In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
The brothers were scheduled to be groomsmen at their sister Katies wedding today which has obviously been cancelled.

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I would be in favour for a 0 tolerance limit on alcohol. If you drink even a small glass, don't drive.
It won't eliminate the problem fully, but it might scare some people enough to reduce the problem.

Unless the reason for the limits is linked to the accuracy of the instruments to measure alcohol levels. But there's not reason to allow people to drive even if it's "a little bit". Because no one knows what their blood level is at, it leaves people responsible to decide if they drank enough or not - and something so dangerous to be left to the interpretation of people under influence is ridiculous.

While I also wouldn't trust someone operating a multi thousand pound machine under the influence of any alcohol, this tosser allegedly had six beers. He should barely be qualified to walk home alone let alone get in a car. Unbelievably he could get away from this with just a year in prison.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
I checked his Facebook, veteran, two very young daughters with him in almost all his pics, donating to charities. But yeah, everything you said can also be true at the same time.
I uhh, are you sure its the same guy? There is another Sean Higgins with a lot of charitable donation and two daughters who said it wasnt him involved last night.

Edit: Oh I see theres another one, neither really looks like this guy though....unless the second guy REALLY let himself go which would explain some things.

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Alcohol is just the absolute worst substance out there, too. I don't know how much more people can be educated on the dangers of alcohol abuse or drunk driving, but treatment for sure.

I never understood why booze was always such a common and widely acceptable substance
Personally, I don't think enough is done to educate people who are high-risk for alcohol abuse, or to educate people about the warning signs that they may be falling into alcohol addiction. Though I do understand skepticism toward the efficacy of more education considering how alcohol is accepted and promoted in our society.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Just horrific and awful.

Memory eternal to both. So sad for the family. I’ve never felt this way about the passing of somebody I didn’t know.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I would be in favour for a 0 tolerance limit on alcohol. If you drink even a small glass, don't drive.
It won't eliminate the problem fully, but it might scare some people enough to reduce the problem.

Unless the reason for the limits is linked to the accuracy of the instruments to measure alcohol levels. But there's not reason to allow people to drive even if it's "a little bit". Because no one knows what their blood level is at, it leaves people responsible to decide if they drank enough or not - and something so dangerous to be left to the interpretation of people under influence is ridiculous.
Absolutely not. And I say this as someone who was hit by a driver so drunk he passed out with his foot on the gas, t-boning me. You know what happened to him? Not a f***ing thing. I called the cops several times, nobody ever showed up. This prick lives a couple blocks away from me, I'd see him driving to work almost every day even after the crash.

However the solution isn't to punish everyone for the actions of the stupid few. Most people know their limits and stick within them. Lowering the tolerance to 0 only hurts those people. The other morons are still going to get obliterated and drive, as they've made it clear they don't care about the law. Punish those assholes harder. Don't make even more laws that only hurt the average law abiding citizen

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Out of curiosity is there some sort of insurance or something for his contract for his family?
I’m sure he had life insurance, and probably also accidental death or dismemberment. I’m sure his family will be taken care of one way or another.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Absolutely devastating, tragic and incomprehensible. My heart is aching for their family. This will be felt for generations for them. Just heart wrenching.

If the rumblings are true, it's even worse. For anyone that ever has a buddy that's had even 1 or 2 drinks and they say "I'm ok to drive", slap him in the head and take his keys. If that doesn't work slap him again, wrestle him to the ground, take his keys, and throw them far into a deep lake. It may cost you a friendship, but you're probably saving someone's life.
1-2 drinks, on average, isn't a lot of alcohol if you also wait a while (like an hour or 2) before driving.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I've been in the law enforcement world and these are the worst of the worst. Drunk drivers get away with it until they don't. I'm pretty sure JG had kids and now they don't get to have a father because this guy couldn't keep himself from getting f***ed up. Was probably listening to some rocking tunes as he ruined the lives of this poor man's family.

Will likely get about 10 - 20 years behind bars. "Justice"....

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Alcohol is just the absolute worst substance out there, too. I don't know how much more people can be educated on the dangers of alcohol abuse or drunk driving, but treatment for sure.

I never understood why booze was always such a common and widely acceptable substance

Even if someone wants to enjoy a few cocktails, DON'T DRIVE AFTER DRINKING. Call a taxi or Uber/Lyft, there is literally no excuse for getting behind the wheel in an inebriated state.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
What law is that?
not to distract from the tragedy but Md changed/added a law like 2017ish where you are allowed to pass a left turning car when a shoulder or pavement is present to the right but your not required to. Of course because of human nature this has evolved to people passing on the right at full speed around multiple cars waiting for a turning vehicle. The road I live off of is one lane each direction with a wide shoulder. In good weather you will see many bicyclists riding these shoulders. A few months ago sadly someone was hit in just this fashion and passed. This law has also allowed people to believe they can pass left turning vehicles at a traffic light. Logically on a one lane road where cars in opposing directions are both turning left this creates a very dangerous situation where the "shoulder riders" as they've come to be known are hitting these left turning vehicles. Happened just outside my house a month ago or so. im in the old man yelling at a cloud category but I dont see why we are in such a hurry that everyone on the road has to be endangered by this practice.

Reactions: Voight

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I checked his Facebook, veteran, two very young daughters with him in almost all his pics, donating to charities. But yeah, everything you said can also be true at the same time.

I don't feel bad for the guy whatsoever, but I also feel awful for his wife and kids. The dude is rightfully going to rot in prison and his family is also going to be ruined.

Just don't drink and drive people.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Personally, I don't think enough is done to educate people who are high-risk for alcohol abuse, or to educate people about the warning signs that they may be falling into alcohol addiction. Though I do understand skepticism toward the efficacy of more education considering how alcohol is accepted and promoted in our society.
That's fair.

I hate how acceptable it is. It's everywhere. People seem to have access to booze or are able to consume it almost everywhere they go now and it bugs me. I'm almost glad I grew up in an alcoholic family because it turned me off of booze very early.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California

Here come the insane hot takes.

This is horrendous news though. And also focus on the mega-aggressive lane weaving as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad