News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
RIP Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew GaudreauHated it when we played the amazing skilled winger but always had so much respect for him and the way he demonstrated himself on and off the ice. We will never forget you and Matthew.

Truly, I can’t imagine what the Gaudreau family are going through

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
This has nothing to do with being drunk. Anyone who is aggressive, impatient, and speeding will crash like this when attempting to pass a slow-moving car that's driving in the middle of the two lanes. You can't see the biker until it's too late. Slow the f... down

This has nothing to do with him being drunk...

HUH!?!?!

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I just saw the road where the accident happened. Paved and a solid yellow line throughout. Solid yellow.. You don't pass.
Absolutely on the solid yellow. I didn’t repost but according to the media reports posted earlier today, the driver charged, passed on the right side when the vehicle in front of him moved left to avoid the cyclists. The aggressive nature of the driver is abhorrent.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This has nothing to do with being drunk. Anyone who is aggressive, impatient, and speeding will crash like this when attempting to pass a slow-moving car that's driving in the middle of the two lanes. You can't see the biker until it's too late. Slow the f... down
Judgement is impaired when you’re drunk. This has everything to do with the driver of the vehicle being drunk.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
But the bike lane was on the regular intercity highway?
Why the f*** does that matter man? It's no excuse The driver was drunk and was STILL drinking in the car. Apparently he had open liquor while driving. Look at what he did to Johnny's family and his own

Reactions: oilers'72

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
We've built a society that worships vice and alcohol and drug usage. We've done this increasingly.

I don't think people drive drunk or high because they worship drugs and alcohol, I think they drive drunk or high because not driving after drinking/getting high is highly inconvenient. Go to any suburban area and see how many of the sportsbars are located in far flung strip malls or power centres and are surrounded by parking lots.

Come on. Let's not blame society here. It's not hard to not drink and drive. Call a cab. Book an uber. Bring a DD. Walk the f*** home. Really doesn't matter. But the only person responsible imo is the person that chooses to drive while intoxicated.

Driving drunk is an individual choice, but individual choices are made in a social context. This specific case is a clear cut example of an individual making a series of horrible choices that make him a total piece of shit, but not every case of someone driving drunk is like that. I bet everyone here has either been in the situation where they or someone they know has a couple of drinks and drives home because, well, they only had a couple of beers and need to get to work the next day.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You should edit out the bike lanes from your post as it was very incorrect. Don't take this a defence to the drunk driver that I feel should be punished equally to the Gaudreau brothers.
Sure whatever, MFer, who doesn't give a shit about killing two people, passed on the f***ing right side. I don't care, bike lanes or no, he's a piece of shit who is a problem for everyone.

My point again, riding a bike, cycling, isn't taking your life into your own hands and this MFer doesn't need those thumbs I think, they're wasted on him.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Too bad the guy didn't clip the power pole before clipping the Gaudreaus
If the line was solid throughout as I initially thought, the SUV would have responsibility as well. I know most of us try to maneuver around bikes and go into the other lane (a bit) but I think that's a traffic violation. Anyone correct if wrong. It isn't so the SUV didn't do anything wrong. Just the F-head.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Sure whatever, MFer, who doesn't give a shit about killing two people, passed on the f***ing right side. I don't care, bike lanes or no, he's a piece of shit who is a problem for everyone.

My point again, riding a bike, cycling, isn't taking your life into your own hands and this MFer doesn't need those thumbs I think, they're wasted on him.

This dumbass is going to let out a VERY heavy sigh when he learns of the 12-25 year sentence that he's almost guaranteed to be serving.

If the line was solid throughout as I initially thought, the SUV would have responsibility as well. I know most of us try to maneuver around bikes and go into the other lane (a bit) but I think that's a violation. Anyone correct if wrong. It isn't so the SUV didn't do anything wrong. Just the F-head.

If the picture above in this thread is truly where the accident occurred, the only way to not hit anyone on a bike would be to go into the other lane. There is zero shoulder on that road.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Man, you can be one of the most ignorant clowns on here. I can't make it any clearer, I believe in an eye for eye punishment, the death penalty for this clown. My uncle was killed by drunk driver when I was a teenager, I have no sympathy for a drunk or drunk driver.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don't think people drive drunk or high because they worship drugs and alcohol, I think they drive drunk or high because not driving after drinking/getting high is highly inconvenient. Go to any suburban area and see how many of the sportsbars are located in far flung strip malls or power centres and are surrounded by parking lots.

Driving drunk is an individual choice, but individual choices are made in a social context. This specific case is a clear cut example of an individual making a series of horrible choices that make him a total piece of shit, but not every case of someone driving drunk is like that. I bet everyone here has either been in the situation where they or someone they know has a couple of drinks and drives home because, well, they only had a couple of beers and need to get to work the next day.
The driver in question had previous DUI, was driving drunk, and had even self reported 5-6 drinks and failed the roadside sobriety test. it has nothing at all to do with getting to work.

"highly inconvenient" jfc. monitor yourself a little with respect to the thread topic and ponder how offensive that is in context.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
We've built a society in which it's almost mandatory that you need to drive to function so is it a surprise people will go to extreme lengths to maintain their ability to operate a vehicle?
Correct take. Part of the blame falls on society's reliance on the automotive industry. There's a reason this sort of thing happens way more in NA compared to anywhere else. Doesn't help that the punishment for a DUI is quite lax in many states.

Cars are bad for the environment, they're bad for safety, they're even bad for maintaining a sense of community. Really the only things they're good for are convenience and instant gratification. Truly the American dream.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The driver in question had previous DUI, was driving drunk, and had even self reported 5-6 drinks and failed the roadside sobriety test. it has nothing at all to do with getting to work.
Did you miss this part?

"This specific case is a clear cut example of an individual making a series of horrible choices that make him a total piece of shit, but not every case of someone driving drunk is like that"

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

“Oh boy, what an inconvenience”

You just killed two people you f***ing idiot

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Did you miss this part?

"This specific case is a clear cut example of an individual making a series of horrible choices that make him a total piece of shit, but not every case of someone driving drunk is like that"
Are you really expecting myself or anybody in the thread to make such distinction within hours of this tragedy and in a thread discussing the tragedy? Seriously try to read the room a bit. Not the time or place.

Impaired driving is disgusting, reprehensible and kills innocent people all the time. I'll make no distinction in saying that.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That road is barely wide enough for 2 cars and this idiot thought that passing someone driving in the center was alright?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Did you miss this part?

Every case of someone driving drunk is someone making a horrible choice and makes them a total piece of shit.

If you live in a rural area and can’t handle going to a bar without getting drunk and don’t have any option to get home other than driving yourself, than don’t go to the bar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad