Value of: Johnny Gaudreau: UFA this summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ledge And Dairy

He's a 9+ per year player, but the back end of that deal could end up looking real bad.
If Calgary's offering the 8th year he still makes more at 8-8.5M than 9 on the market (that likely includes whatever 1 year deal he might sign after a 7 year contract).

His playstyle should age pretty well. Hes a very Kane-esque type player where he can slow the game down and not need to rely on footspeed to stay relevant

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d offer him 8x8 but i have no problem paying him 8x10. He’s an elite skater with elite vision and those are the guys that last. Plus he plays a very low contact style and hasn’t had many, if any, soft tissue injuries. All his injuries have been like broken hand, broken finger type things. He’s about as safe a bet as there is IMO.

You don’t nickel and dime the Gaudreau’s of the world. You pay them and figure out the rest of the re aster after. The Flames can add Pelletier, The Bison, Ruzicka, Zary, to fill out the forward groups the next few years.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I don't think so at all. People will forget about a 2nd round exit by the following year. All we'll have is the thought of losing Johnny for nothing.
No way the Flames management signs off on trading Gaudreau for picks and prospects while they are in a playoff spot. They would have to be basically a zero percent chance of making playoffs for Gaudreau to get traded at the deadline. The ownership mentality is make it into the playoffs and anything can happen.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Flames are definitely in a pickle if they/Gaudreau continue to play well but don't get an extension signed him prior to the TDL...

The John Tavares Debate all over again... except the Flames will be in a playoff spot which makes the decision even more interesting.

Gaudreau would likely be looking for an 8 year deal if he re-ups with the Flames and he is having a very strong (career, IMO) season, so I expect him to be going for a big number.

Reactions: Devonator

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I’d offer him 8x8 but i have no problem paying him 8x10. He’s an elite skater with elite vision and those are the guys that last. Plus he plays a very low contact style and hasn’t had many, if any, soft tissue injuries. All his injuries have been like broken hand, broken finger type things. He’s about as safe a bet as there is IMO.

You don’t nickel and dime the Gaudreau’s of the world. You pay them and figure out the rest of the re aster after. The Flames can add Pelletier, The Bison, Ruzicka, Zary, to fill out the forward groups the next few years.

I agree. I think 8 x 10 does it. I think if 8 x 8 is max, then he will go to UFA to test those waters. He looks like a new player playing with Lindholm.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Flames are definitely in a pickle if they/Gaudreau continue to play well but don't get an extension signed him prior to the TDL...

The John Tavares Debate all over again... except the Flames will be in a playoff spot which makes the decision even more interesting.

Gaudreau would likely be looking for an 8 year deal if he re-ups with the Flames and he is having a very strong (career, IMO) season, so I expect him to be going for a big number.

There's no real pickle with the TDL.

Same situation as Panarin in Columbus, only the Flames are having a better season and have easier competition.

Elite players at the deadline don't go for that much more than a very good player. A very good player gets a 1st, an elite player maybe a 1st and a prospect. And Gaudreau doesn't have the playoff resume to get a huge return. There's not enough reason for the Flames to move him.

Ledge And Dairy

I agree. I think 8 x 10 does it. I think if 8 x 8 is max, then he will go to UFA to test those waters. He looks like a new player playing with Lindholm.
I mean Landeskog tested the market too but in the end signed a very team friendly deal with the Avs. I'm not saying Gaudreau will sign as low as 7M but generally you either take a more team friendly at with more term or go for money on the market. Hall and Stamkos are other examples of someone who chose a team friendly deal. Panarin, Tavares, and Hamilton being the opposite. If Gaudreau resigns with the Flames it will be for less than what he will get on the market but likely with the extra year attached. For example 8x8=64M and 7x9=63M, or 8x8.5=68M and 7x9.5=66.5M

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
No way the Flames management signs off on trading Gaudreau for picks and prospects while they are in a playoff spot. They would have to be basically a zero percent chance of making playoffs for Gaudreau to get traded at the deadline. The ownership mentality is make it into the playoffs and anything can happen.

They'd likely still make the playoffs anyways.

I still don't see this an all in year. That's a huge price for another couple months of Gaudreau. I'd trade him, see how playoffs go and retool in the summer. Think our bottom six still needs improvement.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Are you actually serious? Calgary doesn't even make the playoffs if they trade Gaudreau

I'd take Calgary w/o Gaudreau over California pretty easily come February or march. If losing one player drops you out of the playoffs you'd be moronic to go all in and waste assets.

Like that would make trading Gaudreau even more obvious if you think that.

Ledge And Dairy

I'd take Calgary w/o Gaudreau over California pretty easily come February or march. If losing one player drops you out of the playoffs you'd be moronic to go all in and waste assets.

Like that would make trading Gaudreau even more obvious if you think that.
You do realize the goal is to win the cup not the draft right? Man the way some people overvalue draft position is beyond me. How is trading scratch tickets to give this team that is performing really really well under a really good coach a bad idea. Furthermore, trading Gaudreau isn't the only reason Calgary is doing as well as they are but he is a big part. Trading him is extremely demoralizing for the rest of the team. It means the ownership has zero trust in them and it will lead to a major falling out. Tkachuk likely won't sign long term, Mangiapane probably won't sign long term, etc. IDK about you but usually when a team is 1st in the entire west my first thought isn't scorch earth. You know there are human right? This isn't EA Sports where the players are just AI's that don't care at all about anything

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Its not really a pickle...if we are continuing to play well it means we are a solid playoff contender. If we trade Gaudreau we are then down a top 6 winger that we would need to trade for and none of traditionally available pending UFA wingers can replace Gaudreau's offence so we keep him as a self rental for the run and continue to hope he signs but be willing to see him leave for nothing.
If we fall out we trade him
if we are borderline (the teams play falls off and they are now fighting for a wildcard) thats where it gets difficult and most would want him traded for futures but the team might pray for a cinderella run

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
You do realize the goal is to win the cup not the draft right? Man the way some people overvalue draft position is beyond me. How is trading scratch tickets to give this team that is performing really really well under a really good coach a bad idea. Furthermore, trading Gaudreau isn't the only reason Calgary is doing as well as they are but he is a big part. Trading him is extremely demoralizing for the rest of the team. It means the ownership has zero trust in them and it will lead to a major falling out. Tkachuk likely won't sign long term, Mangiapane probably won't sign long term, etc. IDK about you but usually when a team is 1st in the entire west my first thought isn't scorch earth. You know there are human right? This isn't EA Sports where the players are just AI's that don't care at all about anything

If they won't sign long term then ya, get rid of them before they walk. You trade Gaudreau and Tkachuk knows its either resign or get traded as well. Ideally we'd resign Gaudreau and trade Tkachuk but I expect only one of them to be here in two years.

I'd much rather have a competitive team for a decade than go all in after a good start. If the defense is actually legit, they're going to be good for a long time. If they aren't and this is just a hot streak, I'll be glad they didn't go all in.

Ledge And Dairy

If they won't sign long term then ya, get rid of them before they walk. You trade Gaudreau and Tkachuk knows its either resign or get traded as well. Ideally we'd resign Gaudreau and trade Tkachuk but I expect only one of them to be here in two years.

I'd much rather have a competitive team for a decade than go all in after a good start. If the defense is actually legit, they're going to be good for a long time. If they aren't and this is just a hot streak, I'll be glad they didn't go all in.
You act like anything is going to happen before before February. Calgary isn't making any changes before then (whether that be selling or upgrading).

Also ideally both Gaudreau and Tkachuk sign long term deals and are bother here in 2 years, why would an ideal situation exclude one of them?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
You act like anything is going to happen before before February. Calgary isn't making any changes before then (whether that be selling or upgrading).

Also ideally both Gaudreau and Tkachuk sign long term deals and are bother here in 2 years, why would an ideal situation exclude one of them?

I don't want to spend 20M on two wingers.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm keeping Gaudreau and Mangiapane if it comes down to it. Both can drive a line. Tkachuk can't do that. I'd go 8.25M for max term on Gaudreau. I think that will get it done if the team is winning. If the team isn't winning then I think he'll move on absent a ridiculous overpayment.

Ledge And Dairy

Have you seen Gaudreau play this year?

He's looking at Panarin as a comparable. Just say he was carrying around Monahan's crippled body the last two years.
Panarin got paid on the open market from a different team that could not offer an 8th year of term. Landeskog was rumored to be asking for 9M on the open market but then took a team friendly deal and resigned at 7M for 8 years. Do you really think he's a 7M player on the open market? Nobody does. If Gaudreau just wants to get paid Calgary is not where he will be playing next year

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Panarin got paid on the open market from a different team that could not offer an 8th year of term. Landeskog was rumored to be asking for 9M on the open market but then took a team friendly deal and resigned at 7M for 8 years. Do you really think he's a 7M player on the open market? Nobody does. If Gaudreau just wants to get paid Calgary is not where he will be playing next year

I think he's worth 10 on the open market.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm keeping Gaudreau and Mangiapane if it comes down to it. Both can drive a line. Tkachuk can't do that. I'd go 8.25M for max term on Gaudreau. I think that will get it done if the team is winning. If the team isn't winning then I think he'll move on absent a ridiculous overpayment.

Mangiapane is the exact opposite of a line driver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad