News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Mandated substance abuse treatment, incarceration if necessary to achieve that for repeat offenders. Required ignition detection devices be installed in vehicle. Probation, Drug alcohol testing mandated as part of probation. Things like that.

How about we take their f*king cars away? First DUI, your car gets impounded for a year. Second offence, you're banned from owning a vehicle for life. But for some reason we accord drivers, drunk and otherwise, a level of leniency that would be outrageous in other circumstances.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
My take is that we'd be much better off if more people had the experiences of getting around on foot and/or on bike more regularly as opposed to just driving. At least personally, being on the other end of the power imbalance, and infrastructure designed to prioritize the convenience of vehicles has made me more careful and aware when driving. Waiting 10 extra seconds to pass someone safely can be the difference between life and death.

I sometime use the analogy of a driving a forklift or hauling pallets in a storeroom with other employees around on foot. You bet I'm going to be extra careful everywhere I'm going, despite it being common sense to give way.
I mean I get what you are saying, but in a city like Edmonton it just doesn't work.

Now there are other options. If you are going to be able to afford to drink then you can afford an uber or a cab

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How about we take their f*king cars away? First DUI, your car gets impounded for a year. Second offence, you're banned from owning a vehicle for life. But for some reason we accord drivers, drunk and otherwise, a level of leniency that would be outrageous in other circumstances.
I mean it works to some degree, but you still have a lot of the hard core drunks that won't give a shit and will drive a vehicle without license, insurance and registration.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Edit: Was already posted.

"So I'm here until Thursday?" Might just be asking the questions about what's happening next, but the guy seems more concerned about having to stay in jail over the weekend than the fact that his selfish decisions led to the death of two people.

f*** off.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
These are grown adults. Take some responsibility for your actions. Blaming any level of society, and to be honest anyone else besides the driver, is an absolute joke.

There is an endless amount of public information available of horrific deaths. Families being destroyed. Kids, parents, grandparents dead.

It does not take a high level of comprehension to understand if you drink too much and drive, you run the risk of killing someone. It's precisely why the law is in place.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that anyone is saying the driver isn't at fault. Clearly they are, but there's value in taking steps as a society to take away that choice to the extent that we can while also protecting the rest of us from such bad actors.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I think it's older people causing the crashes though, younger people don't drink as much period, the whole "you're not cool unless you get hammered at house parties and the club every weekend" isn't as much of a thing anymore with younger kids.

And sure enough the guy who did this is ... 43 ... a product of the 90s/2000s.
Soundwave, I know you to be a reasonable poster on these pages. Tell me you realize that driving under the influence includes consuming other products than just alcohol, right?

I’d encourage you to provide some confirmed data that supports this type of assertion that it’s “older people” who are causing DUI crashes. It’s a pretty big swing to make this claim.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that anyone is saying the driver isn't at fault. Clearly they are, but there's value in taking steps as a society to take away that choice to the extent that we can while also protecting the rest of us from such bad actors.

I have never argued the fact that he isn't stating the driver is at fault. I am arguing the bullshit mental gymnastics going on here to try and pass a portion of the blame on to someone or something else other than the driver.

It is the drivers sole responsibility to bear in 100% of cases. It is the choice made by the individual, when there is ALWAYS, literally ALWAYS, an alternative option that doesn't put peoples lives at risk.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Just watched a Flames pod. They were talking about when was the last superstar in any sport to lose their life in their prime?

That really hit me. There really aren't many. Pelle Lindberg? Payne Stewart?

Tragic. RIP.
Bourdon was the big one in the NHL 15 years or so. But he was a young up-and-coming player, not a superstar.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The individual blame clearly rests on the guy who decided to drink and drive.

But we as a society would be better off relying less on cars.

Societies should be promoting shared modes of transportation, walking, biking and actually connecting with your neighbors rather than secluding yourself in a metal box for most of your life.

Not sure what’s so crazy about my take here. The only reason we rely on cars so much is because the automotive industry took off and people made a lot of money.

Cars are objectively bad for society. And yes so are drunk drivers

Probably. But as long as the option exists for someone to do something reckless and dangerous, people will probably do it.
wreckless dangerous and illegal. This is like saying a pilot flying while drunk and crashing is the fault of the society which has become reliant on travel by air. You blame the drunk pilot who breaks the law and not the passengers who have to fly because the world is big and people like to get around places fast.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Soundwave, I know you to be a reasonable poster on these pages. Tell me you realize that driving under the influence includes consuming other products than just alcohol, right?

I’d encourage you to provide some confirmed data that supports this type of assertion that it’s “older people” who are causing DUI crashes. It’s a pretty big swing to make this claim.
It's actually the opposite. Worked with actuaries who pull exactly this data. The largest percentage of drinking and driving incidents, either in relation to death of the driver, death of passengers, death of external to vehicle individuals along with arrests are within the 18-24 bracket. Second highest is between 24-35.

There's multiple resources online to verify this.

For fatal crashes, I believe it's the highest between 24-35.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
What the f*** are you talking about?

If you make the decision to get behind the wheel after having too many drinks, you are personally accepting the fact that you may kill someone. You may ruin a family. You may ruin peoples lives.

Weigh the pros and cons. Taking an uber home and maybe having to leave a little early in the morning to go pick up your vehicle so you can make it into work, or hop in a vehicle and run the risk of ruining your life and destroying someone elses life/family.

You are unquestionably a piece of shit if having a vehicle in your driveway to get to work in the morning versus finding a way to pick it up in the morning is worth the chances of ending someone's life.
As if its not normal here. No one really think this way unless really hammered. Many claim they drive better when theyve had a few beers and puffs. Atleast that is how it was back in my NAIT days.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This is good as well. But its dissuaded as it potentially promotes the seriousness of DUI drivers making getaways, to get away, and high speed chases while impaired. Its the trouble that every action can have an undesired consequence.

But like I said elsewhere nothing would prevent a drunk driver from just having a vehicle without a license or registration or insurance or anything.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Edit: Was already posted.

"So I'm here until Thursday?" Might just be asking the questions about what's happening next, but the guy seems more concerned about having to stay in jail over the weekend than the fact that his selfish decisions led to the death of two people.

f*** off.
Probably should put an ankle bracelet on the guy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

1.) I've had the unfortunate experience of being hit by a drunk driver myself, rear ended at a stop sign in the dead of night, dick face was so hammered he just walked over to the cop car when the cops arrived and passed out in the back of the squad car. Thankfully other than having a stiff neck from whiplash for a few days no one was hurt (at least in my car, don't know what happened to the drunk driver as I never saw him again).

I actually have not thought about that for many years, until this morning sadly.

2.) My point was simply that younger people don't drink as much these days and there's a lot of talk about it actually:

I don't think for this generation of kids drinking in general is glorified as much. I think it was more glorified in the 80s/90s/2000s.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
1.) I've had the unfortunate experience of being hit by a drunk driver myself, rear ended at a stop sign in the dead of night, dick face was so hammered he just walked over to the cop car when the cops arrived and passed out in the back of the squad car. Thankfully other than having a stiff neck from whiplash for a few days no one was hurt (at least in my car, don't know what happened to the drunk driver as I never saw him again).

I actually have not thought about that for many years, until this morning sadly.

2.) My point was simply that younger people don't drink as much these days and there's a lot of talk about it actually:

I don't think for this generation of kids drinking in general is glorified as much. That's more of 80s/90s/2000s thing.
Drinking is lower for Gen Z's for sure, but it's only one substance of what could constitute DUI/DWIs.

commie

Jul 30, 2005
General statement, but if you drink and drink, f*** you. The end. There's no grey area about it.

I don’t even want to give this idiot the excuse of alcohol. He was probably an aggressive/bad driver to start with. Probably have made this type of passing manoeuvres while sober, so he thinks he can do it.

Bad driving is bad driving that should also be condemned, along with DD.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Unfortunately, this crap happens every single day to someone, or people, all over the world. If nothing else, when a celebrity is taken from us, the light shines more brightly on the subject and awareness kicks up several notches. Let's hope their deaths weren't entirely in vain and that somewhere, somehow this tragedy prevents others from taking the same stupid action.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It's actually the opposite. Worked with actuaries who pull exactly this data. The largest percentage of drinking and driving incidents, either in relation to death of the driver, death of passengers, death of external to vehicle individuals along with arrests are within the 18-24 bracket. Second highest is between 24-35.

There's multiple resources online to verify this.

For fatal crashes, I believe it's the highest between 24-35.
Thank you for posting this. That is what I thought.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Just watched a Flames pod. They were talking about when was the last superstar in any sport to lose their life in their prime?

That really hit me. There really aren't many. Pelle Lindberg? Payne Stewart?

Tragic. RIP.
Kobe. He wasn't in the prime of his career, but he absolutely was in the prime of his life, and it was cut short due to an accident. It has to be mentioned in any discussion of sports superstars losing their life tragically young.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I don't think for this generation of kids drinking in general is glorified as much. I think it was more glorified in the 80s/90s/2000s.
All fair points.

I’m sorry to hear that you have had to experience this. I’m glad you were able move through the physical and emotional scars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad