Value of: Johnny Gaudreau: UFA this summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It's generally not ideal to be signing players to big contracts as they're entering their 30's...

Depending what the offers are at the deadline, Calgary may be wise to move Gaudreau for picks/prospects, and maintain future cap flexibility

To Philly: Gaudreau

To Calgary: 2022 1st, Tuomaala, JVR... or maybe Foerster, JVR

Philly get an all-star calibre LW who should be eager to re-sign with the team

Calgary get a decent LW to help offset the loss of Gaudreau, plus a 2022 1st and speedy RW prospect in Tuomaala, or an offensive C prospect in Foerster

That's a f***load of assets from Philly for a rental, especially given that they may not even be in playoff position at that juncture.

In terms of the Flyers signing him, even dumping JVR might not be enough. They're looking at only around $14m in cap space next year with only 12 roster players, with Giroux and Ristolainen among those to re-sign. I can't imagine them not giving Risto some awful dumbass contract given the price they paid for him. So think around $21m if they move JVR, but then probably throw $6m+ at Risto, $8m+ at Gaudreau, spend some money filling out the roster depth, and then look at Giroux like "so how big of a hometown discount are we getting here?"

I don't see it anymore. Unless the Flyers do the smart thing and let big useless Rasmus walk into free agency, or are planning on letting Giroux move on. They let Risto walk, they're back to having a gaping hole on the right side of their top 4...and they'd then have obliterated a lot of the trade assets by acquiring Gaudreau, without a ton of cap space to play ball in UFA, either.

Fletcher's dumb though so who knows.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I would be fine going as high as $9x8. One of the few players that made the Flames worth watching in the last 10 years. If a player like Rantanen can get $9.25 off MacKinnon's sweat I don't think Johnny's far off.

Anything higher than that I wouldn't be too happy with but could probably stomach something under $10 as long as it's 7 or 8 years. They need to figure this out before the deadline though, hanging on to him just to see him walk to try to scrape together some playoff revenue would be horrendous. And also Classic Calgary Flames.

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Get what you can for him at the deadline. I don't want 8 or 9 years of him keeping us in mediocrity. We just don't have the pipeline to truly contend. Wipe the board and start over. We can retool on the fly if we get picks and prospects for Johnny and Monahan.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The contract isn't paying him for what he did in his 20's...

He'll be 29 at the start of next season, so a 7 year deal would take him through his age 35 season

There aren't a lot of wingers in their mid 30's among the scoring leaders

You haven’t seen what happens in UFA market?

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
That's a f***load of assets from Philly for a rental, especially given that they may not even be in playoff position at that juncture.

In terms of the Flyers signing him, even dumping JVR might not be enough. They're looking at only around $14m in cap space next year with only 12 roster players, with Giroux and Ristolainen among those to re-sign. I can't imagine them not giving Risto some awful dumbass contract given the price they paid for him. So think around $21m if they move JVR, but then probably throw $6m+ at Risto, $8m+ at Gaudreau, spend some money filling out the roster depth, and then look at Giroux like "so how big of a hometown discount are we getting here?"

I don't see it anymore. Unless the Flyers do the smart thing and let big useless Rasmus walk into free agency, or are planning on letting Giroux move on. They let Risto walk, they're back to having a gaping hole on the right side of their top 4...and they'd then have obliterated a lot of the trade assets by acquiring Gaudreau, without a ton of cap space to play ball in UFA, either.

Fletcher's dumb though so who knows.

Is it possible you misread my example?

I was speculating a trade might look something like...

To Calgary: 2022 1st, Tuomaala, JVR

Or

To Calgary: Foerster, JVR

I think JVR is likely viewed as having negative value, so part of the value going to Calgary is to get them to take on JVR's 7 million cap hit next season

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Depending on the team.
I see him signing in jersey, Philadelphia or possibly a team like the penguins.
7 million to 9 million per.
I think he doesn't plan on signing in Calgary or it would have been done.

I could see him having interest in joining Vegas...

Maybe they sign Gaudreau, and then deal Pacioretty...

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
I never understood the "he needs a playmaking centre argument" he wants the puck on his stick at all times, he needs a shoot first C partner(that can actually score).

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
A cautionary tale.

A top level mid career player professes his love for his current team. As he approaches his his big payday and pending UFA offseason he remains unsigned.

Any pictures of him out there in Devils’ pajamas?

Mid level?

The guy is 9th in points per game among active players.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
9 million for 8 years is crazy. He'll be 37/38 by the time that ends.

If he isn't signed by the deadline I say trade him. Retaining half should return a haul.
If Flames are playoff contenders they can't make that trade.

Reactions: Devonator

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Brad loses him for nothing he's out of a job
And if you trade him just because he didn't sign, they might find themselves out of the playoffs. I can't see him being traded unless the wheels fall off the wagon here for Calgary.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
And if you trade him just because he didn't sign, they might find themselves out of the playoffs. I can't see him being traded unless the wheels fall off the wagon here for Calgary.

Not really an all in year for us, we're in the middle of transitioning. If we lose Gaudreau getting some assets and a chance at the lottery isn't the worst thing in the world.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Ledge And Dairy

Not really an all in year for us, we're in the middle of transitioning. If we lose Gaudreau getting some assets and a chance at the lottery isn't the worst thing in the world.
What about Calgary's current roster, age group, contract lengths, season results, and well known to being in on Eichel makes you think Calgary is "transitioning?" Gaudreau is dominating out there and Calgary is dominating with him. Treliving has a way better chance at keeping his job if Johnny walks for nothing after a successful playoff run then if he sells him for assets and Calgary faceplants.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
What about Calgary's current roster, age group, contract lengths, season results, and well known to being in on Eichel makes you think Calgary is "transitioning?" Gaudreau is dominating out there and Calgary is dominating with him. Treliving has a way better chance at keeping his job if Johnny walks for nothing after a successful playoff run then if he sells him for assets and Calgary faceplants.

I don't think so at all. People will forget about a 2nd round exit by the following year. All we'll have is the thought of losing Johnny for nothing.

Reactions: Big guns

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
This guy is a full service offensive forward. He makes his entire line better. I don't know how it would work but I've been low-key wanting him on the Avs for a while. Fantasies aside, I think the Devils make a lot of sense. Imagine him with Jack Hughes.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think my Jackets ought to offer $9m x 7. No idea if he's interested but he is that caliber of player.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If the team is still doing well by the TDL, they are going all in. No question about it with Sutter and Markstrom. They may not get back to this for a long time.

I think it's a sign or lose him situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad