In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I ride 40+km 5 days a week and you couldn't pay me to ride on the main roads. Bike paths, parks, and slow residential roads only. Hell earlier this summer I almost got run over by an oncoming car driving on the wrong side of the road in a corner. The bikers who travel with traffic on busy roads have much bigger balls than I ever will.

Regarding alcohol and texting, there's nuance to it that's lost on the average person. If you know your limit it's OK to drive after a couple, but don't be getting behind the wheel completely obliterated. Using your phone while navigating through traffic? Dumbass move. Checking your phone on a quiet road, non-issue. And the overzealous cops giving tickets for texting at a red light prove that law isn't actually there for anyone's protection, that kind of abuse is nothing more than a quata meeting cashgrab.

What if this guy thought he knew his own limit, and that's why he got behind the wheel?

It's terrifying to me that a bunch of drunk idiots are out there telling themselves, "There's nuance to it that's lost on the average person. If you know your limit it's OK to drive after a couple".

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I heard that he tried to overtake a car from the right side. You kill two people because you can't wait a little moment. Stupidity and impatience.
That's what I mean. He tried passing two cars in the oncoming lane, already a hugely dangerous action, and then tried passing the second of those on the inside half of one lane.

Those actions are so flagrantly reckless that it's clear to me this asshole is a shitty driver both sober and drunk.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I heard that he tried to overtake a car from the right side. You kill two people because you can't wait a little moment. Stupidity and impatience.
He tried to overtake on the right because the guy he was trying to overtake drifted to the left to give room to the cyclists.

Beyond f***ing stupid to overtake on the right.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
It's really sad how careless society is about drunk driving. Drive by any bar with a parking lot and you'll see a lot full of cars of people that are about to break the law. People just think this kind of thing will never happen to them.

Mix that with the state society is in... meaning every time I'm on the road I encounter people driving recklessly... and everyone is agitated and angry. I can't tell you how many times here in NJ I'm going 70 in a 65 in the right lane and have someone so far up my ass I can't see their headlights.

Turns out alcohol was heavily involved in this case... but if it wasn't, I wouldn't be surprised. That impatient aggressive maneuver the guy did in this case I see every day.

RIP to Johnny and Matthew and man I just feel beyond horrible for that family.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
oh boy that road
1725033327633.png

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Thats actually why the current president and his predecessor are teetotalers. They had alcoholics in their families and it turned them away from the booze.
Never ceases to amaze me how baffled some people are when you tell them you don't drink.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
What if this guy thought he knew his own limit, and that's why he got behind the wheel?

It's terrifying to me that a bunch of drunk idiots are out there telling themselves, "There's nuance to it that's lost on the average person. If you know your limit it's OK to drive after a couple".
When I say knowing their limit, I'm talking about the amount of alcohol that gets their blood-alcohol levels within the legal limit in their jurisdiction. Not a random amount that still feels ok to drive.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Giving cyclists a bit of room isn't an act of kindness. On a country road, you basically have to. The lane is theirs and you have to pass them. Otherwise you could clip them with your mirror or run them over completely
I now see pictures if that road. You're totally right. I thought these roads had a bigger shoulder.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
This is so f***ed up. Life is so unfair sometimes.

So I'm assuming the driver passed on the shoulder because the vehicle infront of him was driving slowly to respect the cyclists?

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG

Yup. And there are studies relating to split attention which demonstrate why it is so dangerous to operate a motor vehicle distracted by a cellphone. I'd rather not take my chances at all while operating a multi-thousand pound hunk of metal that can kill someone or cause millions of property damage by the push of a gas pedal. Pull over and check your phone if it's so important.

Reactions: mix1home

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
So senseless death. One would go to early morning practices, training, other city’s tournaments on weekends, practically no free time, selections and negotiations, fearless nhl competition at highest speeds and skill levels… only to be killed by lowlife drunkhead. Shocking. Not fair.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He tried to overtake on the right because the guy he was trying to overtake drifted to the left to give room to the cyclists.

Beyond f***ing stupid to overtake on the right.

Yeah let's not ignore the drunk aspect here, but the moves this guy made are beyond "he was driving drunk". This guy was just a massively reckless and moronic driver, it's just the booze made him even more brazen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad