In Memoriam Johnny & Matthew Gaudreau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Matthew was a high school hockey coach, I know that. He is surely a big loss for the community too
Wow. And oh I’m sure. I didn’t mean to make my post sound as if I was excluding Matthew.

His family should’ve been their family. That’s my bad

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

According to police there were two cars coming up behind the Gaudreau brothers on their bikes. The first one moved left to the middle of the road to safely pass them, at which point the allegedly drunk moron driving the second car tried to pass the first one on the right, and whilst doing so rammed straight into the back of the brothers. There are mistakes and minor errors, and then there is gross, reckless, stupid stuff like this. I hope this guy doesn't see the world outside a cell for a long time. What a senseless waste.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

NHL standout Johnny Gaudreau and his brother Matthew, both of whom grew up in New Jersey and played on the Boston College hockey team, died on Thursday, according to statements released by the NHL and the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Reports from New Jersey and Philadelphia-area media said the Gaudreau brothers were riding bicycles when they were struck by a vehicle in Oldmans Township, NJ, on Thursday night. The league and team statements did not specify a cause of death or circumstances surrounding the deaths.
Fox 29 in Philadelphia reported the accident happened at about 8:30 p.m. on Thursday. Another area television station, ABC 6, reported that the driver of the car remained at the scene.
“The National Hockey League family is shocked and saddened by the tragic passing of Columbus Blue Jackets forward Johnny Gaudreau and his brother Matthew. While Johnny’s infectious spirit for the game and show-stopping skills on the ice earned him the nickname ‘Johnny Hockey,’ he was more than just a dazzling hockey player; he was a doting father and beloved husband, son, brother and teammate who endeared himself to every person fortunate enough to have crossed his path,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement released by the league on Friday morning.

Matthew, a 2017 BC graduate, was 29. Also a forward he played four seasons of minor pro hockey, including parts of three seasons with the ECHL Worcester Railers.

“The Columbus Blue Jackets are shocked and devastated by this unimaginable tragedy. Johnny was not only a great hockey player, but more significantly a loving husband, father, son, brother and friend. We extend our heartfelt sympathies to his wife, Meredith, his children, Noa and Johnny, his parents, their family and friends on the sudden loss of Johnny and Matt,” the Blue Jackets said in a statement released Friday.

“Johnny played the game with great joy which was felt by everyone that saw him on the ice. He brought a genuine love for hockey with him everywhere he played from Boston College to the Calgary Flames to Team USA to the Blue Jackets. He thrilled fans in a way only Johnny Hockey could. The impact he had on our organization and our sport was profound, but pales in comparison to the indelible impression he made on everyone who knew him. Johnny embraced our community when he arrived two years ago, and Columbus welcomed him with open arms. We will miss him terribly and do everything that we can to support his family and each other through this tragedy.”

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Absolutely horrible news. Just horrible.

RIP to Johnny hockey and his brother.

Drunk drivers that take a life should go straight to jail, no due process. It's beyond ridiculous at this point how often it happens.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
How in this day and age can idiots still drink and drive.

My heart goes out to the families. As a grandfather seeing those kids and knowing they lost s father and an uncle just tears me apart.
It is so, so incredibly easy now to find an alternative after a night out.

I’ve always said to my younger siblings “if you can’t afford a ride home (in the event one is needed) you can’t afford to go out. Period.”

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
According to police there were two cars coming up behind the Gaudreau brothers on their bikes. The first one moved left to the middle of the road to safely pass them, at which point the allegedly drunk moron driving the second car tried to pass the first one on the right, and whilst doing so rammed straight into the back of the brothers. There are mistakes and minor errors, and then there is gross, reckless, stupid stuff like this. I hope this guy doesn't see the world outside a cell for a long time. What a senseless waste.

There is a bike lane on the road I take to work. The speed limit is only 45, but you could not pay me to ride a bike on that road. Way too many idiots, drunk or not. There's no invisible force field to protect you. It only takes a second to get wiped out, and the car is always going to "win."

The unimaginable stupidity, and that word is too kind, of passing on the right.

Senseless.

You know who else are victims, to an extent? The family of the idiot knowing their family member's idiocy caused this tragedy.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
It is so, so incredibly easy now to find an alternative after a night out.

I’ve always said to my younger siblings “if you can’t afford a ride home (in the event one is needed) you can’t afford to go out. Period.”
My kids where told to call me any hour any time if they could not get home safely.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Jesus Christ just put the damn keys down if you’re drinking. Call an Uber. Call a friend. Walk. Just don’t get behind the wheel of the car. Breaks my heart knowing those kids will grow up without their dad. Breaks my heart for their sister on what should have been the biggest day of her life is now her worst nightmare. Just tragedy.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Wow. And oh I’m sure. I didn’t mean to make my post sound as if I was excluding Matthew.

His family should’ve been their family. That’s my bad
No worries man I didn’t perceive it that way, just wanted to add some context

Reactions: JCRO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad