In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to it in a vacuum, but you are going to run into problems with people who simply don't have the breath to blow hard enough into one of those devices. You're also going to run into issues where people who, for example, use mouth wash with alcohol in it not being able to start their cars.

The punishment needs to be higher for impaired driving and the social stigma needs to be greater.

Both are minimal at this point. I'm not even talking about impaired causing death, just impaired driving.

Without looking down off a high horse, I've managed to get to my late 30s and have never driven even remotely close to over the limit. For basically the entirety of my adult life I refuse to drive even if I've only had one drink, or I will refuse even one drink if I know I'm driving within the next few hours. It's not that hard to do.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Yup — this is the face of tristate area scum who get drunk alone for no reason, get angry for no reason, etc. False bravado is their coping mechanism, and if they ever get called on it, well, it’s just a Jersey thing y’know. Or a Philly thing. We run hot.

I know the type all too well. What a f***ing loser.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
In the grand scheme of things and the fact that he was next in line, I imagine he feels shock and thankfulness. It could have been him too.

Not really. If you read the report, it sounds like the killer was trying to pass two vehicles on a 2 lane county road: a sedan and an SUV. The killer passed the sedan, and was about to pass the SUV, but the SUV drifted towards the middle of the 2 lanes to give room to the Gaudreaus who were cycling on the shoulder, so the killer impatiently swerved and tried to pass on the shoulder, not realizing there were cyclists there.

His act of kindness ended up causing the other driver to swerve in and hit the cyclists he was trying to give room to.

Reactions: PuckG

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Can't even focus today at work. This one hurts. I can't even fathom what the family is going through. Condolences.

He was a kid that was doubted at every single level because of his size. People doubted he could hang in the USHL, tears it up. Too small for D1, becomes one of the greatest college hockey players in history. Too small for the NHL, 7 time all star. Such a role model.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
I can’t remember the last time I gave an audible reaction of shock like I did seeing this news. This is so damn sad man I don’t even have words

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Thinking about the kids as I’m reading these posts, I was one of these kids. My father was killed in a roadway accident when I was 4 months old. I have zero memories and not even a picture of us together.

This is something these kids will struggle with for their entire lives.

So sad
@Laus723 did you mean to laugh at this?

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
The punishment needs to be higher for impaired and the social stigma needs to be greater.

Both are minimal at this point. I'm not even talking about impaired causing death, just impaired driving.

Without standing on a high horse, I've managed to get to my late 30s and have never driven even remotely close to over the limit. For basically the entirety of my adult life I refuse to drive even if I've only had one drink, or I will refuse even one drink if I know I'm driving within the next few hours. It's not that hard to do.
I'm not sure how much an intoxicated person is caring about the punishment or stigma in the moment, though, particularly those with substance abuse disorder. Those are the people who drive impaired the most and think about the consequences the least. I'm not saying punishments shouldn't be more severe (although they are pretty severe as it is in a lot of places). I'm just skeptical of how much of an impact that would have. There should be more invested in education and treatment of substance abuse, too.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Yup — this is the face of tristate area scum who get drunk alone for no reason, get angry for no reason, etc. False bravado is their coping mechanism, and if they ever get called on it, well, it’s just a Jersey thing y’know. Or a Philly thing. We run hot.

I’ve also dealt with this type.

Phenotypes are a real thing.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I ride over 1k every year on my bike, my favorite hobby. But unlike most byclist, 95% of those miles are on designated bike paths. Whenever I do travel on the road, I say a prayer. And the number one thing I fear is being hit by a cell phone using distracted driver. My path crosses a main road and I sit at the light waiting to cross, I would say nearly half the cars that go pass, the driver is using their phone. I have the right to ride my bike on any road I choose. My abundance of common sense usually prevents me from doing so.

I'm just saying Alcohol is an easy scapegoat to demonize. A bad driver will kill you whether they had beers, using a phone or from any other distraction.
I'm in the same boat. I ride 40+km 5 days a week and you couldn't pay me to ride on the main roads. Bike paths, parks, and slow residential roads only. Hell earlier this summer I almost got run over by an oncoming car driving on the wrong side of the road in a corner. The bikers who travel with traffic on busy roads have much bigger balls than I ever will.

Regarding alcohol and texting, there's nuance to it that's lost on the average person. If you know your limit it's OK to drive after a couple, but don't be getting behind the wheel completely obliterated. Using your phone while navigating through traffic? Dumbass move. Checking your phone on a quiet road, non-issue. And the overzealous cops giving tickets for texting at a red light prove that law isn't actually there for anyone's protection, that kind of abuse is nothing more than a quata meeting cashgrab.

Reactions: Pez68

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I don't have any words. Prayers for the families, friends, fans and anyone else affected by this horrific tragedy.

Shocked. Living in FL I know how dangerous biking is down here. Like many have sad...hugs your loved ones. Reach out to that friend you've been meaning to catch up with...this could be anyone.

Don't get me started on drunk drivers. This totally sucks.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Not really. If you read the report, it sounds like the killer was trying to pass two vehicles on a 2 lane county road: a sedan and an SUV. The killer passed the sedan, and was about to pass the SUV, but the SUV drifted towards the middle of the 2 lanes to give room to the Gaudreaus who were cycling on the shoulder, so the killer impatiently swerved and tried to pass on the shoulder, not realizing there were cyclists there.

His act of kindness ended up causing the other driver to swerve in and hit the cyclists he was trying to give room to.
Giving cyclists a bit of room isn't an act of kindness. On a country road, you basically have to. The lane is theirs and you have to pass them. Otherwise you could clip them with your mirror or run them over completely

Reactions: AzHawk

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

I checked his Facebook, veteran, two very young daughters with him in almost all his pics, donating to charities. But yeah, everything you said can also be true at the same time.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I'm not sure how much an intoxicated person is caring about the punishment or stigma in the moment, though, particularly those with substance abuse disorder. Those are the people who drive impaired the most and think about the consequences the least. I'm not saying punishments shouldn't be more severe (although they are pretty severe as it is in a lot of places). I'm just skeptical of how much of an impact that would have. There should be more invested in education and treatment of substance abuse, too.
Alcohol is just the absolute worst substance out there, too. I don't know how much more people can be educated on the dangers of alcohol abuse or drunk driving, but treatment for sure.

I never understood why booze was always such a common and widely acceptable substance

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
This is whole lot to take in just one day.

Rip to the brothers and I wish is family, friends and fans a lot of love in this terrible moment.

I just lost my housemate at the start of the month, you would think that at my older age and knowing he was sick and on is way out, that it would have been easier to process.

I can’t imagine losing so much in such a sad and tragic way.

Call or hug your loved ones people.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Sticks out for Johnny and Matt

IMG_8311.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad