News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Brutal for the Goudreaus

Here's what happened and has happened to me numerous times doing scada work in O&G

SUV was driving. Came up on the Goudreau brothers. Instead of using the brakes just slowed down by removing their foot from the gas. Drunk was driving and because of SUV not using brakes did not alter speed. (This happens many times to people when tail lights arent turned on (See Rear ends on HWY2)) Drunk went to pass SUV. SUV pulled into left lane/Middle to avoid Goudreaus. Drunk went back into this lane and slightly to the shoulder to avoid hitting SUV. Unfortunately Goudreaus were there.

Instead of People biking its usually Locals wandering on the highway
For us slow people ive attached a visual

89122541-13796869-Higgins_is_accused_of_being_intoxicated_when_he_collided_with_Ga-a-1_1725056...jpg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Admitted to 5-6 beers ("admitted") and he admitted to drinking while he was driving

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't venture here often as a Flames fan, because y'all are entitled to your castle of solitude, but I noticed you had a thread on this and want to say I appreciate all your comments about Gaudreau and condemning the man who killed him and Matty.

We are free to hate each others teams and cities for the rivalry fun of it but when it comes down to it most players are decent humans like all of us. I think I can speak for all Oiler fans that we respected Gaudreau and were keenly aware and appreciative of his natural born talent. We were happy he went to Columbus because that meant we didn’t have to face him 5 times a year plus playoffs. That and he was a first class person off the ice.

Admitted to 5-6 beers ("admitted") and he admitted to drinking while he was driving

If he admitted to 5-6 beers then you know he probably had 10-12.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Like I said this is about human life, not hockey. And Kent Neilson was more talented. He was a good person and huge family man but not my cup of tea as a player

For sure, the family aspect of this in particular is heartbreaking.

But I'll give Johnny his props as a player too. Kent Nilsson was a whale of a player, but he was a average sized player at 6'0, not 5'6 and like 160 pounds.

Gaudreau played against way, way better level of modern goaltending, defense, and defensive coaching in general. To make opponents look bad in this era is much harder.

Reactions: oilers'72

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
We are free to hate each others teams and cities for the rivalry fun of it but when it comes down to it most players are decent humans like all of us. I think I can speak for all Oiler fans that we respected Gaudreau and were keenly aware and appreciative of his natural born talent. We were happy he went to Columbus because that meant we didn’t have to face him 5 times a year plus playoffs. That and he was a first class person off the ice.

If he admitted to 5-6 beers then you know he probably had 10-12.
5 or 6 was him trying to cover up the smell. Ive been there myself as im sure most have at 1 time or another. I was lucky i never hurt any one or myself after numerous times getting behind the wheel not just after a few but after being black out drunk. Its scary to think what could have happened or how it didnt. Took me a while to smarten up thats for sure. But ill atleast admit i was wrong, and i was a problem a one time.

I just can't get over what those 2 guys were doing on thar road with bikes for some reason it really bugs me. Esp at night. Juat frustrating on so mamy levels amd its to late to change any out come....

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
5 or 6 was him trying to cover up the smell. Ive been there myself as im sure most have at 1 time or another. I was lucky i never hurt any one or myself after numerous times getting behind the wheel not just after a few but after being black out drunk. Its scary to think what could have happened or how it didnt. Took me a while to smarten up thats for sure. But ill atleast admit i was wrong, and i was a problem a one time.

I just can't get over what those 2 guys were doing on thar road with bikes for some reason it really bugs me. Esp at night. Juat frustrating on so mamy levels amd its to late to change any out come....

My thinking is Gaudreau and his brother probably had gone bike riding along those roads a million times as kids and thought nothing of it.

They grew up there, quite possibly decided to go for a bike ride for old time's sake. Such a tragic turn of events.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yeah, the bolded doesn't matter. At all. Was the driver inebriated? Did he drive wrecklessly? Did he kill two people? Those are what matters.

We all have driven on back roads after sunset. I am 100% positive it will come up at trial.

The guy is an idiot but there was no lighting where the accident happened. I know lawyers. Time of day will come up

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
And I think we do a pretty good job in that regard.

There was a day when drinking and driving was not considered a big deal. Thanks largely in part to highly visible awareness campaigns society no longer accepts any form of intoxication behind the wheel.

As for vehicles, licences are regulated, roads have speed limits, vehicles have become much more safe and far less polluting in the past 3-4 decades. Give AI some years to develop and vehicles will be driving themselves with even far fewer accidents.

But taking vehicles away is unrealistic. Our society has the standard of living it does in large part due to the rapid and efficient movement of people, goods and services.

Plus I love my BMW so there’s that. :nod:

Anyway a tough day today, we probably have a lot more in agreement than not in the end. Cheers
Agree that it’s unrealistic and probably hard to even change. My comment was mostly meant as a thought exercise but perhaps suited to a better time/place.

Yep tough day indeed. My thoughts are with those who have been victimized by drunk driving as I’m sure some scars were reopened today / last night.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
but calling for the death penalty for the is okay?

This is something that just happened. People are grieving, are sad, are angry. Now isn't the time to try and make excuses for someone who was drunk and killed them both.

There is a time and place for discussing what conditions caused this tragedy and what sort of culpability the driver has. It isn't in this thread a day after it happened.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We all have driven on back roads after sunset. I am 100% positive it will come up at trial.

The guy is an idiot but there was no lighting where the accident happened. I know lawyers. Time of day will come up
It isn't the time to victim blame. I know you will say that you aren't, but you are. Save it for the trial discussions.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
For sure, the family aspect of this in particular is heartbreaking.

But I'll give Johnny his props as a player too. Kent Nilsson was a whale of a player, but he was a average sized player at 6'0, not 5'6 and like 160 pounds.

Gaudreau played against way, way better level of modern goaltending, defense, and defensive coaching in general. To make opponents look bad in this era is much harder.
Wrong. Also.in playoffs he made nobody look bad and was.on his butt most of the time. He was a pond hockey player to me
Why do you keep bringing up your obsession for him as a player..This is about what tragically happened to him and his brother. 2 lives lost senselessly. Focus more om that and what his family is going through. I don't care how good you thought his was. This is not the time for that

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Wrong. Also.in playoffs he made nobody look bad and was.on his butt most of the time. He was a pond hockey player to me
Why do you keep bringing up your obsession for him as a player..This is about what tragically happened to him and his brother. 2 lives lost senselessly. Focus more om that and what his family is going through. I don't care how good you thought his was. This is not the time for that
I think this is one of those moments where if you can’t say anything nice, maybe do not say it all. Sound wave is perfectly within his lane to say he admired the man as a hockey player. The only reason any of us know who he is, is because he was a professional hockey player. When a star dies we talk about how good of an actor, singer, etc they are. That’s the connection. We’d do well to not turn this thread into any debate in this matter, someone says they liked him, accept it and move on.

He punched way above his weight in the toughest league in the world. Made decisions for his family that were important to him, and that family is grieving an unthinkable loss. By all accounts a pro, a teammate and good in the community, Brutal to lose someone in the prime of their life.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Passing on the right is illegal in most places.

Passing on the right at night is slam dunk criminally negligent.

Passing on the right at night while drunk and is slam dunk open and shut your going to jail buddy.

Passing on the right at night while drunk and killing 2 people is your f***ed pal. Even Matlock will be begging for a plea bargain.

If his lawyer had half a brain he’d make a plea deal of admitting guilt in exchange for a lighter sentence given the fact he admitted to the crime on the scene and blew over.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
I think this is one of those moments where if you can’t say anything nice, maybe do not say it all. Sound wave is perfectly within his lane to say he admired the man as a hockey player. The only reason any of us know who he is, is because he was a professional hockey player. When a star dies we talk about how good of an actor, singer, etc they are. That’s the connection. We’d do well to not turn this thread into any debate in this matter, someone says they liked him, accept it and move on.

He punched way above his weight in the toughest league in the world. Made decisions for his family that were important to him, and that family is grieving an unthinkable loss. By all accounts a pro, a teammate and good in the community, Brutal to lose someone in the prime of their life

He punched way above his weight in the toughest league in the world. Made decisions for his family that were important to him, and that family is grieving an unthinkable loss. By all accounts a pro, a teammate and good in the community, Brutal to lose someone in the prime of their life.if

He punched way above his weight in the toughest league in the world. Made decisions for his family that were important to him, and that family is grieving an unthinkable loss. By all accounts a pro, a teammate and good in the community, Brutal to lose someone in the prime of their life.

HE was a good person and family man as I said and only thing that should be talked about now is how tragic the loss is for his family and close friends. So young for both of the brothers to die is beyond tragic for the family. What anyone here thinks about him as a hockey player means nothing. Say that when he was alive and well.

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
Passing on the right is illegal in most places.

Passing on the right at night is slam dunk criminally negligent.

Passing on the right at night while drunk and is slam dunk open and shut your going to jail buddy.

Passing on the right at night while drunk and killing 2 people is your f***ed pal. Even Matlock will be begging for a plea bargain.

If his lawyer had half a brain he’d make a plea deal of admitting guilt in exchange for a lighter sentence given the fact he admitted to the crime on the scene and blew over.
Nobody knows that he tried to 'pass on the right'. Without being emotional about it you can understand how after passing someone, just pulling back into your lane normally on such a backroad could lead you to hitting bikers you didn't previously see before you passed due to the other vehicles hiding them.

Nobody on earth, not even someone who's drunk, is going to be trying to pass on the inside on a two lane backround when the car ahead of him is pulling slightly to the middle of the road to avoid bikers.

By the time he completed the pass and ended up back in his lane, it was too late. There isn't even a shoulder or anything on that road.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Nobody knows that he tried to 'pass on the right'. Without being emotional about it you can understand how after passing someone, just pulling back into your lane normally on such a backroad could lead you to hitting bikers you didn't previously see before you passed due to the other vehicles hiding them.

Nobody on earth, not even someone who's drunk, is going to be trying to pass on the inside on a two lane backround when the car ahead of him is pulling slightly to the middle of the road to avoid bikers.

By the time he completed the pass and ended up back in his lane, it was too late. There isn't even a shoulder or anything on that road.

It’s been widely reported he passed on the right.

Read the report.

IMG_6556.jpeg

IMG_6564.jpeg

Last edited:

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Even if they were riding in the middle of the road, he's 100% culpable. A normal, sober, non-brain damaged driver doesn't hit them in that situation. He was drunk, driving aggressively, and impatient, and Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Gaudreau are dead because of it. It's really that simple.

Last edited:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I’m not sure if you were paying attention the day your 9th grade English teacher covered irony.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Every time I pick up my phone to read a bit more about the depths of this tragedy, something else just hits me.

This is Matt Gaudreau a month ago:

1000005642.jpg

Kirby

Sponsor
Jan 31, 2009
Edmonton
Absolutely. 100%. Without question.

Again, if you make the conscious decision to get behind the wheel after drinking, you are personally accepting the fact that you could very well kill someone on the way home and you're accepting it as an appropriate risk. Whether it be to get to work in the morning, a wedding, a funeral, a tee time.

When the worst case scenario is killing someone, if you willingly accept the risk for such a miniscule reward of having your vehicle in your driveway in the morning, you are a bad person.

There is so much data on how much alcohol someone can consume before being impaired. There is no risk assessment here. Instead of having three, have one. And if you do have 3, don't drive. It's that simple.
Sorry, I think there needs to be a clarification here.

Any time you get behind a vehicle, in any circumstance, you are accepting the risk that you could seriously harm someone, even kill them by your actions and decisions.

This in no way excuses the driver for increasing the risks by being intoxicated (nor do I condone any of his actions at all), but this is still tragic and could still happen even if the driver is 100% sober.

Should the driver not been drinking? Yes. Should the individual not had driven at all? Yes. Should laws be more strongly enforced to deter this type of behaviour? Absolutely Yes.

Could an accident still had occured in an Uber? Sadly, also Yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad