edit** found this:

In New Jersey, the severity of your penalties for vehicular manslaughter will vary depending on whether there are aggravating factors. Generally, it is charged as a second-degree indictable crime with a sentence of 5 to 10 years of prison time and up to a $15,000 fine. In most cases, prison sentences must be served without parole, serving three years of special parole after release.

In cases involving driving while under the influence (DUI), the court must impose a minimum prison sentence and a driver’s license suspension of five years to life. Additionally, you will face vehicle forfeiture, meaning the vehicles involved in committing the offense will be seized. If it is deemed as a first-degree offense, you can face between 10-30 years of imprisonment, which must be served without parole, requiring five years of special parole after being released, and a fine of up to $20,000.

Last edited:
Reactions: lopey and Gordoff

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
@Aussie Bruin

I talked to an old friend who has been a defense attorney in Philly and South Jersey for decades. He said that Higgins is facing two counts of second-degree vehicular homicide each carrying a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

He said the Gaudreau family is considered royalty in Salem County, and going to trial would be futile with the passing on the right. His guess is that it will be a plea, and he will get 10 years with 5 to serve, which winds up being 3 1/2 years.

f*** that noise. This piece of trash should be behind bars for 25 years. Kills two people with his car because he can't stop booze cruising. Make this POS understand that decisions have consequences.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

I remember when I was in drivers Ed (2006, woof) the instructor said vehicular manslaughter/homicide while intoxicated was considered premeditated murder, I argued with him from a legal standpoint why that didn’t make sense (even if I thought the act/result was abhorrent) and he kept just saying that was the case.

Over the years I came to believe that and also agreed that it was fine to have such a harsh penalty

Today I learned (because I actually looked it up) that he was full of utter shit, and I’ve never wanted him not to be more.

This POS should never again see the light of day for more than an hour in the yard.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Didnt know turning on NHL id get sad

Attachments

• IMG_3539.jpeg
    IMG_3539.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I guess I someone has to be devil's advocate. I know everyone is justifiably furious with Higgins and wants him locked away for life, but even within the hockey community we've seen people turn their lives around from similar things. Craig MacTavish killed a lady drunk driving, served one year, then continued out a long career both playing and in management. Dany Heatley didn't serve a single day for the accident that killed Dan Snyder. Rob Ramage was sentenced to four years for the accident that killed Keith Magnusson but it was suspended and most of it was under day parole at a halfway house.

Then there's a ton of hockey players who were caught driving under the influence and thankfully managed to not hurt anyone in the process. Ray Bourque blew three times the legal limit after he rear-ended someone, and he only got a 45-day license revocation. Monty got a DUI during his drinking days, but the narrative on him is how inspirational he is for turning his life around and staying in recovery. So I guess in the end let's not hang this Sean Higgins guy just yet, people are capable of turning it around.

MacTavish is a notable case - he did kill someone through his bad decision, and that can never be taken back. But he's not only served his time, he established a relationship with the woman's family and earned their forgiveness. So time will tell how things turn out with Higgins and the Gaudreaus.

Reactions: sooshii

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I guess I someone has to be devil's advocate. I know everyone is justifiably furious with Higgins and wants him locked away for life, but even within the hockey community we've seen people turn their lives around from similar things. Craig MacTavish killed a lady drunk driving, served one year, then continued out a long career both playing and in management. Dany Heatley didn't serve a single day for the accident that killed Dan Snyder. Rob Ramage was sentenced to four years for the accident that killed Keith Magnusson but it was suspended and most of it was under day parole at a halfway house.

Then there's a ton of hockey players who were caught driving under the influence and thankfully managed to not hurt anyone in the process. Ray Bourque blew three times the legal limit after he rear-ended someone, and he only got a 45-day license revocation. Monty got a DUI during his drinking days, but the narrative on him is how inspirational he is for turning his life around and staying in recovery. So I guess in the end let's not hang this Sean Higgins guy just yet, people are capable of turning it around.

MacTavish is a notable case - he did kill someone through his bad decision, and that can never be taken back. But he's not only served his time, he established a relationship with the woman's family and earned their forgiveness. So time will tell how things turn out with Higgins and the Gaudreaus.

He is also military and knows full well how DUI is viewed. Yet allegedly had at least one other incident already in his past. All the signs are there for should have known better and chose not to for reasons known only to himself.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

It's a fair comment. For every instance of a drunk driver causing harm there would be thousands who thankfully do not. In that sense Higgins is the outlier and many many others can count themselves very lucky not to have wound up in a similar situation. What I think makes Higgins' conduct particularly bad are the sheer amount of alcohol he's alleged to have consumed, and his incredibly reckless decision to pass another car on the shoulder of the road. Even for someone inebriated that's such a stupid act, and speaks to some level of impatience, selfishness and entitlement that goes beyond him merely being intoxicated. Those factors should tell against him in the final reckoning but we will see.

Beyond that you're getting into the wider debate of punishment/deterrence vs rehabilitation, forgiveness and second chances in which there are no easy answers.

Reactions: Gordoff

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He is also military and knows full well how DUI is viewed. Yet allegedly had at least one other incident already in his past. All the signs are there for should have known better and chose not to for reasons known only to himself.
He also reportedly worked at a rehab center of some kind. All of that will probably factor into his sentencing. Now, we can't say for sure whether he's a proper alcoholic or not, but if he's had another DUI before then we may want to assume so. But we can't have it both ways on addiction. When Nichushkin went into the player assistance program in the playoffs, the prevailing sentiment was that addiction is a disease, and even if it was the playoffs and the Avs needed him and he should know better, an addict is still an addict. In the same sense, Higgins could be well aware of how bad binge drinking, drinking and driving, etc are, if he's an alcoholic, he's still an alcoholic and dependent on a substance that strongly impairs judgment.

I'm not going to die on the hill of defending him, just trying to pump brakes on the whole "he should burn in hell" sentiments I'm seeing around the hockey community.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad