Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Please tell us exactly how he can get Marner to waive his NMC when he doesn't want to.
He can’t, everyone thinks Marner holds all the leverage, but all it takes is one injury and his power disappears like a fart in the wind, he’s gambling with his future and I hope to zGod Tre isn’t stupid enough to resign mid season………

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Please tell us exactly how he can get Marner to waive his NMC when he doesn't want to.

You should be asking one of the hundreds of competent GM's who got one of their players to waive that question.

I don't work in the NHL. And I don't get paid millions of dollars with an extremely well paid team of advisors to recommend me on what to do. If I were to answer that question in a way that would satisfy you it would mean some random guy who doesn't even work in the industry can do a better job running the team than those entrusted to do so.

I'm flattered you think so highly of me but just because Treliving isn't competent at his job doesn't mean I would be.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
You should be asking one of the hundreds of competent GM's who got one of their players to waive that question.

I don't work in the NHL. And I don't get paid millions of dollars with an extremely well paid team of advisors to recommend me on what to do. If I were to answer that question in a way that would satisfy you it would mean some random guy who doesn't even work in the industry can do a better job running the team than those entrusted to do so.

I'm flattered you think so highly of me but just because Treliving isn't competent at his job doesn't mean I would be.

We gave him NMC like it was no biggie, turned out NMC matters. Who knew?

One has to wonder, how much would it take on top of $11M frontloaded signing bonus heavy RFA contract for Mitch to sign it without NMC.

Kyle?

Reactions: rumman

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles

Unlike other players who waive (most of them from non-playoff teams), Marner wants to stay here.

You're also assuming the Leafs got an acceptable offer. I bet they didn't.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
This is a weird thought I had.

What if, Tre didn't even engage in negotiations whether re-signing or trade?

I wonder how Marner and his agent would react to that?

Like sort of a bluff, but also, yeah you can just walk to UFA, but never even have any discussion about it? Like just not even entertain any negotiation on Tre's end. Let Marner's agent either come and inquire about it, and just sort of give the cold shoulder and not really even engage.

I don't want Marner back at what he's going to get from the Leafs or in UFA.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We gave him NMC like it was no biggie, turned out NMC matters. Who knew?

One has to wonder, how much would it take on top of $11M frontloaded signing bonus heavy RFA contract for Mitch to sign it without NMC.

Kyle?
All 3 fought for and got every cent, bonus money, NM, but when push comes to shove they are afraid to take a hit to make a play and are 1 and f***ing 8 in 9 playoff series. It is why I wanted them broken up and could not care less which one is moved first. Hell I was thinking, what would Waddell pay for Matthews?

Still say that the Leafs will never win a SC with these 3 clowns making all the money and leading the team. Sorry Tre, adding two old broken down dmen isn't gonna change much. Call me May 1, 2025.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

So you are positive it can be done, but you have no idea how?

Suggesting that the problem is the GM who can't (or maybe doesn't want to) move the immovable, rather than the GM who created the problem, isn't really an answer.

To be fair, several other posters have said he should be moved, but when asked how, have either not responded or made irrational suggestions like "bench him until he waives".

Reactions: Sundinisagod

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
All 3 fought for and got every cent, bonus money, NM, but when push comes to shove they are afraid to take a hit to make a play and are 1 and f***ing 8 in 9 playoff series. It is why I wanted them broken up and could not care less which one is moved first. Hell I was thinking, what would Waddell pay for Matthews?

Still say that the Leafs will never win a SC with these 3 clowns making all the money and leading the team. Sorry Tre, adding two old broken down dmen isn't gonna change much. Call me May 1, 2025.
I'm not sure which of the four are included in your "all 3".

Of the four (Matthews, Nylander, Marner, and Tavares), Tre has signed the two best, and can't really do much about the other two until next summer.

If after next summer either or both are still Leafs (unless JT is on a much smaller contract) I'll join you in calling Tre names.

Until then I'll root for the best from anyone playing for the Leafs.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm not sure which of the four are included in your "all 3".

Of the four (Matthews, Nylander, Marner, and Tavares), Tre has signed the two best, and can't really do much about the other two until next summer.

If after next summer either or both are still Leafs (unless JT is on a much smaller contract) I'll join you in calling Tre names.

Until then I'll root for the best from anyone playing for the Leafs.
I did not count Tavares because he was a UFA and he wanted to come home. Even then, Dumbass overpaid him which set the wheels in motion to f*** up the cap. Then after going 1 and 7 in the playoffs, 34 and 88 were not willing to give the Leafs a hometown discount so they could be surrounded by better talent. To me all 3 are me first players. Strangely Willie is the most likeable of the 3. Not the case after he returned out of shape.

Now let's see what we get from the Big Cactus now that he is wearing the C. I heard he lost some weight over the summer.

Marner and the rest of his camp can GTFO for all I care. If he is signed for more than Willie, it will the final straw for me. This organization is just stringing us along.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I did not count Tavares because he was a UFA and he wanted to come home. Even then, Dumbass overpaid him which set the wheels in motion to f*** up the cap. Then after going 1 and 7 in the playoffs, 34 and 88 were not willing to give the Leafs a hometown discount so they could be surrounded by better talent. To me all 3 are me first players. Strangely Willie is the most likeable of the 3. Not the case after he returned out of shape.

Now let's see what we get from the Big Cactus now that he is wearing the C. I heard he lost some weight over the summer.

Marner and the rest of his camp can GTFO for all I care. If he is signed for more than Willie, it will the final straw for me. This organization is just stringing us along.
To be fair Willy did say he would take a discount if Matty did. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing if he would have.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
To be fair Willy did say he would take a discount if Matty did. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing if he would have.
Yeah when your leader takes a 4 year deal at huge money so he can maximize his career earnings, I can't blame Willie too much since he agreed to max term. Problem is the Leafs allow 16 and 88 to use 34 as a comparable, when he is not. I just hope this is the last we see of this core if they cannot get into round #3 next year. MLSEL can GTFO if they try to run it back after another disappointing playoff. I'm just glad I am not a season ticket holder helping pay to keep the band together.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
2015 draft:

Who else do you take when McD and Eichel are obviously already gone?

So I think we drafted well that year, and yet I don't want Marner on the team at $13/y

We'll have to wait and see how Berube deploys these guys.

Reactions: francis246
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Did he actually say that or was it just speculated? Let's face it, Willy wasn't taking a discount coming out of a contract that ended up being super team friendly. He could have said that though, knowing Matthews wasn't going to take a discount either.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Matthews looks thinner in the recent photos of him

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
This is a weird thought I had.

What if, Tre didn't even engage in negotiations whether re-signing or trade?

I wonder how Marner and his agent would react to that?

Like sort of a bluff, but also, yeah you can just walk to UFA, but never even have any discussion about it? Like just not even entertain any negotiation on Tre's end. Let Marner's agent either come and inquire about it, and just sort of give the cold shoulder and not really even engage.

I don't want Marner back at what he's going to get from the Leafs or in UFA.
That would be ballsy, that’s for sure. Maybe something we need in a GM. But at the end of the day, seems unlikely. I can’t imagine any GMs not exploring all opportunities and/or holding grudges with players.

One thing does seem certain though, we aren’t actively trying to sign him now at least. There was a ton of chatter last year about matthews and Nylander, but very little (or nothing?) about Marner. The team has made is very clear this offseason they do not value him like he thought they did.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yeah when your leader takes a 4 year deal at huge money so he can maximize his career earnings, I can't blame Willie too much since he agreed to max term. Problem is the Leafs allow 16 and 88 to use 34 as a comparable, when he is not. I just hope this is the last we see of this core if they cannot get into round #3 next year. MLSEL can GTFO if they try to run it back after another disappointing playoff. I'm just glad I am not a season ticket holder helping pay to keep the band together.
True, although I think it was more a matter of 16 using 34 as a comparable (which he isn't) and 88 using 16 as a comparable (which he is).

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Did he actually say that or was it just speculated? Let's face it, Willy wasn't taking a discount coming out of a contract that ended up being super team friendly. He could have said that though, knowing Matthews wasn't going to take a discount either.
As far as I recall, he was reported as actually saying that.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
True, although I think it was more a matter of 16 using 34 as a comparable (which he isn't) and 88 using 16 as a comparable (which he is).
since they're all overpaid it would be better to use comparable's from other teams imo.........

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
since they're all overpaid it would be better to use comparable's from other teams imo.........

I realize Matthews’ AAV is obviously very high and that invites comments like this to some extent but he’s in no way overpaid

He has been one of the 3 best players in the entire league as voted by his peers 3 of the last 4 years.

He just scored 69 goals while also being a Selke finalist.

He is the odds on favorite to win the rocket in any season he’s healthy and good chance he wins it by a fair margin. He is an incredibly rare player.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Being the most difficult to deal with makes it hard to believe that If he did say it, it's doubtful he meant it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: freshwind

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I realize Matthews’ AAV is obviously very high and that invites comments like this to some extent but he’s in no way overpaid

He has been one of the 3 best players in the entire league as voted by his peers 3 of the last 4 years.

He just scored 69 goals while also being a Selke finalist.

He is the odds on favorite to win the rocket in any season he’s healthy and good chance he wins it by a fair margin. He is an incredibly rare player.
Not in the playoffs, not when it matters…….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad