News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I don’t even want to give this idiot the excuse of alcohol. He was probably an aggressive/bad driver to start with. Probably have made this type of passing manoeuvres while sober, so he thinks he can do it.

Bad driving is bad driving that should also be condemned, along with DD.
I have zero sympathy/empthy/respect/time for drinking and driving, but you're right.

People forget that they're driving a machine that's capable of not only killing everyone inside of it, but those around as well.

I'm 100% the first person to tell you that I'm the guy who yells and swears when someone cuts me off. Hell, I swear under my breath if the asshole in front doesn't wave after I let them in. But that's where it stops and it doesn't change the way I drive whatsoever. Honestly, everyone needs to calm the f*** down out there on the roads these days. I swear, I see an "almost" accident every single time I'm on the road now.

But you're right. Take the booze away and the guy still made an idiotic choice. We need to penalize and enforce idiots like this to a much fuller extent, especially for uncontested negligence.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Really? Educate yourself.

DUI drivers getting released, or not charged at all, or at large, driving. Killing people.

Even in this specific instance the driver had prior suspension and charges due to DUI.

We need to do a better job of protecting civilians from this carnage.

Orgs like MAAD would disagree with your take. They've had to lobby hard for decades to try to make changes, legal changes and the work is endless.

The vehicular homicide is an individual crime. But societal problems are involved.
For any wrestling fans out there who may remember her, Tammy Sytch (manager "Sunny" in the 90s) was given 17 years for DUI Manslaughter, among other charges. She had a number of transgressions in the past so they may have thrown the book at her harder than they would give a first time offender, but I wonder if this idiot with prior DUI charges and suspension killing two people will result in a stiff sentence. I sure hope so.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For any wrestling fans out there who may remember her, Tammy Sytch (manager "Sunny" in the 90s) was given 17 years for DUI Manslaughter, among other charges. She had a number of transgressions in the past so they may have thrown the book at her harder than they would give a first time offender, but I wonder if this idiot with prior DUI charges and suspension killing two people will result in a stiff sentence. I sure hope so.
She was pretty lucky to only get 17 years considering her record.

I also thought Florida was tougher on DUI causing death, so 17 did seem light

She was also one of those people where if you do ban her for life from driving or owning a vehicle that it really wouldn't matter. The way she was headed only life in jail was going to protect the public from her

Reactions: oilers'72

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
This is good as well. But its dissuaded as it potentially promotes the seriousness of DUI drivers making getaways, to get away, and high speed chases while impaired. Its the trouble that every action can have an undesired consequence.

But like I said elsewhere nothing would prevent a drunk driver from just having a vehicle without a license or registration or insurance or anything.

I think there should also be a dui registry like the s*x offender registry so if you're trying to buy a car from a dealership you'll get flagged. Sure you can still go the private sale route, but any barrier is a good one in this case.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think you'll be there a bit longer than Thursday.

1st degree DUI Manslaughter can come with 10 - 20 years in New Jersey, if my Google-Fu has given me correct information. Hopefully "Thursday" for this arsehole becomes Thursday, September 4, 2064.

She was pretty lucky to only get 17 years considering her record.

I also thought Florida was tougher on DUI causing death, so 17 did seem light
Her record, and the fact that she not only killed someone, but injured a number of others. 17 years wasn't enough, but she'd gotten off light her entire life, so 17 years seems like a lot to the nothing from the rest of her life. Regardless, I don't want to take this discussion into this direction, so I'm done commenting on her.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm guessing Johnny and his brother probably went biking on those roads a lot as kids as it was their home town? May have biked up and down those roads all the time and never thought anything like that would happen.

The whole thing is so sad.
It keeps getting more and more sad, learning that they were home for their sister's wedding, learning that Matthew's widow is pregnant with their first child....it just keeps getting more tragic the more we hear about it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think there should also be a dui registry like the s*x offender registry so if you're trying to buy a car from a dealership you'll get flagged. Sure you can still go the private sale route, but any barrier is a good one in this case.

I don't think you can leave a car dealership with a new vehicle unless you show them registration and have a plate for the vehicle, and you can't get those without going to a registry who wouldn't issue these to a person on a suspended license, so I'm not sure this isn't essentially already in place with the current process.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm guessing Johnny and his brother probably went biking on those roads a lot as kids as it was their home town?

The whole thing is so sad.
That was my thinking too. Like they got together for this wedding and wanted to do a throwback bike ride for old times as two brothers who used to ride together growing up. Made me think of my childhood actually. So incredibly tragic this whole situation.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
There is a system, either way you would have to register it.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I'd like to know too. I don't see any "lynch mob" forming on the mains. Lot's of people upset and mourning and calling out drunk driving. Similar to here, but more people who are upset (Flames fans and Columbus fans).
What's going on?

Jumptheshark was defending the driver on the main boards and people didn't respond positively to it.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
the lynch mob forming on he main board is a joke. It was 1 hour after sunset on a non main road. This story is far from over
I support due process just as much as anyone else, the driver is presumed innocent and deserves a fair trial and strong defence....

But I mean c'mon man.... is that really where you want to plant your flag? And if you do fair enough, but pushback is going to happen..... our society jumps to conclusions with a lot less evidence than what there is here. You cannot be surprised.

This is a tragedy, and the focus should be on mourning and the scourge that is drunk driving. Any other crusades should expect to be met with resistance and deservingly so.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Brutal for the Goudreaus

Here's what happened and has happened to me numerous times doing scada work in O&G

SUV was driving. Came up on the Goudreau brothers. Instead of using the brakes just slowed down by removing their foot from the gas. Drunk was driving and because of SUV not using brakes did not alter speed. (This happens many times to people when tail lights arent turned on (See Rear ends on HWY2)) Drunk went to pass SUV. SUV pulled into left lane/Middle to avoid Goudreaus. Drunk went back into this lane and slightly to the shoulder to avoid hitting SUV. Unfortunately Goudreaus were there.

Instead of People biking its usually Locals wandering on the highway

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
the lynch mob forming on he main board is a joke. It was 1 hour after sunset on a non main road. This story is far from over
Is it far from over though? He hit and killed two people and then admitted he was drunk driving. (Which he has a history of) Seems pretty black and white to me.

Sure he deserves a fair trial but he definitely doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad