News Article: Johnny Gaudreau passed away

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
The stupidity of this driver knows no bounds. The alcohol would have stopped him from considering why the driver ahead of him had moved over.

Alcohol takes away critical thinking skills. Add in night time, probably speeding, his vision being blocked by the other vehicle so he can't see the cyclists...

Hopefully he gets a lot of charges thrown at him.

This isn't an accident but a wildly irresponsible person acting dangerously and without regard to the safety of other people.
There's drivers that don't need alcohol to make a stupid move like that.

Reactions: windycity

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Drivers just seem to think less more than they ever have these days based on what I see.
That is true but it is very difficult to drive now even when you are sober. Most cyclists do not obey traffic laws, pedestrians where they shouldn't be, etc. Not to mention most drivers are incompetent.

Reactions: the

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
That is true but it is very difficult to drive now even when you are sober. Most cyclists do not obey traffic laws, pedestrians where they shouldn't be, etc. Not to mention most drivers are incompetent.
That’s complete bullshit. We just notice the ones that don't more. Like we notice bad drivers more. Motorized vehicle entitlement is a real syndrome.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Higgins allegedly told investigators that he thought the driver of the SUV was trying to stop him from passing. Higgins told investigators that his consumption of alcohol contributed to his impatience and reckless driving, according to the criminal complaint.
I hope they throw the book at him. Multiple families destroyed because of his selfish criminal decisions. Drunk drivers get away with way too much. I don't see this as any different that straight up murder. He made the choice to get behind the wheel.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I woke up early, sitting here with my coffee. While enjoying a beautiful morning with my wife and daughter. When I received a text from my brother, who is a Calgary fan.

As I read the tragic news, tears slowly started running down my face. I slowly got up from my chair, walked over and hugged my family tightly. Life can change in the blink of an eye. This is another sad reminder to cherish each and every day you have with your family and friends.

RIP Johnny and Matt. My condolences to the Gaudreau family.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
So if I understand correctly there's two cars in a one lane rural road. Car 1 is the one slowing down traffic and there's another car behind him.

The Jeep arrives behind both cars and pass the first driver by the left. He's now between car 1 and car 2. Until now everything is good.

Car 1 decides to go in the middle of the lane to give some space to the Gaudreau's and the Jeep driver decides to pass him from the right?

What is this guys malfuction? Why would he try to pass by the right? I understand being impatient in a one way rural street but to the point of passing recklessly by the right? Did he even have space to fit in like that in the first place?
From what I understand, he overtook the car in front of him on the right while the car ahead was giving space to the bikes.

That kind of stupid ass negligence is what manslaughter charges are for, alcohol or not.
wow i was really hoping this wasn't a pass-on-the-right scenario. :mad::mad::mad: people are so ****ing entitled and impatient, I see it all the time where I live too.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Driving a car/truck/van is a greater responsibility than either riding a bike or being a pedestrian. It’s clownshit to blame the most vulnerable road users for the damage caused by the least vulnerable. Especially when cars and their blind spots are getting bigger every year.

And as someone who works on freight trains on the island of Montreal, in the last 4 years I’ve noticed more and more people doing absolutely absurd things on the road. Just burning train crossing when all of the warning systems like lights and bells are activated, with the train horn blaring, and even sometimes with physical barriers in place to block traffic, people will go around them in order to try and beat the train. People even do these things or pull a U-turn sometimes when we’re just approaching with a few engines and no wagons. There have even been several times that I’ve had a movement headed by a locomotive or train car already physically on the crossing, and people are willing to gamble with the seconds they have in order to get in front of us. In the almost 8 years I’ve been doing it, I’ve known 3 colleagues who died on the job, heard of at least 10 incidents involving collisions with cars, and have personally come within inches of being hit by a moron trying to beat the train in his Dodge Charger while riding the side of a train car. All of this, just at the terminals I’ve worked at - never mind how many incidents there have been across the country. It's as if you put some people behind the wheel of a car and they lose their ability to reason.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Truly tragic news on what was supposed to be a joyus weekend for the family.

It bothers me that in 2024 you still have drunk drivers even with all the public awareness efforts and alternative ways home someone could choose instead. There is never a reason why someone should drive drunk
I was just telling my wife this exact thing...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad