News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
We've built a society in which it's almost mandatory that you need to drive to function so is it a surprise people will go to extreme lengths to maintain their ability to operate a vehicle?
Come on. Let's not blame society here. It's not hard to not drink and drive. Call a cab. Book an uber. Bring a DD. Walk the f*** home. Really doesn't matter. But the only person responsible imo is the person that chooses to drive while intoxicated.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
We've built a society that worships vice and alcohol and drug usage. We've done this increasingly.

When you say function not sure what you mean. Its not necessarily that people are driving to work drunk. Its often the case they are driving drunk after drinking or picking up more booze, or whatever they need.

A person with a standard 9-5shift is perhaps sleeping and waking up to go to work. This might be the time where they are the least likely to be impaired albeit there are morning drinkers.

But the by and large, and in this instance also, the impaired driving murderer is just driving home after drinking. Your invoking driving being a necessity is not even connected with this case and a strange comment to make.
I know you mean well but I'd echo my above comment. Yes, many people have issues with alcohol, and that doesn't get enough attention. But as far as drunk driving goes, it's easy enough to avoid. It's not a drinking problem so much as a choosing to drive problem.

Reactions: oilers'72 and K1984

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Well the question on that would be whether the establishment would have known (or could have known) that he'd be driving. In any case, I think it was reported that one of the charges was for having open alcohol in the vehicle. Sounds like he might have been drinking while driving.
Holy **** that's disgusting

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Absolute scum of the Earth! A good friend of mine lost both grandparents, his brother and nephew to a drunk driver that barely did any time and re-offended multiple times. If you continue to make such terrible decisions in life, you shouldn't have any freedom. RIP Johnny and Matthew, that's so devastating to the family and the hockey world.

My wife's friend was killed by a drunk driver 5-6 years ago on his third offence.

He faced 5 years in prison, and I don't believe he even served half of it.

I do believe the United States is harsher on people for things like this. The guy should never see the outside of a prison cell for the rest of his life. Although this type of punishment certainly wouldn't deter the upper echelon of deadbeats, it would sure as hell deter some.

What a brutal tragedy for something that is so easily avoidable this day and age.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I know you mean well but I'd echo my above comment. Yes, many people have issues with alcohol, and that doesn't get enough attention. But as far as drunk driving goes, it's easy enough to avoid. It's not a drinking problem so much as a choosing to drive problem.
For clarity I hadn't insinuated anything different than what you are stating. But as somebody in the field I do have trouble separating the two. Societies constant condoning, grooming, and acceptance and even glorification of substance abuse of course relates to there being more substance abusers, who of course can avoid driving impaired but a subset of those that will continue to make terrible decisions and drive while impaired.

I hope this is clear.

Agreed. However I can't seem to find the source that said that so I'm deleting my post until I can. Don't want to be spreading misinformation, situation is difficult enough as it is.
Yeah. I hadn't seen that information anywhere. That said could be a report that was redacted, corrected, or somebody advised against writing it or some site that edited it out. .

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72 and ujju2

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
This has nothing to do with being drunk. Anyone who is aggressive, impatient, and speeding will crash like this when attempting to pass a slow-moving car that's driving in the middle of the two lanes. You can't see the biker until it's too late. Slow the f... down
I dont know about that bruh. As if being drunk doesnt play a big role. Impaired driving is pretty much the #1 cause of criminal deaths in Canada

Reactions: oilers'72

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I dont know about that bruh. As if being drunk doesnt play a big role. Impaired driving is pretty much the #1 cause of criminal deaths in Canada
It can be both.

Even here in Edmonton I have sometimes been passed in the parking lane if I dare to go 40km/hr on my neighborhood street. Which could easily kill someone, or plow through a fence/tree on the the sidewalk, which has happened multiple times in the last decade. Some people's entitlement knows no bounds when they get behind the wheel yet they regularly make these manoevres.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
As someone that pulled absolutely no punches hating and ragging on the guy on the ice, I couldn't be any more devastated to hear the news this morning. I can't imagine how brutal things are for his family this morning, especially in the context of the wedding.

He made the rivalry with the Flames a lot of fun, and he was one of the catalysts to bring the best out of the two teams again for that period from 2015-22 where the teams truly hated each other. Even though he was on the other team, when I take a step back I truly did enjoy watching him play in the big picture. Lots of good memories watching him on the ice.

Just terrible.

Struggled to find the right words, exactly how I feel

Absolutely brutal

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Even if you don't plan ahead, It's easier than ever to get a ride home with an Uber or whatever. Plus this person was driving super aggressive. So ultimately this was an awful human being who deserves the max sentence with no parole. Once they get out they shouldn't get a drivers license for the rest of their life.
I don’t think no licence is gonna stop this guy from driving.

Keep him locked up

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Were they riding bikes on the highway in the evening? Sounds pretty insane.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
No they were riding bikes in the bike lane and a drunk passed cars on the right side like a f***ing lunatic.

Derek Ryan's thoughts.

I'm so saddened and frustrated with how pointlessly tragic this is.

But the bike lane was on the regular intercity highway?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Were they riding bikes on the highway in the evening? Sounds pretty insane.
It was a “rural” road according to the media. Assuming a lightly travelled road.

I visited a friend in northern Minnesota 20 years ago and was surprised to see and learn that (in that state) there was no such thing as a gravel road there. Everything had asphalt surfacing. No lines or demarcations though. Perhaps Jersey is the same.

The fact that it was after sundown is immaterial based on the aggressive/intoxicated driving reported. Even in Arizona where I spend a lot of time, many, many people cycle in the dark, with appropriate lighting, reflective gear etc.. You would be surprised to see how shorter the days are, year round, in the lower 48. 6pm-6am in a lot of spots. We are blessed with long summer days here in north western Canada.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
It was a “rural” road according to the media. Assuming a lightly travelled road.

I visited a friend in northern Minnesota 20 years ago and was surprised to see and learn that (in that state) there was no such thing as a gravel road there. Everything had asphalt surfacing. No lines or demarcations though. Perhaps Jersey is the same.

The fact that it was after sundown is immaterial based on the aggressive/intoxicated driving reported. Even in Arizona where I spend a lot of time, many, many people cycle in the dark, with appropriate lighting, reflective gear etc.. You would be surprised to see how shorter the days are, year round, in the lower 48. 6pm-6am in a lot of spots. We are blessed with long summer days here in north western Canada.
Obviously the drunk guy bears the responsibility. Riding bikes is probably not too safe in general.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Obviously the drunk guy bears the responsibility. Riding bikes is probably not too safe in general.
I walk and cycle a fair amount on driving surfaces because of a lack of sidewalks where I live. I’ve been run off the road more times than I can remember. There are assholes driving cars, and also some riding bikes and walking on roads. It’s a fact. However, I would hope everyone could find the reasonable middle ground to respect all users of the road surface and act accordingly for everyone’s sake.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG

I just saw the road where the accident happened. Paved and a solid yellow line throughout. Solid yellow.. You don't pass.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
You're right, you definitely need to take your life in your hands every time you consider biking. Well said.
You should edit out the bike lanes from your post as it was very incorrect. Don't take this a defence to the drunk driver that I feel should be punished equally to the Gaudreau brothers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad