News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Last time I checked cars have had those bright shiny things called headlights installed on them since 1903, which really light up those bright shiny reflector things installed on bikes.

This causes the human Mark 1 eyeballs to see the things like bikes in the dark that might also be sharing the road with cars which are not supposed to be passing other cars on the right on small two lane roads.

If lessons are to be drawn from this case is 100% about NOT DRINKING AND f***ING DRIVING.
I think this accident happens no matter how light it is out.

CageRage

Aug 15, 2009
Headline - 2 Cyclists Killed By Drunk Driver

Poster - “Cycling is dangerous”

You - “I agree, you couldn’t pay me to cycle on the shoulder of a highway”

Just connecting the dots for you.

So people with a drivers licence then.

Read my to post Cagerage because your not getting it.

Headline - 2 Cyclists Killed by Drunk Driver

You - “Cycling is dangerous”

Read the room for f***s sake.

Unfortunately the graveyard is full of people who had the right of way. A point you can't seem to grasp. Yes drunk driving is evil... and cycling on a road/highway/anywhere with vehicles driven by idiots (ie. everywhere) is also dangerous.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Unfortunately the graveyard is full of people who had the right of way. A point you can't seem to grasp. Yes drunk driving is evil... and cycling on a road/highway/anywhere with vehicles driven by idiots (ie. everywhere) is also dangerous.

And the point being made over and over here ad nauseum is that this thread is not about the cycling or however slightly risky it might be at times and trust me if it were as dangerous as being made out here, almost akin to skydiving without a parachute the way some of you are carrying on about it, the nanny state we live in would have outlawed it years ago.

The fact is a drunk driver wiped these people out. It’s not about the extremely mild risk the cyclists took.

Read the room fella.

Calm down.

I am calm. Stop equating the near zero risk of cycling with the deadly risk of drinking and driving.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
And the point being made over and over here ad nauseum is that this thread is not about the cycling or however slightly risky it might be at times and trust me if it were as dangerous as being made out here, almost akin to skydiving without a parachute the way some of you are carrying on about it, the nanny state we live in would have outlawed it years ago.

The fact is a drunk driver wiped these people out. It’s not about the extremely mild risk the cyclists took.

Read the room fella.

I am calm. Stop equating the near zero risk of cycling with the deadly risk of drinking and driving.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
What does that even suggest? Can you put that statistic in some type of context, like how much ridership and kilometres cycled on average have risen over that period. Otherwise it’s a senseless stat that adds zero to the discussion.

it’s like saying the amount of people who died in airplane crashes is higher in 2024 than the number who died in 1824. True, but without context it means squat.

I’m sure that the percentage of ridership, and thus exposure, has increased during the same time frame.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Oh boy, here we go. The “Percentages show I am right” post.

Two can play the percentage without context game.

From the same article: “At the same time, the number of preventable nonfatal injuries has declined 32%, from 493,884 in 2013 to 337,738 in 2022.”

Population of the US in 2022 - 333.3 Million.
Bicycle fatalities in 2022 - 1360
% of people killed in bicycle accidents - %0.000004080000004 of all the people died in a bicycle accident.

As I said. The near zero risk of riding a bicycle does not equate with the unacceptable risk of drunk driving.

Bike riding is an acceptable risk hundreds of millions take every day.

Drunk driving - not an acceptable risk

Yet somehow the Gaudreaus were irresponsibly riding the high wire without a safety net in your book.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
What does that even suggest? Can you put that statistic in some type of context, like how much ridership and kilometres cycled on average have risen over that period. Otherwise it’s a senseless stat that adds zero to the discussion.

it’s like saying the amount of people who died in airplane crashes is higher in 2024 than the number who died in 1824. True, but without context it means squat.

I’m sure that the percentage of ridership, and thus exposure, has increased during the same time frame.
More than 400,000 injuries per year. Does it sound like zero chance risk? I can't find the article now, but there were calculation that, cycling injuries per mile is something like 70 times more likely than injuries sustained when driving a car.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yes, that's what the penalty should be for what he is accused of and will be guilty of if no one screws up on a technicality. But he probably makes a deal.
Even if he doesnt plead guilty, zero chance he gets the death penalty for a DUI causing death.

But I agree that punishments should be harsher.

Oh boy, here we go. The “Percentages show I am right” post.

Two can play the percentage without context game.

From the same article: “At the same time, the number of preventable nonfatal injuries has declined 32%, from 493,884 in 2013 to 337,738 in 2022.”

Population of the US in 2022 - 333.3 Million.
Bicycle fatalities in 2022 - 1360
% of people killed in bicycle accidents - %0.000004080000004 of all the people died in a bicycle accident.

As I said. The near zero risk of riding a bicycle does not equate with the unacceptable risk of drunk driving.

Bike riding is an acceptable risk hundreds of millions take every day.

Drunk driving - not an acceptable risk

Yet somehow the Gaudreaus were irresponsibly riding the high wire without a safety net in your book.
If thats the death rate of cyclists and such a big issue, They also shouldnt go to school with how many school shooting there are, infact dont even go in public, stay at home.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
More than 400,000 injuries per year. Does it sound like zero chance risk? I can't find the article now, but there were calculation that, cycling injuries per mile is something like 70 times more likely than injuries sustained when driving a car.

“337,738 in 2022“ to be exact. That probably includes skinned knees and owies that mommy bandaged up.

That’s .001% of the US population. So pretty much a near zero acceptable and normal risk.

Of course cycling’s higher chance to sustain an injury versus driving a car. It’s a f***ing bicycle with zero protection. A car is an armoured machine with seat belts, air bags and crumple zones. When I drive my Sherman tank I am 70 times less likely to be injured than when driving my highly dangerous car.

It’s stupid trying to make some point that those 2 being on the road are somehow in any way a tiny part responsible for their deaths because they were on a bike that the other driver magically was able to avoid but drunken Charlie plowed them over making an inside pass like he’s on the Nurbergering with a cracked cold one in one hand and the steering wheel in the other.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Drunk drivers are dangerous not only to cyclists but any person who shares the road with them.

Would I personally drive a bike on a road? No. Don’t trust drivers at all but that doesn’t mean I’m going to sit here and say the Gaudreaus did something wrong.

They did nothing wrong and lost their lives because a driver who had been drinking and driving aggressively happened to be on the same road as them.

The blame is solely on the driver.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Drunk drivers are dangerous not only to cyclists but any person who shares the road with them.

Would I personally drive a bike on a road? No. Don’t trust drivers at all but that doesn’t mean I’m going to sit here and say the Gaudreaus did something wrong.

They did nothing wrong and lost their lives because a driver who had been drinking and driving aggressively happened to be on the same road as them.

You are being a hypocrite here, and you also use a strawman argument. 1) Nobody here shifts blame to Gaudreaus. 2) Listen to yourself: you are trying to discredit the argument while making precisely the same argument (you just said that you would not personally ride a bike on the road). Anyways, enjoy the rest of your day.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

North

Jun 25, 2009
You are being a hypocrite here, and you also use a strawman argument. 1) Nobody here shifts blame to Gaudreaus. 2) Listen to yourself: you are trying to discredit the argument while making precisely the same argument (you just said that you would not personally ride a bike on the road). Anyways, enjoy the rest of your day.
Oooh you just want someone to validate your nonsense.

I won’t. My fear is mine. Doesn’t mean the Gaudreaus had that same fear.

The problem here is you are the one trying to convince people of your point of view and it’s not going well.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
So, against my best wishes, I live in Calgary. The response down here has been unbelievable and really goes to show the effect Gaudreau had on this city and surrounding communities. Out of the tragedy of this whole situation, it's actually pretty cool to see how much of an impact the guy had on this fan base and city.

Cool to know that he'll live on that way.

That said, he'll always be Cryin' Gaudreau to me, and that's also pretty cool. Had that effect on me personally. RIP to those brothers, and for this city, it seems like his name will never die.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

The problem here is you are the one trying to convince people of your point of view and it’s not going well.

It obviously turned out well. You are ridiculous.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I personally would've never had my bicycle on that road, but its also not their fault.

Mainly cause I just dont trust people.

I went down to the saddledome to lay some flowers and respects tonight.

Makes me appreciate my parents even more seeing this happen, no matter where I was if I was intoxicated they'd come get me, and even bring me or my friends vehicle home.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I personally would've of had my bicycle on that road, but its also not their fault.

Mainly cause I just dont trust people.

I went down to the saddledome to lay some flowers and respects tonight.

Makes me appreciate my parents even more seeing this happen, no matter where I was if I was intoxicated they'd come get me, and even bring me or my friends vehicle home.
Very respectful of you, Tobias.

I did the same for my teenaged kids and now that they are mid, late twenties I think they understand it’s no big deal to call a friend, buddy, Uber as opposed to driving.

My nephew is at the Calgary Hitman camp and they had a moment of silence before their sessions yesterday and all weekend have had a memorial slide of JG on the scoreboard. He said yesterday was a very quiet day. He was at the camp last year too and said the mood was really different this year.

These are young boys/men. It’s sad that it had to be this way but I think they are all getting a heavy dose of reality and making them aware of the supreme costs of drinking and driving. Maybe that’s some of the good that comes from this tragedy.

Have a good evening folks. I’m out.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Very respectful of you, Tobias.

I did the same for my teenaged kids and now that they are mid, late twenties I think they understand it’s no big deal to call a friend, buddy, Uber as opposed to driving.

My nephew is at the Calgary Hitman camp and they had a moment of silence before their sessions yesterday and all weekend have had a memorial slide of JG on the scoreboard. He said yesterday was a very quiet day. He was at the camp last year too and said the mood was really different this year.

These are young boys/men. It’s sad that it had to be this way but I think they are all getting a heavy dose of reality and making them aware of the supreme costs of drinking and driving. Maybe that’s some of the good that comes from this tragedy.

Have a good evening folks. I’m out.

Did the same with our kids, told them no questions asked, just call, 24/7. Couple of early morning ones, but being woken up being asked for a ride is much better than the alternative type of phone call.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Did the same with our kids, told them no questions asked, just call, 24/7. Couple of early morning ones, but being woken up being asked for a ride is much better than the alternative type of phone call.

Picked up my kids so many times I couldn’t even begin to count. Picked up their friends as well. In fact our house became the crash house. Most times though they’d just hang out in the basement and backyard in the summer and that’s what we as parents liked because we knew where they were and they weren’t going to be out on the streets at the witching hour.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
jebus this thread has gone down the rails.

This is a terrible tragic incident. It doesn't mean board members have to be fighting over it. Maybe some steps back people? Its obvious on a topic like this a lot of people are going to have some strong opinions including me.

Yes takes and feels on this topic can vary immensely. But its also OK within reason for those differing takes to be expressed.

But no need to denigrate other board members on the basis of differing views in this tragedy?

This is how we all become one instead of a community group here. just saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad