News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I personally would've of had my bicycle on that road, but its also not their fault.

Mainly cause I just dont trust people.

I went down to the saddledome to lay some flowers and respects tonight.

Makes me appreciate my parents even more seeing this happen, no matter where I was if I was intoxicated they'd come get me, and even bring me or my friends vehicle home.
Nice post. my own thing and my friends is pretty much wherver we were we would just walk home. City wasn't quite as big back then and 5-10mile walks home from a party, even in winter, its how we rolled as teens. We'd have lots of fun on walk back home too and lots of memorable moments. If we had bikes we'd bike home late at night but on side roads and such.

NEVER got a ride from my parents while drunk, Nor did anybody I know. My parents half a chance would be drunker than I was stumbling home. just saying this for a laugh but on a Saturday night in the 70's it would be true.

You have nice parents sir.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Pretty sure they will and planning probably already. I was thinking this as well.
It would make a lot of sense. The rivalry is intense at times but when it’s all said and done these guys respect each other after.

We’ve given Johnny shit over the years but there’s no doubt he was extremely talented and a good person. I’ll always be glad we had that BoA in the playoffs, Gaudreau was a part of that a huge part of the Flames that season.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
It would make a lot of sense. The rivalry is intense at times but when it’s all said and done these guys respect each other after.

We’ve given Johnny shit over the years but there’s no doubt he was extremely talented and a good person. I’ll always be glad we had that BoA in the playoffs, Gaudreau was a part of that a huge part of the Flames that season.
Well said
This event transcends hockey rivalries and requires the support of the hockey community in my mind

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Most of the hate from oiler fans towards gaudreau was because of how good he was.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Unreal still haven't digested the passing of Johnny and his brother Matthew Gaudreau. Such a senseless and selfish act by their killer to get behind a vechile while under the influence of alcohol. RIP Johnny Hockey, you will be missed.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
1725195622478.jpeg

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Oh boy, here we go. The “Percentages show I am right” post.

Two can play the percentage without context game.

From the same article: “At the same time, the number of preventable nonfatal injuries has declined 32%, from 493,884 in 2013 to 337,738 in 2022.”

Population of the US in 2022 - 333.3 Million.
Bicycle fatalities in 2022 - 1360
% of people killed in bicycle accidents - %0.000004080000004 of all the people died in a bicycle accident.

As I said. The near zero risk of riding a bicycle does not equate with the unacceptable risk of drunk driving.

Bike riding is an acceptable risk hundreds of millions take every day.

Drunk driving - not an acceptable risk

Yet somehow the Gaudreaus were irresponsibly riding the high wire without a safety net in your book.
Exactly. How many folks have been killed by someone else’s decision to hop on their bicycle ?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This still makes me angry and I didn’t even like the guy. The enormity of this loss cannot be overstated.

Just don’t drink and drive. If I can do it, so can you. If you need help with alcoholism then get it. It doesn’t make you weak or any less of a person.
I believe most times impaired driving can be directly associated with the individual having an alcohol issue in general. And as my dearly departed dad would say, about speeding tickets or impaired driving, "there are probably a hundred other times you did it and never got caught or had an incident.

At any rate this topic is getting heated, so I will just pay my public respect and condolences to the Gaudreau family and friends for the tragic, senseless loss of two lives, and move on.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I believe most times impaired driving can be directly associated with the individual having an alcohol issue in general. And as my dearly departed dad would say, about speeding tickets or impaired driving, "there are probably a hundred other times you did it and never got caught or had an incident.

At any rate this topic is getting heated, so I will just pay my public respect and condolences to the Gaudreau family and friends for the tragic, senseless loss of two lives, and move on.
A very sad day for hockey and people in general.

Some issues transcend sports rivalry. I can't imagine what this family is going through. Doesn't it always seem to be that some of the nicest and most gentleman like of guys are taken away prematurely. Clearly this matter has hurt many people, even those who are not hockey fans--tragic and entirely preventable. I hope this person will be held to serious account in a court of law.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That is a piece of art.
Wonder why this was taken down. An artist painting with a puck cut in half as her brush makes a beautiful homage to JG in his Blue Jackets jersey flipping a puck on his hockey stick. It was a unique piece of art.

Reactions: oilers'72

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Wonder why this was taken down. An artist painting with a puck cut in half as her brush makes a beautiful homage to JG in his Blue Jackets jersey flipping a puck on his hockey stick. It was a unique piece of art.
Isn't it still on twitt?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ironically , another tragic crash closer to home with 2 young men on motorcycles killed by a semi driver who lost control and crossed the centre line into them. They were part of a group ride to raise money for the homeless and one of them was to be married in 3 weeks. Fortunately , no alcohol apparently involved by the driver of the truck but still horrible. In no way trying to equate this to the drunk driver that killed the Gaudreau's but sadly, yet another story of 2 young lives taken needlessly, ironically happening mere days after the Gaudreau incident. It will be interesting to see the experience and training the semi driver had leading up to this. Seems to be happening far too often.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ironically , another tragic crash closer to home with 2 young men on motorcycles killed by a semi driver who lost control and crossed the centre line into them. They were part of a group ride to raise money for the homeless and one of them was to be married in 3 weeks. Fortunately , no alcohol apparently involved by the driver of the truck but still horrible. In no way trying to equate this to the drunk driver that killed the Gaudreau's but sadly, yet another story of 2 young lives taken needlessly, ironically happening mere days after the Gaudreau incident. It will be interesting to see the experience and training the semi driver had leading up to this. Seems to be happening far too often.
I don't even know if it's better or worse.

Sober people kill a lot on our roads too, but it often gets swept under the rug. Why?

Looked like we were heading in the right direction couple months back when there were complaints that people had to take there driver exam multiple times as well as driver training multiple times as people couldn't pass. Time to stop handing out licenses like they are candy on halloween and when there are infractions start taking licenses away.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
I hope nobody takes this as me blaming the victim, because in this situation the drunk driver is 100% responsible, but am I the only person that has a HUGE problem with cyclists utilizing roads designed for, and filled with motorists? The cyclist moves far too slowly, and lacks sufficient protection.

They should be allowed to, and forced to use the sidewalk and have bells or something similar to warn pedestrians of the impending approach. I'm sure there are some examples, but it seems to me a cyclist hitting a pedestrian, is significantly less likely to result in a major injury, than a cyclist getting hit by (or hitting) a car.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
My mom always told me growing up, "You can choose what you will do, but you cannot choose the consequences."

One bad choice in a moment is all it takes to ruin a multitude of lives forever.
I love the wisdoms that moms espoused. Thats a memorable one.

Mine said more like You can choose what you can do, and thats not what your friends are doing.....

haha, that advice was more necessary growing up in our neighborhood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad