In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
not to distract from the tragedy but Md changed/added a law like 2017ish where you are allowed to pass a left turning car when a shoulder or pavement is present to the right but your not required to. Of course because of human nature this has evolved to people passing on the right at full speed around multiple cars waiting for a turning vehicle. The road I live off of is one lane each direction with a wide shoulder. In good weather you will see many bicyclists riding these shoulders. A few months ago sadly someone was hit in just this fashion and passed. This law has also allowed people to believe they can pass left turning vehicles at a traffic light. Logically on a one lane road where cars in opposing directions are both turning left this creates a very dangerous situation where the "shoulder riders" as they've come to be known are hitting these left turning vehicles. Happened just outside my house a month ago or so. im in the old man yelling at a cloud category but I dont see why we are in such a hurry that everyone on the road has to be endangered by this practice.

f*** these law makers. I swear, motorists are the most privileged, coddled class of people in the world. If you want to kill someone, do it as a motorist, you will literally get away with murder.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There are some days when you wake up and should count your blessings for being alive by hearing your heartbeat. This is one of those days, which reminds us all that death can take anyone at any age, even if it was no fault of our own.

I pray for Gaudreau, his family, his wife, his kids, his parents, and his extended family. I am in the healthcare field and have been in tough moments like these. No words can describe this loss to his family, but also to the hockey world. We are a cult sport with not the biggest following, so a tragedy like this impacts everywhere and reaches every rink from New Jersey to Mongolia.

RIP.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I’m always amazed the crazy, dangerous things people do to save 30 seconds.

Just horrible news to wake up to.
usually ends up being 0 seconds anyway, can't tell you how many times i've been the guy to stop at the red light as a car blasts through it in front of me, just to casually pull in behind them at the next red light..

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Man, what a tragedy. Rest in peace Johnny and Mathew. Heart is sure heavy today. Prayers to the entire family and friends.

Johnny was electric. Absolutely loved when they played Johnny be good when Johnny would bury one.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
What information outthere do we have on the driver?

Was he drunk?

He was yes.

In disbelief over this horrendous and completely avoidable tragedy. RIP to Johnny and Matthew and my heart goes out to their family and the wider community.

f*** you Sean Higgins

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
A stark reminder about the realities of the universe who cares not about the emotional connections we as humans create, harbor, and cherish with those we know and even those we don't. Life can change in the blink of an eye. The fact this happened the day before the sister's wedding almost makes the totality of the tragedy seem surreal to the point where you can only ask yourself, "how could this happen?" only to be met with the harsher reality that this was merely a bad choice by a single person.

Having lost a few good buddies, there's always this pain, knowing that you must move forward. You have to. But knowing today that you have to get up tomorrow and face another day without them, which is this seemingly never-ending state of despair. Sometimes, it heals over time; sometimes, a hole is left inside you forever. There is no pain like the pain of loss. As incomprehensible as it is to imagine what the mother, father, and wife are going through with this loss, I know the hardest part rests on the shoulders of his wife to explain to the two kids what has happened.

The world definitely feels a lot less bright today. It's going to be less bright tomorrow and forever without Johnny. It's up to all of us to work on shining a bit brighter to make up for it.

Last edited:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Just straight up murder

64iqekj.png

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
Such an enormously sad day for the hockey world no matter what team you cheer for. Thoughts go out to his entire family, no words can describe what they must be going through.

As a Flames fan and also being the same age as Johnny, I followed him all the way from being an exciting young prospect to being the face of a franchise and heartbeat for the entire city during his time here. I felt like we grew into adulthood together even though I obviously didnt know him personally, and he ushered in an entire era of exciting Flames hockey for me. It's unthinkable and devastating to know he's gone in such a tragic circumstance and way too early. Life is f**kin' short wow.

Thanks for all the great memories Johnny, rest in peace forever with your brother. ❤️

Reactions: Narcissus

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
this kind of stuff is the reason i have to load up my bike into my stupid truck and drive it somewhere safe to ride. i hate that i have to do that but riding on the street is just so unsafe nowadays between the drunks, the phones and the people in a mindless hurry. so sad and pointless.

Davis CA is the only town I've ever felt 100% safe riding a bike in, but that's because the whole place was built with biking in mind. Dedicated bike paths all over the place, wide bike lanes, etc.. I strongly considered moving there once I had kids, so they'd have a safe way to get around without me having to drive them.

Hard to "retrofit" places that have already been built up.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
What if this guy thought he knew his own limit, and that's why he got behind the wheel?

It's terrifying to me that a bunch of drunk idiots are out there telling themselves, "There's nuance to it that's lost on the average person. If you know your limit it's OK to drive after a couple".
Well legally there is a line and no nuance. I think the other poster's point is under that legal line there is some nuance. Some people could have a glass of wine and an hour later be in no condition to drive. Some people could have 2 beers and 30 minutes later be "fine" to drive. And both well under the legal limit. In terms of the degree of how much of a danger a driver is I can tell you right now plenty of 100% sober drivers are significantly more dangerous than plenty of people who "drive drunk." Should terrible sober drivers be scrutinized more?

All that said, I have zero tolerance for anyone getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle above the legal limit. Punishments for it are way too lenient in my view. Don't care if it's somebody at .09 driving a half mile from their buddy's house to their own.

Personally I don't drink that much anyways but will never drive at all after drinking more than 1 beer and with just 1 beer, only at least an hour after drinking it. If I'm attending an NHL game live I'll have a beer either just before puck drop or in 1st INT then stop drinking if I'm driving. I would say that falls under the "nuance" discussion.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah let's not ignore the drunk aspect here, but the moves this guy made are beyond "he was driving drunk". This guy was just a massively reckless and moronic driver, it's just the booze made him even more brazen.
If he’s sober there’s a chance he brakes in time to avoid killing one of the brothers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad