In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Wow, speed kills. Drunk or not I sadly see people driving like this all the time. People in a hurry, driving like lunatics. 95 corridor between Baltimore and NY is especially bad for whatever reason.

According to New Jersey State Police, Higgins, 43, from Woodstown, New Jersey, was traveling north on a county road in a Jeep Grand Cherokee behind a sedan and SUV.
Higgins tried to pass the slower-moving sedan and SUV, entered the southbound lanes, passed the slower-moving sedan, and tried to re-enter the northbound lanes, state troopers said. The SUV in front of Higgins moved to the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes to safely pass the Gaudreau brothers traveling north on the right side of the roadway.

Higgins then tried to pass the SUV on the right and struck the two bicyclists in the rear, the highway patrol said

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
RIP

He was a really nice guy. Some friends met him in public and he really took the time to say hi and talk for a few minutes. A memory they still talk about.

Poor Columbus. They lost a great hockey player and also a great person.

Fricken hate drunk drivers

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
This is absolutely insane, what a tragedy. I can’t even imagine what his family must be going through. I honestly don’t even have the words…I wasn’t a Flames fan, but as a Calgarian I grew to appreciate his skills, and he was a treat to watch. He was clearly a man that put family first, and now all of that was taken away. I haven’t read the whole thread, but if it’s true that a drunk driver did, I really hope they use this as an opportunity to start putting pressure on the legal system to punish these assholes more severely. It’s not a “whoopsie”, it’s a decision to endanger others.

Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Being a division rival you start to have a bit of hate on for guys on your rivals at times, but man did I feel gutted this morning reading this. Goes to show that there is more to life than just the game

Then to read the whole wedding angle it just makes it that much worse. Although I guess at least the family is all together and can mourn together.

RIP boys

Reactions: brentashton

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
They have some details of the accidemt on that report actually. Sounds like a few things wemt wrong.

But if you google maps that road they were on, there is 0 reason for cyclists to be on that road any time let alone at night. Absolutely 0 shoulder. Very dangerous .

Sounds like speed is going to be a factor to and negligence amobg other things
No offense but please. Potentially drunk and completely irresponsible. Another who thinks his time is more valuable than anyone else's. Had someone going crazy last night trying to get around me and the icer cream truck in front of me. Think about that for a minute.

Time for penalties to fit the crime.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Wow, speed kills. Drunk or not I sadly see people driving like this all the time. People in a hurry, driving like lunatics. 95 corridor between Baltimore and NY is especially bad for whatever reason.

According to New Jersey State Police, Higgins, 43, from Woodstown, New Jersey, was traveling north on a county road in a Jeep Grand Cherokee behind a sedan and SUV.
Higgins tried to pass the slower-moving sedan and SUV, entered the southbound lanes, passed the slower-moving sedan, and tried to re-enter the northbound lanes, state troopers said. The SUV in front of Higgins moved to the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes to safely pass the Gaudreau brothers traveling north on the right side of the roadway.

Higgins then tried to pass the SUV on the right and struck the two bicyclists in the rear, the highway patrol said
Jeez. It's haunting how one persons decisions - both to drive under the influence but also just to drive aggressively and pass slower moving vehicles - can reverberate with such unthinkable consequences. Surely the driver did not wake up that day intending to end innocent lives. But he did...and now there's an innocent family left to pick up the pieces and make sense of their lives.

Reactions: Klaus

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
obviously we dont know yet but if you go to google maps in the area listed in the article it is a one lane road in each direction without a shoulder. Dont know how this guy tried to pass on the right. Was thinking because of Marylands extremely stupid pass on the shoulder law that this would be the situation that happened in this tragedy.

edit: just saw the above which makes it even worse. The SUV was safely passing the brothers and the ahole tried to pass the SUV (now in the middle of the road) on the right. insanely stupid

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
This is just so so so so horrific. Cant imagine what the family and loved ones are going through right now.

To those trying to rationalize this as a mistake to have been biking, I hope your shoes get filled with Lego in perpetuity. Just about as bad as men trying to victim blame for sexual assault. Give your heads a ****ing shake

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021

^^^ wouldn’t be surprised if the dude saw the SUV pulling to the middle of the road, and thought the SUV was trying to prevent him from passing, so he accelerated and tried to zoom around him on the right. I’ve noticed people who drive like dicks tend to assume everyone else is trying to drive like dicks too.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
so so awful. heart goes out to their spouses, kids, and all their family. today was supposed to be their sisters best day of her life instead its the worst. i cant imagine what theyre going through

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Not to get off topic, but I would appreciate the NHL leading a campaign against drunk and dangerous driving. Sadly Johnny Hockey isn't the only NHL star killed by the actions of a drunk or reckless driver, not even in recent memory. I'd imagine there is significant overlap between the population who is most likely to drive drunk or dangerously and those who watch NHL hockey (specifically, young men).

All that said though my absolute deepest condolences to the Gaudreau family. What a completely awful and avoidable tragedy

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You think there aren't already deterrents?
I mean they could really easily reduce the amount of drunk drivers by installing breathalyzer in every vehicle from the factory and it would start to limit the amount of people on the roads.

I remember almost 5 years ago one manufacture was doing tests with having one in the vehicle that could sense alcohol, but seemed it was flawed if your passengers were all hammered.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Both scary and heartbreaking…
Driving drunk is not a joke, and now these two families will pay for it forever. f***ing awful.

Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad