News Article: Johnny Gaudreau passed away

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Absolutely awful, I couldn't fall asleep last night, just kept checking twitter and hf to see if it had been officially debunked. I feared for the worst when I woke up this morning and saw no one had debunked it yet. RIP Johnny Hockey

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
So if I understand correctly there's two cars in a one lane rural road. Car 1 is the one slowing down traffic and there's another car behind him.

The Jeep arrives behind both cars and pass the first driver by the left. He's now between car 1 and car 2. Until now everything is good.

Car 1 decides to go in the middle of the lane to give some space to the Gaudreau's and the Jeep driver decides to pass him from the right?

What is this guys malfuction? Why would he try to pass by the right? I understand being impatient in a one way rural street but to the point of passing recklessly by the right? Did he even have space to fit in like that in the first place?

Last edited:

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Apparently, the driver wasn't arrested. Cops would have forced him to take a breathalyzer and arrested him on the spot if he had been drinking. It is highly likely this report is inaccurate.

They were biking on a country road, late at night & an impatient driver hit them while trying to pass a slower vehicle. That seems to be what happened.

This driver has probably taken this action hundreds of times previously with no issue if he actually lives in the area.

It's a horrific accident.

From what I understand, he overtook the car in front of him on the right while the car ahead was giving space to the bikes.

That kind of stupid ass negligence is what manslaughter charges are for, alcohol or not.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
So if I understand correctly there's two cars in a one lane rural road. Car 1 is the one slowing down traffic and there's another car behind him.

The Jeep arrives behind both cars and pass the first driver by the left. He's now between car 1 and car 2. Until now everything is good.

Car 1 decides to go in the middle of the lane to give some space to the Gaudreau's and the Jeep driver decides to pass him from the right?

What is this guys malfuction? Why would he try to pass by the right? I don't get it.

I’m guessing if they were driving at a speed to overtake traffic they made a split decision on which way to swerve - left or right - to avoid the vehicle that had come out into the center. They swerved right.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee and the

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
According to a reddit comment,

The driver was trying to pass 2 vehicles. He passed the first one on the left, but passed the 2nd one on the right because the 2nd car had moved to the center to give room to the two cyclists on his right.

I'm gutted at the sheer stupidity of this driver. My God.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
From what I understand, he overtook the car in front of him on the right while the car ahead was giving space to the bikes.

That kind of stupid ass negligence is what manslaughter charges are for, alcohol or not.

The stupidity of this driver knows no bounds. The alcohol would have stopped him from considering why the driver ahead of him had moved over.

Alcohol takes away critical thinking skills. Add in night time, probably speeding, his vision being blocked by the other vehicle so he can't see the cyclists...

Hopefully he gets a lot of charges thrown at him.

This isn't an accident but a wildly irresponsible person acting dangerously and without regard to the safety of other people.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
According to a reddit comment,

The driver was trying to pass 2 vehicles. He passed the first one on the left, but passed the 2nd one on the right because the 2nd car had moved to the center to give room to the two cyclists on his right.

I'm gutted at the sheer stupidity of this driver. My God.
Social medias are full of videos where a "good driver" try to scare cyclists and I'm always stunt by the number of people finding it funny and justified. In a decent world, this tragedy would make people think about their own behavior behind the wheel, but we all know it won't change anything.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The stupidity of this driver knows no bounds. The alcohol would have stopped him from considering why the driver ahead of him had moved over.

Alcohol takes away critical thinking skills. Add in night time, probably speeding, his vision being blocked by the other vehicle so he can't see the cyclists...

Hopefully he gets a lot of charges thrown at him.

This isn't an accident but a wildly irresponsible person acting dangerously and without regard to the safety of other people.

I have wished many times we'd move on from building hyper dense cities, built for cars.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Apparently, the driver wasn't arrested. Cops would have forced him to take a breathalyzer and arrested him on the spot if he had been drinking. It is highly likely this report is inaccurate.

They were biking on a country road, late at night & an impatient driver hit them while trying to pass a slower vehicle. That seems to be what happened.

This driver has probably taken this action hundreds of times previously with no issue if he actually lives in the area.

It's a horrific accident.
The driver was arrested and charged. I’m not sure where you’re getting your information? Maybe I’m reading the wrong information. Seems to be conflicting reports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
In town for your sister's wedding and to have this happen... The pain the family must feel right now is unimaginable. What an unspeakable tragedy.

My thoughts go out to their loved ones. The hockey world as a whole is less today than it was yesterday.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Impatience behind the wheel is as much as a factor. There are a lot of dumb ass aggressive drivers doing stupid things to get somewhere 5 minutes faster.

I see it every day on the 401. Did the driver go onto the shoulder, then? Late at night on a country road. That's crazy driver time. Unless this guy is a complete psychopath, I feel for him, too. He made some incredibly stupid decisions that changed the lives of so many including himself.
I drive the 401 -> DVP every day and half the time I get home I need to sit there for a few minutes to decompress. People are f***in nuts these days, putting people's lives and their children's lives in danger to save themselves a minute or 2. I'm leaving the area this year and that is honestly one of the major factors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad