Value of: Johnny Gaudreau: UFA this summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Being from South Jersey, there's certainly a part of this that feels like it's Philadelphia. That's Flyers country through and through, not Devils.

If not going back home to Philadelphia or re-upping in Calgary, though, this one strikes me as a case where he will be a merc if he leaves his current team. At the kind of $8-9M coin he will be chasing for near max term, and with the warts in his game (mostly his size), he strikes me as someone who will have to strictly follow the money. There will be teams offering what he wants, but maybe not many, and not necessarily the teams of his choosing.

But I'll say Philly or Calgary. The Flames are shaping up to be a good team this year and that's a big factor, on top of the eighth year they can offer him.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
8M maximum, any more and they should trade him at the deadline unless the team is rolling and has a legit chance at a cup. Without an extension in place they should have traded him in the offseason before his trade protection kicked in. Overpaying a small winger on the back half of his career is a bad idea, let someone else jump off that bridge.

Yeah, because small wingers have a history of aging poorly. Oh wait, that's true of big wingers. Small scoring wingers tend to still be very effective at 35+

St Louis
Selanne
Whitney
Kozlov
Recchi
Gionta
Ciccarelli
Joe Mullen

Patrick Kane will be 33 in a few weeks and we've seen pretty much no fall off for him. His last 3 seasons have actually been some of his best.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
If Calgary offers the eighth year he probably stays. For example, if they offer 8×8 another team would have to offer 9.15×7 to beat the total value of the deal. That's a steep price.

With Tkachuk's 9 AAV QO, I think they might opt to pick one or the other.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Realistically, he'll probably get offered anywhere from $9M-10M on the open market, but it wouldn't shock me to see him take a discount to play closer to home.

I would be shocked if he took a discount to play in Calgary after the way they treated him during his RFA contract negotiation. He has significantly outplayed his current contract, averaging 81 points per 82 games on a $6.75M cap hit.

Ledge And Dairy

If Calgary offers the eighth year he probably stays. For example, if they offer 8×8 another team would have to offer 9.15×7 to beat the total value of the deal. That's a steep price.

With Tkachuk's 9 AAV QO, I think they might opt to pick one or the other.
Tkachuk likely wont get a chance to sign a QO, Calgary probably files for Arbitration in lieu of it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He'll probably only get like $4-5M AAV. After all, he's not even as good as Cole ****ing Caufield according to ESPN

Are you serious? Devils would sign that in a heart beat. $7.5M is a steal for a player like Gaudreau.

I have no interest in signing a midget play maker to a 7 year contract.

I know you have a hard on for Gaudreau so I Will not be commenting further.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I have no interest in signing a midget play maker to a 7 year contract.

I know you have a hard on for Gaudreau so I Will not be commenting further.

You know he's a 2 time 30 goal scorer, right? He's averaged 27 goals/82 games, and he's done that without the benefit of a playmaking center.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's generally not ideal to be signing players to big contracts as they're entering their 30's...

Depending what the offers are at the deadline, Calgary may be wise to move Gaudreau for picks/prospects, and maintain future cap flexibility

To Philly: Gaudreau

To Calgary: 2022 1st, Tuomaala, JVR... or maybe Foerster, JVR

Philly get an all-star calibre LW who should be eager to re-sign with the team

Calgary get a decent LW to help offset the loss of Gaudreau, plus a 2022 1st and speedy RW prospect in Tuomaala, or an offensive C prospect in Foerster
Calargy isn't moving him unless they find themselves becoming a playoff bubble. Otherwise they other sign him, lose him for nothing, or trade rights at end of season. They will not be making a blockbuster trade involving Gaudreau unless the wheels fall off.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Realistically, he'll probably get offered anywhere from $9M-10M on the open market, but it wouldn't shock me to see him take a discount to play closer to home.

I would be shocked if he took a discount to play in Calgary after the way they treated him during his RFA contract negotiation. He has significantly outplayed his current contract, averaging 81 points per 82 games on a $6.75M cap hit.

he got the same contract as Giordano who was headed to Free Agency that year. Johnny was an RFA without arbitration. Those were and are the largest contracts in Flames history.

he also got more than Nathan Mackinnon who signed at the same time. I also think he got more than Barkov and a few others.

how do you consider that mistreatment?

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yeah, because small wingers have a history of aging poorly. Oh wait, that's true of big wingers. Small scoring wingers tend to still be very effective at 35+

St Louis
Selanne
Whitney
Kozlov
Recchi
Gionta
Ciccarelli
Joe Mullen

Patrick Kane will be 33 in a few weeks and we've seen pretty much no fall off for him. His last 3 seasons have actually been some of his best.

I dont think anyone would call Selänne a small scoring winger.

And on the topic, I really want Flames to re-sign Gaudreau

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
he got the same contract as Giordano who was headed to Free Agency that year. Johnny was an RFA without arbitration. Those were and are the largest contracts in Flames history.

he also got more than Nathan Mackinnon who signed at the same time. I also think he got more than Barkov and a few others.

how do you consider that mistreatment?

He was coming off a season where he finished 6th in league scoring with 30 goals and 78 points in 79 games.

Mackinnon was coming off a 52 point season and 38 point season.
Barkov was coming off a 59 point season and 36 point season.

Nothing "wrong" with how Calgary used their leverage, but they definitely did. I would expect Gaudreau to now use his leverage and not accept a discount.

Reactions: Lurch

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

St Louis
Selanne
Whitney
Kozlov
Recchi
Gionta
Ciccarelli
Joe Mullen

I dont think anyone would call Selänne a small scoring winger.

And on the topic, I really want Flames to re-sign Gaudreau

A lot of these guys aren't that small. They were from the era before players started exaggerating their size. So a guy like Ciccarelli listed at 5'10 is likely the equivalent of a 6' player now. A guy like Recchi who was 5'10'' and 195lbs, would not be considered small in any way compared to modern NHLers. You can inflate that to 6' and 200+lbs using today's standards.

I do agree with the main point, that Gaudreau is likely to last longer than average. He doesn't rely on high end speed and he may be the best player in NHL history at avoiding contact. His only major injury thus far has been a fractured finger.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Tkachuk likely wont get a chance to sign a QO, Calgary probably files for Arbitration in lieu of it.

If the Flames elect to file for arbritation in the first window before he can sign his QO, he'll still be owed at minimum 85% of the $9 mil QO on a 1-2 year contract. Since the Flames decided to file for arbritation, Tkachuk can choose whether he wants a 1 or 2 year contract, which if he choose 1 year walks him right into free agency I believe.

Player cannot be awarded less than 85% of his previous years combined base salary, signing bonuses and performance bonuses

Arbitration Filings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
there's several articles that all state something to the effect that "there's chatter/rumors that he wants to go east"

if it were just one, not much to it

several stating they've heard the same rumors? that's more of a 'where there's smoke there's prolly fire'

personally, I can see it both ways. it'd be cool for the Flames to be able to keep him and be the face of their franchise..etc..

I can also see him wanting to go home, sign with a team that might make a bigger splash in the playoffs...etc..

it's a tough one for sure
More likely someone picked up the rumour and repeated it. That doesn't make it valid.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Ledge And Dairy

If the Flames elect to file for arbritation in the first window before he can sign his QO, he'll still be owed at minimum 85% of the $9 mil QO on a 1-2 year contract. Since the Flames decided to file for arbritation, Tkachuk can choose whether he wants a 1 or 2 year contract, which if he choose 1 year walks him right into free agency I believe.

Arbitration Filings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Yes, either way a QO or arbitration only ends up being a 1 year deal. Team elected arbitration does not mean the contract Tkachuk signs has to be short term. Refer to Brandon Carlo's most recent contract. Boston elected arbitration in the first window and the agreed to a 6 year deal before the arbitration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad