News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Followed the Gaudreau speculation late into last night hoping to wake up this morning to hear he was safe. Unfortunately another wife, parents, siblings, and kids live the worst nightmare of loved ones lost to the senseless act of drunk driving. Have friends in Saskatoon who are living through this nightmare with recent loss of their mid-twenties oldest son.

While Gaudreau was the enemy on the ice it was still easy to admire and respect electric talent in a pubescect paperboy's body. Such skill and joy in his play. Rest in Peace Gaudreau boys.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Wow this is terrible. Not a damn thing about this popped up in my socials; I learned about it here, but that is a different topic entirely.

It's very angering; I am filled with it. Instead of adding to the anger I'll go downstairs and hit the heavy bag. Not a damn thing we can do about it.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I can't image what their sister is going thru. Having her brothers there for her wedding. Now every year instead of remember that special day she will be remind of her brothers.

RIP to Johnny and Mathew and may god help their family to find comfort
It's never the drunk drivers who end up dying in these accidents either.
I start 1 fight in my life. It was a guy that killed a brother and sister that were walking to the store. 6 year old boy with 11 year old sister walking him to the store and the idiot laughed about in .

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I feel terrible for the Gaudreau family but I also feel terrible for the Jackets organization and their fans. Certainly we've taken jabs at the team before but this is still a franchise that has struggled more than any other to forge a name and identity in this league and finally a star player comes along and willingly chooses them over the other teams and while it certainly hasn't played out the way that team would've liked, it still represented something of a ray of hope that maybe perception would change about Columbus and the team. This is an absolutely devastating setback for everyone involved and I'm not sure how they'll recover from this.

It's also a brutal reminder that hockey players are still human at the end of the day. There's been discussions at length about the mental aspect of it, but although tough, their bodies are not invincible either.

Never forget that everyone here makes millions of decisions every day and while small, some may have lasting effects on hundreds, if not thousands of people. Choose wisely.

Hopefully born out of this senseless tragedy is a greater focus on the effects of drunk driving. That it still continues to be a problem in today's society is so disturbing. Call a taxi, get a friend to take you home, you have dozens of options besides getting behind the wheel. If you're an alcoholic and need help, go get it. Nobody will look down on you for trying to fight your demons.

Anyway I've made myself depressed so I'll stop here.

Reactions: oilers'72

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
Condolences to the family. Sister getting married the next day. Wow. Columbus is where that young goalie passed a couple of years ago as well I believe. The fireworks incident.

As we all await Drai's contract and are pumped/stressed about it, life is short. Instead using some time to reflect on the above and for our own team losing Cave, young Ben and Moss.

Our debates and opinions can be fun but this puts life into perspective.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
1725032655128.png

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
As someone that pulled absolutely no punches hating and ragging on the guy on the ice, I couldn't be any more devastated to hear the news this morning. I can't imagine how brutal things are for his family this morning, especially in the context of the wedding.

He made the rivalry with the Flames a lot of fun, and he was one of the catalysts to bring the best out of the two teams again for that period from 2015-22 where the teams truly hated each other. Even though he was on the other team, when I take a step back I truly did enjoy watching him play in the big picture. Lots of good memories watching him on the ice.

Just terrible.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Awful news and a scenario that anyone who has spent a significant amount of time riding their bike is familiar with. A lot of drivers are either indifferent or actively hostile to the presence of cyclists on the road.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Hockey is a small world and fans always recognize true talent even when on the other side. I always enjoys watching Johnny Hockey and am sad to hear this news.

Shedding a tear on this news. Thinking of his family and hopping they get the support they need.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Just awful. So many drunks still on the road, when are people going to wake the f*** up?

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
this guy obviously is a drunk and drives drunk regularly, to be that comfortable driving super aggressively while under the influence. sounds like he was honest with the police on the scene, which is legally not great for him but to me it shows that he is taking responsibility for it. He kinda murdered these guys but it obviously wasnt his intention. Difference between homicide and manslaughter. I don't think he'll be getting out of prison any time soon but maybe he will turn it around some day. I'm sure its hard to live with yourself if you're honest about what you did here, which he seems to be. He obviously sucks, I bet he is a shitty driver even sober, but thats how a lot of people are. But I dont see the point in hating him. Maybe he can do something good with whatever life he has left. Probably dies in shame tbh so whats the point of hating him?

Reactions: oilers'72

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
@5minsforfighting
I'm aware of the circumstances of this case. The guy was drunk, but he felt entitled to get behind the wheel and to get ahead of other vehicles. I've seen the exact same kind of reckless driving and entitlement from drivers who are sober.

Reactions: alphahelix

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Absolutely devastating news.

RIP Johnny Hockey. You were a phenomenal hockey player and great ambassador for the sport.

Deepest condolences to their families. Such an absolute tragedy.

Hug your kids and hug your parents. Hug your loved ones, because you never know how much time is left. It's always less than you think.

Reactions: Duke74

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
this guy obviously is a drunk and drives drunk regularly, to be that comfortable driving super aggressively while under the influence. sounds like he was honest with the police on the scene, which is legally not great for him but to me it shows that he is taking responsibility for it. He kinda murdered these guys but it obviously wasnt his intention. Difference between homicide and manslaughter. I don't think he'll be getting out of prison any time soon but maybe he will turn it around some day. I'm sure its hard to live with yourself if you're honest about what you did here, which he seems to be. He obviously sucks, I bet he is a shitty driver even sober, but thats how a lot of people are. But I dont see the point in hating him. Maybe he can do something good with whatever life he has left. Probably dies in shame tbh so whats the point of hating him?
What part was he honest about, the 5 or 6 beers, probably had a bit more than that. I still believe in an eye for eye punishment.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Awful news and a scenario that anyone who has spent a significant amount of time riding their bike is familiar with. A lot of drivers are either indifferent or actively hostile to the presence of cyclists on the road.
I also said it in the main thread: the maddening thing is so many people have come to not respect the fact that operating motor vehicle is extremely dangerous with high consequences, and take ridiculous risks with their own and other's lives for minimal time savings.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I just want to point out to you OP that I'm glad you didn't sugarcoat it by saying he "passed away". He didn't. He was killed. It's a horrific tragedy caused by a reckless idiot who thought they knew better.

Plan ahead, people. There's never an excuse for drunk driving. It destroys so many lives.
Even if you don't plan ahead, It's easier than ever to get a ride home with an Uber or whatever. Plus this person was driving super aggressive. So ultimately this was an awful human being who deserves the max sentence with no parole. Once they get out they shouldn't get a drivers license for the rest of their life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad