News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Is it far from over though? He hit and killed two people and then admitted he was drunk driving. (Which he has a history of) Seems pretty black and white to me.

Sure he deserves a fair trial but he definitely doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt.

If the drunk had a dash cam this could very well go a completely opposite direction

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Based on this logic, any groups that are trying to reduce DUI incidents (MADD, AA) should just give up. If it’s all on the driver, what’s the point?

I guess you missed the part where I said it’s primarily the drivers fault multiple times lol. Either 0% or 100% with some of you

Bad actors will always exist. I don’t believe that you should just put your hands up and accept that you can’t do anything to mitigate their actions

You started this whole thing by saying cars were an issue.

Human beings are far from perfect creatures. People will make stupid, selfish and irresponsible decisions no matter what safeguards society has in place.

In this specific case I’m not sure what “society” could have done to prevent drunken dickhead from getting behind the wheel and passing a car on the right on a narrow road at night.

Your striving for perfection in an imperfect world.

I’m tired of people blaming society for individuals stupid actions. Society has zero bearing in this. This is 110% on the driver.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Soundwave, I know you to be a reasonable poster on these pages. Tell me you realize that driving under the influence includes consuming other products than just alcohol, right?

I’d encourage you to provide some confirmed data that supports this type of assertion that it’s “older people” who are causing DUI crashes. It’s a pretty big swing to make this claim.

Your joking right?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
You started this whole thing by saying cars were an issue.

Human beings are far from perfect creatures. People will make stupid, selfish and irresponsible decisions no matter what safeguards society has in place.

In this specific case I’m not sure what “society” could have done to prevent drunken dickhead from getting behind the wheel and passing a car on the right on a narrow road at night.

Your striving for perfection in an imperfect world.

I’m tired of people blaming society for individuals stupid actions. Society has zero bearing in this. This is 110% on the driver.
i think cars ARE an issue. But in a more broad sense; not specifically tied to this one issue but DUIs in general. I just thought it was relevant enough to bring up.

I don’t think society is perfect - there’s always room for improvement. Will things like this happen anyway? Probably. But I think it’s our responsibility to try and minimize these types of accidents as much as possible.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
i think cars ARE an issue. But in a more broad sense; not specifically tied to this one issue but DUIs in general. I just thought it was relevant enough to bring up.

I don’t think society is perfect - there’s always room for improvement. Will things like this happen anyway? Probably. But I think it’s our responsibility to try and minimize these types of accidents as much as possible.

And I think we do a pretty good job in that regard.

There was a day when drinking and driving was not considered a big deal. Thanks largely in part to highly visible awareness campaigns society no longer accepts any form of intoxication behind the wheel.

As for vehicles, licences are regulated, roads have speed limits, vehicles have become much more safe and far less polluting in the past 3-4 decades. Give AI some years to develop and vehicles will be driving themselves with even far fewer accidents.

But taking vehicles away is unrealistic. Our society has the standard of living it does in large part due to the rapid and efficient movement of people, goods and services.

Plus I love my BMW so there’s that. :nod:

Anyway a tough day today, we probably have a lot more in agreement than not in the end. Cheers

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Soon we may have auto piloted cars, which I don't know if they are a good idea at this point. Autopilot would presumably stay behind the other car.

Musks cars would theoretically have enough cameras to override a dumb driver move like this perhaps. But I wouldn't want to put all trust in full auto pilot.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don't think you can leave a car dealership with a new vehicle unless you show them registration and have a plate for the vehicle, and you can't get those without going to a registry who wouldn't issue these to a person on a suspended license, so I'm not sure this isn't essentially already in place with the current process.
Suspect car dealerships exist. Or informal ones, or informal sales of such etc. People can get anything they want black market and easy, and they can get a vehicle to drive. Again nothing really seems to deter drunk drivers. Some will continue to drive without a license, without insurance etc.

Lets not forget how strong buddy network is. Its crazy that people will take liability for others but it happens. Some people will even buy a car for somebody else with their insurance and registration. Crazy I know.

I had an episode with a drunk driver that totalled our vehicle and injured myself and my wife. He didn't have his own insurance, wasn't his own vehicle, and he was being allowed to drive a company vehicle despite several DUI's having even been incarcerated for same. Of course the company that was allowing this guy a vehicle to drive got eviscerated. Of course he was hammered out of his head on a Friday night having spent several hours pounding them back. The guy is so hammered he can't even talk properly. I had to several times tell the police to write him up for dui. Was ridiculous I even had to get them to do this. The same police were trying to get us both to give information in the backseat of the same police car. All I wanted to do was assault the guy. Imagine them expecting us to share details in presence of the other. Anyway.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

Ah man that’s the type of stuff that gets me stirred up. The respect and acknowledgement of the Gaudreau brothers and their family.

I just made a big post in the Around the league thread, but it’s good that the Gaudreaus left such a positive influence on so many people. Their kids will have lots of friends over the years sharing happy memories of their dads.

Reactions: oilers'72

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Soon we may have auto piloted cars, which I don't know if they are a good idea at this point. Autopilot would presumably stay behind the other car.

Musks cars would theoretically have enough cameras to override a dumb driver move like this perhaps. But I wouldn't want to put all trust in full auto pilot.
If all cars are self driving they wouldn’t even need to rely as much on cameras to avoid accidents. All vehicles would be networked, traffic would flow seamlessly, accidents would be probably very rare. Like it would be a real system at a certain point, not a bunch of individuals scrambling around.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Suspect car dealerships exist. Or informal ones, or informal sales of such etc. People can get anything they want black market and easy, and they can get a vehicle to drive. Again nothing really seems to deter drunk drivers. Some will continue to drive without a license, without insurance etc.

Lets not forget how strong buddy network is. Its crazy that people will take liability for others but it happens. Some people will even buy a car for somebody else with their insurance and registration. Crazy I know.

I had an episode with a drunk driver that totalled our vehicle and injured myself and my wife. He didn't have his own insurance, wasn't his own vehicle, and he was being allowed to drive a company vehicle despite several DUI's having even been incarcerated for same. Of course the company that was allowing this guy a vehicle to drive got eviscerated. Of course he was hammered out of his head on a Friday night having spent several hours pounding them back. The guy is so hammered he can't even talk properly. I had to several times tell the police to write him up for dui. Was ridiculous I even had to get them to do this. The same police were trying to get us both to give information in the backseat of the same police car. All I wanted to do was assault the guy. Imagine them expecting us to share details in presence of the other. Anyway.
It’s kinda the same thing as gun laws, criminals find their ways while law abiding citizens are the ones that suffer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If all cars are self driving they wouldn’t even need to rely as much on cameras to avoid accidents. All vehicles would be networked, traffic would flow seamlessly, accidents would be probably very rare. Like it would be a real system at a certain point, not a bunch of individuals scrambling around.

You would need cameras for pedestrian traffic, animals jumping out on the road way, etc. etc. etc.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The messed up thing is how fast would this guy have had to be going to kill 2 people from a rear impact? Either he was flooring it or he tried to stop at the last second right before impact which make have been even worse.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Stop bringing hockey into this when someone dies. No I didn't want him on the oilers. Way too soft and disappeared in playoffs. The only thing that should be brought up is how tragic and senseless this was. 2 bothers killed and taken away from a loving family. This had zero to do with kissing ass after someone dies and talking about how great he was.He wasn't great and we didn't want him on our team. He was a good person by all accounts and a huge family man. I feel bad for his family and close friends. Such a tragic senseless accident

I think any team would love to have a 4th round pick hit pay dirt like that. That's the hockey management equivalent of winning a lottery ticket. He was an immense talent, I can admit that. Can you imagine a line with him Leon and Connor on it like they would have at the All-Star game? They'd probably have shifts where opponents wouldn't even be able to touch the puck for the entire shift.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
I think any team would love to have a 4th round pick hit pay dirt like that. That's the hockey management equivalent of winning a lottery ticket. He was an immense talent, I can admit that. Can you imagine a line with him Leon and Connor on it like they would have at the All-Star game? They'd probably have shifts where opponents wouldn't even be able to touch the puck for the entire shift.
Nope. Didn't like him as a player and not a playoff guy. But this is not about hockey. This is about 2 brothers losing their life because of a drunk driver

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nope. Didn't like him as a player and not a playoff guy. But this is not about hockey. This is about 2 brothers losing their life because of a drunk driver

If he's your no.1 guy, that can be a rough go in the playoffs, it's a contact sport and being 5'6 as the go to player does become a bit problematic, but damn if I didn't hold my breath every time he had any puck possession in our zone in any game.

I feared him much more than Tkachuk or Lindholm or any of their other guys.

He's not a McDavid level talent, but almost no one is, I'd submit he's probably the most purely skilled player the Flames have ever had.

Reactions: brentashton

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I don't venture here often as a Flames fan, because y'all are entitled to your castle of solitude, but I noticed you had a thread on this and want to say I appreciate all your comments about Gaudreau and condemning the man who killed him and Matty.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
If he's your no.1 guy, that can be a rough go in the playoffs, it's a contact sport and being 5'6 as the go to player does become a bit problematic, but damn if I didn't hold my breath every time he had any puck possession in our zone in any game.

I feared him much more than Tkachuk or Lindholm or any of their other guys.

He's not a McDavid level talent, but almost no one is, I'd submit he's probably the most purely skilled player the Flames have ever he's
Like I said this is about human life, not hockey. And Kent Neilson was more talented. He was a good person and huge family man but not my cup of tea as a player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad