News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
It’s been widely reported he passed on the right.

Read the report.

View attachment 904246

View attachment 904247
Well, as tragic as the story is and how bad I feel for their families, this infograph is absurd.

Nobody is moving all the way into the opposite lane to avoid bikers who are biking conveniently just inside the non-existent shoulder.

The driver was zipped up, probably on suicide watch, and I'm sure his sigh was one of having to wait with his thoughts another few days locked up before he will have a chance to end his own life. Guilt ridden. There's no way he is going to be around much longer.

Point being, he probably deserves it for drinking and driving and ultimately taking the lives of two young men. However, if you look at this infograph and think the boundaries and measurements are anywhere near correct, you're being foolish.

In all likelihood, as the front vehicle moved towards the centre of the road, Higgins was simultaneously finished passing the middle car and was now moving back into the right lane. Again, go look at pictures of the road in question. There is no room for bikers to be tucked in on the shoulder. They would've been out in the road to some degree. Now when he cuts back into the right lane, he has no idea the bikers are there because the vehicle in front of him is blocking them from view. A sober person might realize the lead car is moving out of the way of something for sure.

Even driving solidly in his lane, he would have hit these boys. The idea that he was ripping onto (again) a non-existent shoulder makes no sense.

Terrible timing and circumstance coupled with a drunk driver leads to this tragedy. Now may not be the time to discuss the things @Jumptheshark is, but a lot went wrong here for this to occur. It wasn't a drunk driver blowing through a red light.

Its not a pass on the right if your returning to your lane of travel
Exactly this. It's terrible but true.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Well, as tragic as the story is and how bad I feel for their families, this infograph is absurd.

Nobody is moving all the way into the opposite lane to avoid bikers who are biking conveniently just inside the non-existent shoulder.

The driver was zipped up, probably on suicide watch, and I'm sure his sigh was one of having to wait with his thoughts another few days locked up before he will have a chance to end his own life. Guilt ridden. There's no way he is going to be around much longer.

Point being, he probably deserves it for drinking and driving and ultimately taking the lives of two young men. However, if you look at this infograph and think the boundaries and measurements are anywhere near correct, you're being foolish.

In all likelihood, as the front vehicle moved towards the centre of the road, Higgins was simultaneously finished passing the middle car and was now moving back into the right lane. Again, go look at pictures of the road in question. There is no room for bikers to be tucked in on the shoulder. They would've been out in the road to some degree. Now when he cuts back into the right lane, he has no idea the bikers are there because the vehicle in front of him is blocking them from view. A sober person might realize the lead car is moving out of the way of something for sure.

Even driving solidly in his lane, he would have hit these boys. The idea that he was ripping onto (again) a non-existent shoulder makes no sense.

Terrible timing and circumstance coupled with a drunk driver leads to this tragedy. Now may not be the time to discuss the things @Jumptheshark is, but a lot went wrong here for this to occur. It wasn't a drunk driver blowing through a red light.

A normal, sober person isn't driving fast enough and so close behind the car in front of them, on a single-lane backroad no less, that two bike riders on the road just magically appear in front of them so quickly the driver can't get out of the way. Some of you need to be reminded that speeding and tailgating and driving aggressively isn't what normal people do, precisely for these reasons. Most of us aren't children and understand there are consequences to driving like a garbage person. People who deal with car accidents (cops, lawyers, doctors and nurses, etc) see this shit way too f***ing often.

commie

Jul 30, 2005
but calling for the death penalty for the is okay?

I don't care if its bloody midnight and total darkness out there, this driver made a pass on the right side onto the curb/shoulder.
He could've been blinded by the sun or didn't see the cyclists, doesn't matter, that manoeuvre is illegal in any conditions. Drunk or not, day light or midnight.

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
A normal, sober person isn't driving fast enough and so close behind the car in front of them, on a single-lane backroad no less, that two bike riders on the road just magically appear in front of them so quickly the driver can't get out of the way. Some of you need to be reminded that speeding and tailgating and driving aggressively isn't what normal people do, precisely for these reasons. Most of us aren't children and understand there are consequences to driving like a garbage person. People who deal with car accidents (cops, lawyers, doctors and nurses, etc) see this shit way too f***ing often.
Definitely agree, in a perfect world this never happens -- however almost all road rage / car crashes happen while people are completely sober.

The world isn't black and white. Drunk drivers should be punished harshly but saying they'd be alive if he was sober, I just don't agree with. Looking at the infograph, reading articles, piecing it together it seems like a combination of terrible factors culminating in a tragedy. Happens all the time unfortunately, across the world.

I don't care if its bloody midnight and total darkness out there, this driver made a pass on the right side onto the curb/shoulder.
He could've been blinded by the sun or didn't see the cyclists, doesn't matter, that manoeuvre is illegal in any conditions. Drunk or not, day light or midnight.
There isn't a curb/shoulder on the particular road.

The police mention it was raining as well as them driving along the fog line. It's a terrible culmination of factors.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Definitely agree, in a perfect world this never happens -- however almost all road rage / car crashes happen while people are completely sober.

The world isn't black and white. Drunk drivers should be punished harshly but saying they'd be alive if he was sober, I just don't agree with. Looking at the infograph, reading articles, piecing it together it seems like a combination of terrible factors culminating in a tragedy. Happens all the time unfortunately, across the world.

The police mention it was raining as well as them driving along the fog line. It's a terrible culmination of factors.
With this, I totally agree. The way this guy was described as driving, he may not have needed alcohol. Of course, he was drinking. But aggression and inability to comprehend consequences like an adult is something horrible sober drivers deal with too, and cause tragedies like this all the time.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
We seem to be arguing for the sake of having an argument here, and I’m not sure why. 2 young family men are dead in a horrible and preventable accident. The driver was drunk which makes it even more tragic and wasteful. Of course fatalities still occur with sober drivers but I have no clue what people are arguing about or even why they feel the need to argue in this moment.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Why are you arguing with a police report which clearly indicates he tried to pass the second car on the right?

What I read on the mains last night is that he admitted to the police that he thought the 2nd car was trying to block him so he attempted to pass on the right.

Sure... it could have happened that the bikers were in his blind spot and he hit them as an honest accident (entirely sober) as he returned to his own lane.

But that's NOT what we are told happened. He admitted 5-6 beers and he admitted trying to pass on the right. The police report mentions it specifically.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

If that picture you shared is of the location of the collision, it shows a solid dividing line.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
We seem to be arguing for the sake of having an argument here, and I’m not sure why. 2 young family men are dead in a horrible and preventable accident. The driver was drunk which makes it even more tragic and wasteful. Of course fatalities still occur with sober drivers but I have no clue what people are arguing about or even why they feel the need to argue in this moment.
It seems more And more people just want to appear “edgy”. Unfortunately, more often than not they end up appearing something much less flattering

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Its not a pass on the right if your returning to your lane of travel

It is if you’re trying to go around the vehicle in front of you.

Some of you guys defending this a-hole really need to find a new hill to plant that flag.

Are you the guys state supplied defence attorney?

Get the f*** out of the thread asshole - this is supposed to be a memorial thread, not a thread for stating a defence for a piece of shit who made an illegal pass while intoxicated. Your talking like you witnessed this meanwhile the actual witnesses stated the vehicle passed on the right.

Jesus f***ing Christ some of you people are f***ing ghouls.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Actually, you are wrong. That is exactly how I was taught to pass by cyclists and people walking with the flow of traffic (as opposed to facing). Maybe I’m in the minority but it’s not nobody as you state. I see others do the same.

As I mentioned in another post, I walk and cycle a lot on paved but undelineated road surfaces and because of that it’s a courtesy I extend to others and hope others do the same for me when I am out using the roadway. I also slow down to 30-40kmh if it’s safe to do so.

I’m not saying I’m a perfect driver because I’m not, but it’s hard to read statements like yours that lean into victim shaming. This matter is far from the Gaudreau’s brothers fault that they were out cycling on this road.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Passing on the right is illegal in most places.

Passing on the right at night is slam dunk criminally negligent.

Passing on the right at night while drunk and is slam dunk open and shut your going to jail buddy.

Passing on the right at night while drunk and killing 2 people is your f***ed pal. Even Matlock will be begging for a plea bargain.

If his lawyer had half a brain he’d make a plea deal of admitting guilt in exchange for a lighter sentence given the fact he admitted to the crime on the scene and blew over.
Just as clarity from reports "the field sobriety" test was used. Not sure why a breathalyzer wasn't utilized either at scene or station. Hopefully its just an error of omissions in initial police reporting. I sure hope they made him blow at some point.

Next, passing on the right is allowed in several jurisdictions, for instance in Canada in Alberta and Ontario. That said that would be only on roads that have 2 or more lanes going one way. Its batshit crazy to pass somebody on the right on a 2 lane blacktop. Doing it at night while impaired is beyond words.

Anytime I'm driving, walking, cycling I remember that people like this live amongst us and are actually out there driving.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Still seems surreal/unreal. What a tragedy for the family, the boys, the sister. As I recall the wedding was going to be today. Not my part and nobody asked but moments like this remind us all that life if fleeting and to enjoy each day we have.

I'm peeling onions again. Probably a lot of you have. cheers bros and gals and remember that we've all been impacted differently by drunk drivers and circumstances. Some of us are going to be very heated about this nature of offense, for more than ample reason. Some of us have had our own lifes or friends or family lives threatened by the actions of drunk drivers. Some of us have experienced the worst occurring, such as the Gaudreau tragedy.

Say what we did about Johnny Gaudreau. The guy loved the game, making fans cheer, smile, making people happy and played the right way. Guy was an alterboy and a son and brother and player that will never be forgot.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

Um the driver is on anything but suicide watch. He's actually annoyed he has to be in jail over the weekend because if labour day. He views the whole thing as a massive inconvenience for him and has the mentality of "what's the big deal?".

It's funny you think he's feeling any shame because my read is the exact opposite.

Reactions: soothsayer

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Just as clarity from reports "the field sobriety" test was used. Not sure why a breathalyzer wasn't utilized either at scene or station. Hopefully its just an error of omissions in initial police reporting. I sure hope they made him blow at some point.

Next, passing on the right is allowed in several jurisdictions, for instance in Canada in Alberta and Ontario. That said that would be only on roads that have 2 or more lanes going one way. Its batshit crazy to pass somebody on the right on a 2 lane blacktop. Doing it at night while impaired is beyond words.

Anytime I'm driving, walking, cycling I remember that people like this live amongst us and are actually out there driving.
Thanks for looking out for me Drai. :)

I'm just surprised and shocked as to how many people there are out there that are on their 5,6, or 7th drunk driving conviction. How does this happen when you receive multiple sentences? Seems like the authorities are just waiting for them to kill someone before they get locked up.
We have a kinder, gentler penal system in Canada (in the convicted’s favour, of course).

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Apologies for the snap earlier. I deleted the post.

My daughter in law was nearly killed by one, and thanks to him she has only one properly functioning lung and kidney and a screwed up back not being able to safely lift more than 10 lbs.

Drunk driving has no excuse. Z - roh. There are no “other factors at play”.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm just surprised and shocked as to how many people there are out there that are on their 5,6, or 7th drunk driving conviction. How does this happen when you receive multiple sentences? Seems like the authorities are just waiting for them to kill someone before they get locked up.
I think part of the reason these people aren’t locked up for lengthy periods would be jail and prison overcrowding.

As unfortunate as it is.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Even if they were riding in the middle of the road, he's 100% culpable. A normal, sober, non-brain damaged driver doesn't hit them in that situation. He was drunk, driving aggressively, and impatient, and Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Gaudreau are dead because of it. It's really that simple.
He is and he will be held accountable. But if lessons are to be drawn for the case it's also about the dangers of biking on country roads at night.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad