In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It takes a lot for me to be in shock, I was in shock when I saw the news. Just a crazy nightmare rip

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I’m not sure if arguing about the validity of the driver being drunk or not and how drunk or not he was is useful, at this point.

If we jump to any conclusions it should be: be aware and respect bicyclists on the road (even if it annoys you), even if you are sober.

I am not a cyclist and I find when perfectly sober in the day a lot of situations involving automobiles and bicycles to be quite dangerous. Makes me wonder if this area had bike lanes. But sometimes drivers don’t even respect those.
I'm currently thinking of some backroads on which cyclists routinely have meet ups for morning rides. No bike lanes. No shoulders. Incredibly curving roads with drivers often speeding. Obviously those in vehicles should be extremely cautious, but we don't live in a society that takes driving as seriously as it should be taken. I really wish those cyclists could find a better area to bike. It sucks to put it on them, but I don't want to see any of them hit either.

Edit: in no way should what I said be construed as me blaming the Gaudreau brothers. It's just something I think about a lot, and has been on my mind since hearing about this.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
So as I understand it, a car was passing the Gaudreau brothers while this Higgins guy was trying to pass it from the left, and then he had the genius idea to pass it from the right and thus hit the bikers?

That's such dumbassery it's hard to even begin to imagine.
I hope he rots in jail for the rest of his irresponsible and useless life.

We don't know this
It's been reported. It's in the news article.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Yeah, not to get too newsy, the driver stayed on the scene

Here is the local story on the ground for anyone interested

They have some details of the accidemt on that report actually. Sounds like a few things wemt wrong.

But if you google maps that road they were on, there is 0 reason for cyclists to be on that road any time let alone at night. Absolutely 0 shoulder. Very dangerous .

Sounds like speed is going to be a factor to and negligence among other things

Last edited:
Reactions: BM14

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is just so f***ing tragic. That poor family, that's just an unimaginable loss.

All because of one asshole that couldn't stop himself from driving drunk.
No, all because the guy drove like an idiot.

Being drunk isn't a free pass to driving like a dumbass and I'm not a fan of this attitude where after you drink some alcohol you supposedly no longer are responsible for your actions. I'd even wager a guess that most drunk drivers aren't caught because they don't do this sort of dumbassery.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Felt sick reading the first reports of this last night, was praying it wasn't true. Terrible news, unthinkable tragedy. RIP

Reactions: fahad203

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Looked him up on FB. Former soldier with 2 young girls. Now those young girls will also grow up without a father in their lives. Don’t drink and drive.

I'm a Navy veteran, this guys a f***ing disgrace, going through the shit we went through doesn't give you the right to drink and be a POS scumbag, hope he does life in jail, my heart is broken for Johnny's poor children.

You Otter Be There

Oct 8, 2020
Pottstown, PA
Just feel bad for the whole family and the situation and to think today they were going to celebrate their sister getting married. Life is too short have to enjoy what you can. RIP

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Imagining the wife, she has half-year-old and a one-year-old babies who she now needs to take care of on her own while processing all this, hopefully she gets the help to get through this
If that wasnt bad enough losing two brothers two days before their sisters wedding. RIP to them both.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
When I first read the thread title this morning I thought this must be some kind of terrible, in bad taste, April Fools Day joke. I almost couldn't process it as being real.
This is awful. I'm gutted. RIP Johnny and Matt.

Last edited:

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Looked him up on FB. Former soldier with 2 young girls. Now those young girls will also grow up without a father in their lives. Don’t drink and drive.

There is no proof that is the guy. Please do not dox people...There is more than one individual with the name from this area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad