In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What absolutely horrible news. I'm so devastated right now.

Deepest condolences go out to the family.

What a nonsensical way to lose such a good person who put his family above all else.

Hug your loved ones. You'll never know when is the last time.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
RIP to both of them, I can't believe this is happening.

I'm so sick of reckless drivers, man. It's worse than it has ever been.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just straight up murder

64iqekj.png

I know driving drunk is already bad, but the act of literally drinking beer while you're driving drunk makes it even worse. Both are horrible, but continuing to drink while you drive is even worse.

Let this guy rot in prison.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If he was sober he probably brakes in time to avoid killing one of the brothers, assuming they were travelling in a line.

If he was sober, he wouldn't have attempted to aggressively pass a vehicle on the right side (shoulder).

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I know driving drunk is already bad, but the act of literally drinking beer while you're driving drunk makes it even worse. Both are horrible, but continuing to drink while you drive is even worse.

The vehicular homicide laws are pretty lax, doubt he spends all that much time behind bars considering what he's done.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Rest easy Johnny and Matthew. A sad, sad day for the sport and especially the city of Columbus.

Can’t stop thinking of the families this morning. Gut wrenching.

Reactions: Realgud

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I did not expect my Friday to start like this. It was avoidable and unfortunate. In today's day and age, there is no reason not to take an Uber, call a cab, etc. Even if that is not an option, call someone.

I dislike driving in general but I will never understand the sheer selfishness of not using another means of transportation if you've been drinking. Ridiculously avoidable and the risk and consequences are immense.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I will say that biking at night is never a good idea. This is a lesson to have lights on your bike and reflective high-vis vests.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I will say that biking at night is never a good idea. This is a lesson to have lights on your bike and reflective high-vis vests.

That would have made zero difference in this case.

The lesson here for cyclists are "drivers in this country are assholes and you're only safe by biking where there aren't cars". Being in a bike lane or shoulder or wearing reflective vests do nothing in this kind of situation.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I remember seeing these in NC:

1725034980948.jpeg

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Yeah. I understand being anti-drinking and driving, but having literally one drink over a one hour dinner will probably have you almost at 0%.

My rule is one drink. That's it. Any more, I don't drive.
1-2 drinks is typically my average when I know I'm driving after, and even then, I usually wait a while before driving.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
What a horrific loss for that family. To lose two sons right before your daughter's wedding.

Killing or injuring cyclists often gets sickeningly light punishment. There's often the implicit or even sometimes explicit fault put on the cyclists simply for being on the road. Hopefully with the alcohol involved the driver will actually receive appropriate punishment for a double murder.

RIP to the Gaudreaus. Condolences to their family.

Man what a sad sad day.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Johnny, 31, and Matthew, 29, were traveling north on County Route 551, close to the line on the side of the roadway.
Police say 43-year-old Sean M. Higgins, of Woodstown, New Jersey, was traveling north on County Route 551 in a Jeep Grand Cherokee when he allegedly attempted to pass a slower-moving sedan and SUV.
Police say Higgins entered the southbound lanes of the roadway and passed the sedan.
When he attempted to reenter the northbound lanes, police say the SUV in front of him moved into the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes in order to safely pass two bicyclists on the right side of the road.
Higgins then attempted to pass the SUV on the right and struck the Gaudreau brothers from behind, troopers said.
The Gaudreau brothers died from their injuries, according to state police.
According to the police affidavit, the trooper who arrived on the scene detected a "strong odor of alcohol," and Higgins allegedly told the trooper he had consumed "five to six beers" before the crash.
Higgins allegedly told investigators that he thought the driver of the SUV was trying to stop him from passing. Higgins told investigators that his consumption of alcohol contributed to his impatience and reckless driving, according to the criminal complaint.
The trooper also said Higgins then failed a field sobriety test.

My god. I am so angry.

what an idiot

jesus

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Such a PoS the driver

You always give right of way to a smaller vehicle when on a small backdoor road

18 wheeler is extra reserved and cautious around SYVs and Sedans, SUV is careful against a sedan 5 seater

And bike riders you drop your speed and make sure to only pass them at safe and reasonable speed where no collisuion risk is noted

f*** this guy for drinking and driving. He killed 2 dudes tragically young due to his arrogance

Punishments for drunk driving & distracted driving which result in loss of life need to be extremeley severe to the point of scaring potential criminals from drunk/distracted driving again

RIP to the gaudreau's and may their sister and family have patience and strength to go through this

Reactions: behemolari

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad