In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Such a devastating tragedy on a weekend that was supposed to be an extremely happy occasion. My heart goes out to the entire family for having to go through this. As a cyclist who recently spent time in the hospital because of a car turning left in front of me, this one hits so close to home and a reminder of how lucky I got.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
obviously we dont know yet but if you go to google maps in the area listed in the article it is a one lane road in each direction without a shoulder. Dont know how this guy tried to pass on the right. Was thinking because of Marylands extremely stupid pass on the shoulder law that this would be the situation that happened in this tragedy.

edit: just saw the above which makes it even worse. The SUV was safely passing the brothers and the ahole tried to pass the SUV (now in the middle of the road) on the right. insanely stupid

What law is that?

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
IMG_1591.jpeg

Reactions: RORbacon and Voight

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This death hit me harder than any celebrity or athlete death, I was praying it was false when the rumors came out last night.

I’ve been far too casual about driving after a few drinks myself, and these kind of events are a sobering reminder of what can happen if you do that. The driver deserves to rot in prison, don’t let that be you in the future.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Johnny was one of the greatest opponents I can remember and a huge reason for the amazing BoA rivalry us fans got to enjoy over the past decade. Everyime the puck touched his stick you expected magic. May his family find peace in their grieving. Tragic loss of both brothers. RIP

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Even this would get you a pretty hefty ticket in Ontario, probably in a few other areas as well.
Yeah there are jurisdictions in the US where looking at your phone even at a red light is illegal, but in my experience the cop nearby won't notice you on your phone because they are on theirs, too.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Living in Calgary and going to watch the Flames he was by far my favorite player to watch. It really hurts to think somebody so young is gone far to soon, I cant even imagine the pain of his loved ones.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
This stings - I watch a lot of College hockey and am always rooting for the players that come out of the NCAA system on a path to the NHL. Johnny was one of the very best to do that. His Hobey Baker year was something else. Since his draft and the jump to the league the NCAA system has been looked at as a more legitimate pipeline to the NHL - just look at Celebrini a near Johnny Gaudreau clone. Johnny was really a catalyst for this. Since that 2014 year the number of USA and College Hockey stars has grown again - and now even Canadian kids see it as a path . So I celebrate his short career in that respect and I hope remains remembered for that as his career fades into history.

RIP

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Father of three young kids here and this tore me to pieces. I also remember how much fun we had, specifically my brother and I, the weekend my sister got married and we were both groomsmen. This is the saddest news I can remember hearing in quite some... unimaginable levels of grief, pain, and anger for that poor family. Going to go hug my wife and kids for a while.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Such a terrible shock and tragedy. One of my all-time favorite players to watch and by all accounts a good guy. The circumstances and timing make it even more heart wrenching.

Reactions: luiginb

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Wow unbelievable I am just reading this now..
Condolences to his family and friends.
And to the Blue Jackets and Flames teams...totally shocked..

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Out of curiosity is there some sort of insurance or something for his contract for his family?

pont

Jul 1, 2019
Shocked. Hopefully this sends a message to those who drink and drive. On the other hand, those that do this are too stupid and selfish to care. RIP Johnny Hockey. :(

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Man when I saw this last night I went to bed hoping it wasn't true. Felt too surreal to make up though

Rest in peace Johnny and Matthew. Absolutely tragic event regardless of who was struck, but this will certainly have a lasting impact on hockey

I cannot imagine getting married after that. Their poor sister (and entire family and friends)

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Condolences to the family and especially to the parents, sister, wife, and children who have had their special day and lives upended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad