News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Absolute scum of the Earth! A good friend of mine lost both grandparents, his brother and nephew to a drunk driver that barely did any time and re-offended multiple times. If you continue to make such terrible decisions in life, you shouldn't have any freedom. RIP Johnny and Matthew, that's so devastating to the family and the hockey world.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
This was tough to wake up to today. Was really hoping that redacted tweet last night was a simple hoax. People generally suck, and this senseless act just echoes that sentiment. Laws on drinking and driving are only good until they're broken, unfortunately.

May God watch over their family both present and future, as well as the entire CBJ organization and all effected.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If you kill someone after drinking and driving then you should be getting a 1st degree murder charge. You make the decision to take your car to a place to drink and then decide to start drinking. In today's world there's no excuse to not take an uber if you're drunk since you can get literally across any city in North America for under $50. If you're drinking at home and still needing to drink more or get food then you can get literally anything delivered to your house. If you don't want toleave your car at the bar there's services that will drive you and your car to your house. It's literally people being stupid, selfish and cheap that drink and drive and deserve the harshest penalty possible.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
That's some reckless driving. Passing on a county road is usually allowed but when the front SUV is going to the middle of the road, you don't try to pass him. There's a pretty good chance they're trying to avoid something. Instead this driver took it as an opportunity to pass which is selfish af . I've never seen that scenario in my years of driving.

Rest in peace Johnny and Matthew.

syder

Sep 4, 2008
This has nothing to do with being drunk. Anyone who is aggressive, impatient, and speeding will crash like this when attempting to pass a slow-moving car that's driving in the middle of the two lanes. You can't see the biker until it's too late. Slow the f... down

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I also said it in the main thread: the maddening thing is so many people have come to not respect the fact that operating motor vehicle is extremely dangerous with high consequences, and take ridiculous risks with their own and other's lives for minimal time savings.

We've done an amazing job making cars bigger and heavier with crumple zones, airbags, rear and blindspot cameras that have made them so much safer for drivers that I think a lot of people become disconnected from that fact.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This has nothing to do with being drunk. Anyone who is aggressive, impatient, and speeding will crash like this when attempting to pass a slow-moving car that's driving in the middle of the two lanes. You can't see the biker until it's too late. Slow the f... down
BS. Drinking slows your reaction time and can skew your decision making.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As bad as it is the guy was drunk there are simply too many people on the roads that shouldn't be in the first place.

The amount of accidents in this City in the summer is downright scary with snow only a few months away.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Heartbreaking news. Both him and his brother too? What a tragedy first my condolences to his family and friends.

Will give this guy his props, getting a slam dunk player like this in the 4th round or whatever is the dream of any scouting department, what an incredibly skilled player, one of the few players I would ever hold my breath when he had the puck on his stick. So creative.

Watching him and McDavid and Matthews on that 2016 Team North America team together, they were something.

Slow down when you're driving folks, getting some where 1-2 minutes early is not worth driving recklessly and of course never, ever drive drunk.

I just feel terrible for his family, man there's almost no words.

Reactions: Mitts

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Just awful. So many drunks still on the road, when are people going to wake the f*** up?
Will they ever?

RIP Johnny and Matthew. Both victims deserve mentioning.

My wife volunteers with MAAD. I've assisted with Victims services through the years.

The wake up is never. Thats the tragedy and that people should be pissed off with always. You wouldn't believe the losers we encounter that are indifferent drunk driving, that still see it as no problem, and the many people that still tolerate it whether it be friends, family, significant others.

Gonna also mention that with the legalizing of Marijuana its opened another hells gate into the problem of impaired driving and acceptance of intoxicated driving and the carnage that ensues.

Until such drivers are considered murderers and treated as such by both the law and their own network this continues unabated. Most of these impaired drivers serially drive impaired. These are not one offs. Most situations like this the people involved are alcoholics, addicts, and are intoxicated much of the time, and drive.

Authorities should also determine where this man was drinking and investigate that too. Usually there are others that aided and abetted and allowed an impaired person to drive.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

All he had to do was call a taxi or hail an Uber.

All it takes is one click once you create an Uber account on an Uber app to order one. Something so simple and easy that could save lives, amazing to me that drunk driving is such a problem still when there's so many outlets nowadays to avoid it. I guess you can't fix stupid.

Reactions: oilers'72

Victor000

Dec 23, 2022
Omg, that's terrible. I teased the guy plenty as I'm sure many of you did, but that was just to fool around. This is real life, and it sucks. RIP to the boys and condolences to their loved ones.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Even if you don't plan ahead, It's easier than ever to get a ride home with an Uber or whatever. Plus this person was driving super aggressive. So ultimately this was an awful human being who deserves the max sentence with no parole. Once they get out they shouldn't get a drivers license for the rest of their life.
The drivers license doesn't even factor. These individuals will continue to drive regardless without license or insurance and sometimes not even in their own vehicle.

Ignition interlock devices are probably the most common and somewhat effective deterrent but even the efficacy of these has gone down severely now as people also sidestep by using other substances, notably marijuana and continue to drive high.

Disgusting as it is one of the most frequent online queries related to Ignition interlock devices is what other drugs will it detect. Offenders purposely searching for substances they can still drive impaired with, while being sentenced to drive with Interlock devices DUE to being serial impaired driving offenders. These people actually have the audacity (and stupidity) to be asking online about what other substances they can ingest that are not detected by the ignition interlock. People actually answer these questions. This just being one indication of the acceptance of impaired driving that exists.

But heres the deal. People will get up this morn, read about the latest tragedy, think about the issue awhile and nothing will get done about it. Worse we'll have govts normalizing and legalizing the use of other substances and drugs which obviously make impaired driving problems worse and are undetectable unless people practically blow smoke into the device.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
You 'might' be right that he is a reckless driver when sober, but he was drunk last night and he needs to be accountable for this. Hopefully he gets the chair, maybe that would deter more people from drinking and driving...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
RIP to both of the brothers. Terrible tragedy. Devastating for all of their family and loved ones. I can’t imagine being their sister and going from the high of getting married the next day to finding out your two brothers have been killed.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The drivers license doesn't even factor. These individuals will continue to drive regardless without license or insurance and sometimes not even in their own vehicle.

Ignition interlock devices are probably the most common and somewhat effective deterrent but even the efficacy of these has gone down severely now as people also sidestep by using other substances, notably marijuana and continue to drive high.

Disgusting as it is one of the most frequent online queries related to Ignition interlock devices is what other drugs will it detect. Offenders purposely searching for substances they can still drive impaired with, while being sentenced to drive with Interlock devices DUE to being serial impaired driving offenders. These people actually have the audacity (and stupidity) to be asking online about what other substances they can ingest that are not detected by the ignition interlock. People actually answer these questions. This just being one indication of the acceptance of impaired driving that exists.

But heres the deal. People will get up this morn, read about the latest tragedy, think about the issue awhile and nothing will get done about it. Worse we'll have govts normalizing and legalizing the use of other substances and drugs which obviously make impaired driving problems worse and are undetectable unless people practically blow smoke into the device.

We've built a society in which it's almost mandatory that you need to drive to function so is it a surprise people will go to extreme lengths to maintain their ability to operate a vehicle?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
We've built a society in which it's almost mandatory that you need to drive to function so is it a surprise people will go to extreme lengths to maintain their ability to operate a vehicle?
We've built a society that worships vice and alcohol and drug usage. We've done this increasingly.

When you say function not sure what you mean. Its not necessarily that people are driving to work drunk. Its often the case they are driving drunk after drinking or picking up more booze, or whatever they figure they need.

A person with a standard 9-5shift is perhaps sleeping and waking up to go to work. This might be the time where they are the least likely to be as impaired, albeit there are morning drinkers.

But the by and large, and in this instance also, the impaired driving murderer is just driving elsewhere, probably home, after drinking. Your invoking driving being a necessity is not even connected with this case and a strange comment to make.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
One of the key effects of alcohol is it reduces inhibition, effects decision making and exacerbates tendencies already there. In other words it makes driving worse, driving behavior worse, and it impacts reaction time, processing, functioning behind the wheel.

Again I'd wonder why you even make the comment. Certainly killing somebody while driving drunk involves the substance(s) used as a primary contributor.

Imagine if the roadside authorities adopted your stance. subject is staggering, slurring, "clearly this has nothing to do with driving drunk"

c'mon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad